• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Global Shipping Program

93 posts in this topic

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before here but I'm coming up empty on search.

Does anyone here use the eBay Global Shipping Program to ship their books internationally?

I'd be very curious to hear peoples overall thoughts on the service. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Scam.

Please don't use it. Rather offer international at cost. The paperwork isn't that hard to figure out and ALL of your international purchasers will thank you for it.

Some Sellers love it. Most buyers hate it. I don't sell a whole lot on ebay, but when I do I use it b/c it is convenient. I have an inexpensive book up right now and the bidder is from Australia. I messaged him and said shipping is free (to Kentucky I think) but I have no idea what eBay is going to charge you from there as I have no control over it. The implication being, that if he wanted to back out, then I would be ok w/it. Haven't heard boo from him/her.

cgc board search 'global shipping'

:foryou:

If you're a UK buyer I'd avoid it since taxes that aren't supposed to be collected get charged by Pitney Bowes in error. Other places, figure it out & compare it to what you "should" get charged if you want to make a fair comparison.

I've used it once to Canada and it was reasonable and a bit quicker than regular USPS.

I shipped internationally for many, many years on eBay. But eventually I got tired of the fact that the only major problem transactions I had were international ones. Once the packages left the US, they became practically impossible to track, and it really became a headache, as eBay buyers seemed to only be getting flakier. Packages "lost" in Russia, France, etc. Also, being yelled at in languages I can't understand...it just got to be old.

So, I stopped shipping internationally altogether, and was fine with it. This isn't a business for me, it's a hobby, and when the hobby gets annoying, I remove the annoying parts (as much as possible). I understood the good, honest buyers who were sad that I wouldn't sell outside of the US, but I stuck to my guns because it was simply less of a hassle for me. I strive to have a hassle-free existence.

Once eBay offered the GSP, I gave it a whirl, and have really enjoyed it. I wasn't shipping internationally before, so now, if someone wants to bother with eBay's outrageously jacked up fees in order to buy my item, be my guest. I ship it for next to nothing a couple of counties away, and eBay takes care of the hassle if anything goes haywire.

I 100% understand buyers who don't like the practice, and I don't blame them a bit. But as the general populace of eBay buyers become increasingly unreliable, I find this is the most pain-free way for me to sell.

Now, on the boards, I happily ship internationally. The rigorous diligence and policing that happens on these boards blows eBay's practically useless feedback system out of the water, and I have never had a bad international transaction on these boards.

So, in short I'd say:

- If you want to make the most money possible while also making the most people happy, ship internationally on your own and avoid GSP.

- If you want to have the least hassle in your life but you still want the occasional international buyer, and you don't mind people complaining about the fact that you use it, use GSP.

- Feel confident about selling internationally on the boards here, because these folks can sniff out a rat (and then tar and feather them) with the best detectives!

As a buyer, the GSP can sometimes work in your favour. Shipping payments are split into two:

International Priority via Pitney Bowes

Import charges

The "import charges" are fairly random. Sometimes they're $0.00 and you can get your item shipped for as little as $21 priority US to UK.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before here but I'm coming up empty on search.

Does anyone here use the eBay Global Shipping Program to ship their books internationally?

I'd be very curious to hear peoples overall thoughts on the service. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest that you only use it for big, bulky items. It's expensive for comics. Personally, I stay away from GSP auctions for comics. I collect hockey sticks and it's awesome for those!

James

Some great stuff here. Thanks everyone.

Normally I don't offer international shipping but it sounds like it may be worth offering in the event that an international buyer wants your item bad enough to pay all the fees.

If you ship a book to the Kentucky hub in a priority box I assume they rebox it for the international leg of the trip? Has anybody experienced damage to say a CGC slab due to this process?

I've used it many times and haven't yet experienced damage to a slab. What I can tell you is EVERYTHING gets opened up and double checked before the international leg. PB check nothing "extra" gets shipped with the original purchase.

I use Global Shipping for a different account that I am handling for a relative and have yet to make an international sale. That account is handling jewelry though so I decided that global shipping offered a higher level of protection against higher value items that could easily be swiped in the shipping process.

Scam.

Please don't use it. Rather offer international at cost. The paperwork isn't that hard to figure out and ALL of your international purchasers will thank you for it.

Best program I've used with eBay in a long time. I'm not on the other end of the final amounts added to the buyer, in fact as a seller, I've never seen what amount is added, I can only hope it's somewhat realistic for import fees etc. I also, always try to take offers into consideration if someone is attempting to purchase from outside the U.S.

I've also sold a lot more internationally safer (for both buyer and seller) using this program.

Just the perspective of a seller who sells a lot using this program and is very happy with the results. Just another opinion. :)

As a buyer from Australia, the only downside I see is that they repack your purchase at the GSP outlet. So a US seller can ship me a slab double boxed and bomb proof, but it then gets repackaged and arrives to me in one box and a bit of bubble wrap.

Have received two slabs cracked via the GSP so far. Would rather pay a seller more to have them ship directly, but would rather the GSP than a seller who won't ship internationally at all.

As a buyer from Australia, the only downside I see is that they repack your purchase at the GSP outlet. So a US seller can ship me a slab double boxed and bomb proof, but it then gets repackaged and arrives to me in one box and a bit of bubble wrap.

Have received two slabs cracked via the GSP so far. Would rather pay a seller more to have them ship directly, but would rather the GSP than a seller who won't ship internationally at all.

Were you able to get some sort of compensation from eBay for the cracked slabs? How difficult was that process?

Ah great to know. Thank you. Final question as eBay is a bit vague:

If an international bidder does win the auction, the seller gets his sale price + the US shipping correct? To cover the cost of shipping to the Kentucky hub?

Thanks again for the help here.

That's correct (thumbs u

If an international bidder does win the auction, the seller gets his sale price + the US shipping correct? To cover the cost of shipping to the Kentucky hub?

That's correct (thumbs u

Thanks again for the info.

Also an Australian buyer. I don't buy slabs, and have never had a problem with the GSP. In fact I quite like seeing it in a listing.

That's correct (thumbs u

Thanks again for the info.

You're welcome. Glad to be of help.