• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Global Shipping Program

93 posts in this topic

GSP is a con and I have great concern with it being used for collectibles

Adds significant and unneccessary expense to buyers

Comics do not have customs charges imported into the UK, thus that surcharge is simply a way for PB to make money

Items are sent to PB then re-packaged (!!!) can you imagine the potential for damage there

The shipping duration is extended by an extra 7-10 days

It's cut down a lot of my purchases from the USA unfortunately

I'm a tad puzzled as to why sellers who do use GSP don't seem to understand that, by using it, non US buyers are simply looking the other way rather than bid on their books.

At least we would be bidding up the final price rather than ignoring the sale altogether.

I'm a tad puzzled as to why sellers who do use GSP don't seem to understand that, by using it, non US buyers are simply looking the other way rather than bid on their books.

At least we would be bidding up the final price rather than ignoring the sale altogether.

I would have to disagree with you, my fellow British boardie :) It's all a matter of choosing the auctions (or even BINs) carefully. If there's $0.00 on the import charges and you only bid in small increments, you're quids in if you win.

I've just purchased a $35 CGC from the US on a 1 bid auction. I paid $23 for shipping and $0 import charges. I've paid the equivalent for USPS First Class International and will be getting Priority shipping.

I do agree there shouldn't be import charges on printed matter. If an auction has import charges, I won't bid. That's where ebay and the sellers lose custom. PB try to justify the "import charges" as including a handling fee. When the import charges increase with each bid on a printed matter item, that's a con.

GSP is a con and I have great concern with it being used for collectibles

Adds significant and unneccessary expense to buyers

Comics do not have customs charges imported into the UK, thus that surcharge is simply a way for PB to make money

Items are sent to PB then re-packaged (!!!) can you imagine the potential for damage there

The shipping duration is extended by an extra 7-10 days

It's cut down a lot of my purchases from the USA unfortunately

:foryou:

There have been lots of books that I would've purchased on the spot if the ridiculous GSP charges weren't there to hike up the price. It's unbelievably frustrating to not buy books that I want solely due to being charged taxes that aren't even chargeable. I think it's disgusting that they can get away with pocketing money through deception like that.

Most of my outgoing eBay messages consist of me asking sellers if they would consider opting out of GSP so I can bid/hit the bin on their listing - once I explain how much extra I'm being charged on top of their standard shipping quote most are pretty receptive.

I'ma uk based E bayer who up until a month ago was selling worldwide as I have since 2003.

I refused all of fee pays kind offers to enrol in their GSP and offered my own international postage rates. However in this last month I've found that when I list an item it is impossible to offer shipping anywhere else than the UK (those options are now shaded out) unless I opt into global program then lo I can once again ship worldwide.

I want no part of GSP as it is illegal. ALL PRINTED MATTER is exempt from any import/duty fees by law over here(due to an old law on the statuary books about reading matters educational value). I ,ve had a butchers at Pisstake bastards(pittany Bowes) web site and they even state that import fees for books in to the uk is zero so by their own admission they shouldn't be adding on charges.

GSP= SCAM.

I'm currently dealing with my tax assessment with the inland revenue while I am at it it is about time this scam was brought to their attention(for all the good that will probably do,but still).

I use an older version of the eBay app on android and change country to US if I want to list something aimed at our friends across the pond. I will only ship to 3 countries US, Canada, and UK everywhere else is exempt and I always leave the GSP option unticked.

I'ma uk based E bayer who up until a month ago was selling worldwide as I have since 2003.

I refused all of fee pays kind offers to enrol in their GSP and offered my own international postage rates. However in this last month I've found that when I list an item it is impossible to offer shipping anywhere else than the UK (those options are now shaded out) unless I opt into global program then lo I can once again ship worldwide.

I want no part of GSP as it is illegal. ALL PRINTED MATTER is exempt from any import/duty fees by law over here(due to an old law on the statuary books about reading matters educational value). I ,ve had a butchers at Pisstake bastards(pittany Bowes) web site and they even state that import fees for books in to the uk is zero so by their own admission they shouldn't be adding on charges.

GSP= SCAM.

I'm currently dealing with my tax assessment with the inland revenue while I am at it it is about time this scam was brought to their attention(for all the good that will probably do,but still).

I use an older version of the eBay app on android and change country to US if I want to list something aimed at our friends across the pond. I will only ship to 3 countries US, Canada, and UK everywhere else is exempt and I always leave the GSP option unticked.

:applause:

A buyer can claim an item was not received and still maintain 100% positive feedback.

If the seller gave feedback immediately yes but if not they could still give negative feedback.

The buyer can have the negative feedback removed.

A buyer can claim an item was not received and still maintain 100% positive feedback.

If the seller gave feedback immediately yes but if not they could still give negative feedback.

The buyer can have the negative feedback removed.

Depressingly the seller cannot leave negative feedback

Because it wouldn't be looked at by non-US buyers anyway.

:)

-slym

Because it wouldn't be looked at by non-US buyers anyway.

:)

-slym

Neither is really true though. I've made plenty of sales through the GSP and I'm also aware that number of sales would go up quite a bit if I offered regular international shipping. I get a handful of inquiries every month from overseas buyers.

I opted out of the GSP last month. Had a banner month in the last 30 days, but...only two of the 70 sales I had were to foreign lands, and they both still used the GSP.

Some sniffing around, and silly lowbid offers, from a few in the UK and Australia, but only two buyers, both in Canada, and both chose to use the GSP.

I thought it would help to get rid of it.

It did not.

Like, at all.

So.

Tell me what to do, international buyers....

:shrug:

I opted out of the GSP last month. Had a banner month in the last 30 days, but...only two of the 70 sales I had were to foreign lands, and they both still used the GSP.

Some sniffing around, and silly lowbid offers, from a few in the UK and Australia, but only two buyers, both in Canada, and both chose to use the GSP.

It did not.

Like, at all.

So.

Were there a lot of international underbidders pushing up prices

I would have to disagree with you, my fellow British boardie :) It's all a matter of choosing the auctions (or even BINs) carefully. If there's $0.00 on the import charges and you only bid in small increments, you're quids in if you win.

I've just purchased a $35 CGC from the US on a 1 bid auction. I paid $23 for shipping and $0 import charges. I've paid the equivalent for USPS First Class International and will be getting Priority shipping.

You're right there Batman, if something is cheap enough it can indeed work in your favour.

I'd forgotten I picked up a 50's Frankenstein recently, it was cheap enough to have zero tax on it.

Well packaged too, certainly didn't look like it had been opened up by PB.

I rarely buy cheaper books on eBay though, I usually only get them in person at shows.

I try to ship First Class International to Canada and Global Priority Mail to the rest of the world.

But on a high-dollar (to me, >$100) item, I use GSP.

REASON: I got scammed hard selling an iPhone. Shipped to Estonia, which doesn't have delivery confirmation. Buyer submitted a "never got the item" claim. Ebay reversed the sale and I was out $300 and an iPhone.

So, yeah, never again will I ship overseas without delivery confirmation.

It did not.

Like, at all.

So.

Were there a lot of international underbidders pushing up prices

My listings are all BINs, not auctions. eBay auctions are, sadly, a thing of (mostly) the past.