• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Global Shipping Program

93 posts in this topic

As a buyer, I will avoid all GSP sellers like the plague. The basic shipping is often multiples of what other U.S. sellers are offering, and the import fees - which appear to be completely imaginary and amount to an illicit cash grab, to my mind - can sometimes run into the hundreds of dollars.

I think this is the 4th or 5th time we've had one of these threads start up, and the consensus has been pretty overwhelming. If you choose to use GSP, you are eliminating a significant chunk of your potential market.

As as seller it's great.

As a buyer it sucks.

Should be 0% import duty on books to UK, but the GSP often adds on 20-30% duty.

As the UK taxman will not ask for the tax as its not due, eBay probably just pockets a load of extra cash

I find as a buyer, I often benefit from the GSP. It just depends on the listing and the somewhat random import charges generated by the GSP itself. If they're $0.00 on a BIN, you'll get priority shipping for less than the standard USPS charge.

eBay claim not to benefit from the import charges and say it's all handled by Pitney Bowes. I asked PB to clarify why there are "import charges" on items that should not incur import VAT. Their response was the "import charges" are not just to cover VAT but also include a handling fee.

I consider each listing with GSP individually. If I can get Priority shipping + import charges for less than $30 on a slab or small batch of comics, I'm getting Priority shipping for the price of First Class International. If I can get shipping + import charges for less than $50, it's the same price as USPS Priority and has insurance. I would choose this for higher value purchases.

The GSP also gets goods through UK customs without a fuss. I've had several comic book purchases from the US which have incurred an import charge with UK customs because they didn't understand the information on the customs label.

Sometimes it's not a good option, for example with multiple purchases from the same seller. I've only once achieved a partial refund on combined shipping and up until recently, multiple purchases had to be shipped separately.

As a buyer, I will avoid all GSP sellers like the plague. The basic shipping is often multiples of what other U.S. sellers are offering, and the import fees - which appear to be completely imaginary and amount to an illicit cash grab, to my mind - can sometimes run into the hundreds of dollars.

I think this is the 4th or 5th time we've had one of these threads start up, and the consensus has been pretty overwhelming. If you choose to use GSP, you are eliminating a significant chunk of your potential market.

Appreciate the input here.

I could see where this may be true for persons already shipping internationally but for someone like myself, a seller who was previously shipping only to the U.S., it seems like it could only add potential buyers.

This. I'm still trying to find a way to filter out GSP listings from my searches. If anyone knows how, do tell!

Weird, I've bought quite a few books through the GSP and never had any import charges added. Maybe it's based on destination country? Value of item?

If anything, the shipping to Australia through the GSP is cheaper than average. I just hate rolling the dice on if my slab arrives in one piece.

Were you able to get some sort of compensation from eBay for the cracked slabs? How difficult was that process?

Never bothered. It's happened twice. One I cracked the book out and bagged & boarded it, the other I left in the slab. It sucks, but dealing with eBay is painful, plus I know it's not the sellers fault so I don't want to cause them any grief.

Global Shipping Program is ridiculous in the way it charges import duty that is not chargeable in the UK. There are countless books that I would've definitely purchased but have passed on because GSP has caused them to be overpriced solely because of the added import charges that shouldn't be there.

Weird, I've bought quite a few books through the GSP and never had any import charges added. Maybe it's based on destination country? Value of item?

If anything, the shipping to Australia through the GSP is cheaper than average. I just hate rolling the dice on if my slab arrives in one piece.

Were you able to get some sort of compensation from eBay for the cracked slabs? How difficult was that process?

Never bothered. It's happened twice. One I cracked the book out and bagged & boarded it, the other I left in the slab. It sucks, but dealing with eBay is painful, plus I know it's not the sellers fault so I don't want to cause them any grief.

I don't think Australian duties/taxes apply until an item hits $1 K in value and a bulk cargo consolidation of various orders to Australia should be more cost effective than individual packages moving that distance internationally.

I don't think Australian duties/taxes apply until an item hits $1 K in value and a bulk cargo consolidation of various orders to Australia should be more cost effective than individual packages moving that distance internationally.

Correct.

Under $1,000 (Aus) there is no import fee (GST) on ANYTHING.

Edit: Better be quick. GST will apply to all imports from July 2017

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before here but I'm coming up empty on search.

Does anyone here use the eBay Global Shipping Program to ship their books internationally?

I'd be very curious to hear peoples overall thoughts on the service. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Do a search using the General Forum, newer than 1 year and "global shipping" and you will find a 1000 reasons not to use it. It's legalized robbery.

Global Shipping Program is ridiculous in the way it charges import duty that is not chargeable in the UK. There are countless books that I would've definitely purchased but have passed on because GSP has caused them to be overpriced solely because of the added import charges that shouldn't be there.

This.

I'd love to know how ebay negotiated that one...

"Technically of course, there are no import duties or taxes on some goods, such as printed matter."

"No, but we'll split the money with you, and we'll all be better off - apart from the ordinary people who have to pay the totally unjust and unrecoverable fees...but screw them."

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before here but I'm coming up empty on search.

Does anyone here use the eBay Global Shipping Program to ship their books internationally?

I'd be very curious to hear peoples overall thoughts on the service. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Do a search using the General Forum, newer than 1 year and "global shipping" and you will find a 1000 reasons not to use it. It's legalized robbery.

+1....legalised robbery for sure. (thumbs u

There are books on ebay right now that I won't pull the trigger on simply because the seller has decided not to ship international priority.

There are books on ebay right now that I won't pull the trigger on simply because the seller has decided not to ship international priority.

+1 add to the fact that the cheapest shipping option I can find is $15 USD, which is over $20 CAD for 1 book, buying comics is close to impossible for me right now. :sick:

This!

I use it, and it has definitely cost me some sales, as I've gotten pm's stating as such. But my convenience is generally worth more to me than the sales, and I've definitely sold quite a few things through the global shipping as well.

I use it, and it has definitely cost me some sales, as I've gotten pm's stating as such. But my convenience is generally worth more to me than the sales, and I've definitely sold quite a few things through the global shipping as well.

If you only sell collectibles...it takes about 10 minutes to learn how to do an international sale and takes maybe 30s longer than a domestic sale. Do all your international friends a favour and drop the scamming global shipping program.

One reason for the poll: I haven't run any big eBay auctions for a while, and I'm trying to decide whether to sell internationally -- and if so whether I'm better protected from scammers if I use Global Shipping. One of my big concerns is selling a high-value item to somebody in another country, and then they return something else, or claim item not received. How often does that happen, though? Also, are there enough determined international bidders on comic books to make it worthwhile to include them in an auction scenario?