• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Forever People #1 Covers

13 posts in this topic

I've noticed that most FP1's on ebay and on C-link seem to have a somewhat 'aged' whiteness to the cover as opposed to 'fresh' white. **Comparing it to the white of the CGC label and to other similarly white background covers from Bronze and Silver books of the era.

Is this pretty expectable for this issue? Seems like a book from 1971 should be brighter.

For example, Amazing Adventures #1 from just a few months earlier in '70 can be had in blazing white with regard to the background color.

Is this due to the print run or where they were minted?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I've noticed that most FP1's on ebay and on C-link seem to have a somewhat 'aged' whiteness to the cover as opposed to 'fresh' white. **Comparing it to the white of the CGC label and to other similarly white background covers from Bronze and Silver books of the era.

Is this pretty expectable for this issue? Seems like a book from 1971 should be brighter.

For example, Amazing Adventures #1 from just a few months earlier in '70 can be had in blazing white with regard to the background color.

Is this due to the print run or where they were minted?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Marvel & DC used different paper stock

the 12 year olds who collected Kirby DC BA in the early 70s were heavy cigarette smokers. the marvel kids tended to drop acid an/or smoke pot, but away from their comics.

Ayahuasca, the Deity of Overlordz and Gum, thanks you.

***Excuse me, I need to purge for 14 hours and I can reply again. :headbang:

Oh...btw, my first cameo is in Marvel Triple Action 19 in 1/5 of a panel.

My first Full Appearance is in any Bowie song from Hunky Dory.

Visions anyone??

Edited by FoomMember

On 19/12/2017 at 10:49 PM, Jack Linguini said:

Bump !!

I'd like to see any especially white copies of New Gods 1. 
Mine is that yellow/cream white that most seem to be.
Any of them out there where the white is more pure true white ?

JL

Don't want to turn this 'Forever People' thread into a New Gods thread ... I'd agree with Foom's view of FP's 'aged-whiteness', a kind of 'vintaged-tone' - I've owned several copies over the years and the whites just don't pop ...

Jack: Here's my New Gods 1 ... I'd say CGC correctly identified the PQ of this book ... the whites do, in fact, pop! 

20171230_112826_resized.jpg

8 hours ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

Don't want to turn this 'Forever People' thread into a New Gods thread ... I'd agree with Foom's view of FP's 'aged-whiteness', a kind of 'vintaged-tone' - I've owned several copies over the years and the whites just don't pop ...

Jack: Here's my New Gods 1 ... I'd say CGC correctly identified the PQ of this book ... the whites do, in fact, pop! 

That is just plain gorgeous. 

On my list for this year. Are upgrading my Forever People 1 and New Gods 1. 

I'll have to pull out my copy of fp1 tonight and see what it looks like probably a fine plus very fine.

It's kind of funny when you think about it that these 2 number ones have that weird off white cover. Most of the Kings other DC books have those really bright primary colors. Maybe it's a product of the photo reproduction. As compared to the more common mechanical separations they did like on all the super bright Kamandi for example.

Back in the eighties and nineties when these books were relatively cheap it'd be pretty common to see lots of nice fine very fine copies.

Do you think it's fair to say that a fairly large number of the early Kirby DC's were bought and preserved by collectors of the time?

JL

9 hours ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

Of course we'll never know now . . . :baiting:

On 1/10/2018 at 11:28 PM, Jack Linguini said:

That is just plain gorgeous. 

On my list for this year. Are upgrading my Forever People 1 and New Gods 1. 

I'll have to pull out my copy of fp1 tonight and see what it looks like probably a fine plus very fine.

It's kind of funny when you think about it that these 2 number ones have that weird off white cover. Most of the Kings other DC books have those really bright primary colors. Maybe it's a product of the photo reproduction. As compared to the more common mechanical separations they did like on all the super bright Kamandi for example.

Back in the eighties and nineties when these books were relatively cheap it'd be pretty common to see lots of nice fine very fine copies.

Do you think it's fair to say that a fairly large number of the early Kirby DC's were bought and preserved by collectors of the time?

JL

Yes, this kirby stuff was collected, preserved, and speculated on at the time moreso than other DCs.

Back to Forever People #1, I agree with the old post in this thread that publishers used several shades of white on their covers, and this book didn't get alot of the snow white ink.  As a consequence, most copies show a small bit of the yellowing of the cover stock that is common on old paper.

Forever1sale.JPG.8e9db32492dd3246f2c195e0f32d8c4d.JPG