• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The next dollar bin hero

207 posts in this topic

Hollywood should buy up all the issues when they decide to do a movie. Eg if a Nexus movie gets green light, buy em up. This will fund the next movie etc.

Too late for Hollywood.. I already got 'em

nex.jpg

Just picked up one of these yesterday.

Is the poster in question the two-page poster at the centerfold or is it a pull-out (i.e. folded over)?

It took 6 pages before someone mentioned true $1 bin books.

Don't know about Nexus, but being that it's not from the Big 2 and not that rare, I don't see a big value spike.

Books like ROM and Micronauts have already gone to $10+ books.

The ones mentioned I personally like are:

New Mutants #100.- 2nd & 3rd prints

52 - 7 & 11, been waiting for a while on these and have started passing on them

Worlds Finest 3rd Black Adam, been waiting on this one as well. Maybe when an actor gets cast.

Additional picks:

Tales of Green Lantern Corps. #1 - 1st Arisia, cheap 1st for a character with 178 appearances.

New Mutants #99 - 1st Ferral, again, I don't commonly see this in $1 bins and it has a white cover so if it is, it's probably not NM+

Batman New 52 - 21 & 28, see them for $2 occasionally, surprised that haven't picked up at all.

Rob Liefeld creations that could be made into movies.

SimonRoy_Prophet01-Liefeld.jpg

If only... I heard about movie rumors as well last year (thumbs u

That era when Image put out so many titles and massively overprinted. I would love to see one of them catch on. I know it doesnt look like it, but again, you just never know with these things

The next $1 bin hero will probably be some 70's, 80's or 90's Marvel book with a first appearance of some (at the time) 2nd or 3rd rate character that 99% of us overlooked back when it was new and we could have bought it for cover price. My money is on some random issue of Power Pack, Alpha Flight, X-Terminators, Wolverine, Cable, X-Factor, X-Force, New Mutants, X-Men, Avengers, Hulk or Spider-Man.

With all of the potential for new X-Men based movies I would say the odds are high that it will be someone from that line. If remember correctly X-Men was the most popular comic book in the world at one point and the number of spin-off titles they created in the 80's was crazy. The movie studios have so much to choose from within that franchise when creating a movie it really is unreal.

DC might be able to sneak in another sleeper like Harley Quinn, but I'm keeping my eyes on what's happening in the Fox/Sony and Marvel/Disney camps.

I agree, alot of this makes sense, I know that at some point Marvel were in dialog getting Power Pack and Cloak & Dagger to the big screen.. I remember seeing it in a chart somewhere..

I also believe that theres great potential with Teen Titans and even LOSH characters from the 70s. And although theyre not in dollar bins, they are certainly no greater than 10$

Characters like, say Wildfire or Timber Wolf are all forgotten now but were extremely popular back then. Who knows if and when some director will want to bring those to the mainstream audience again if not just based on his/her love for those characters alone

$700 is a bit of a stretch

How about something more realistic, like $250-300 in 9.8?

Marvel Tales 100

Mind you, I have no idea if it is hard in 9.8 and I don't have the census info, I suppose few have been submitted, so it is deceptive.

The Spider Man reprint title? What happened in that? [/quot

First solo Hawkeye story. I have always been able to sell nice copies. Spotlight 28 is big bucks in 9.8, but I guess that is an earlier app... Mt 100 is like Hawkeyes 6 millionth app

I wasnt aware of that, I always thought that MT100 was selling based on its reprint of the classic book/cover hm

Hollywood should buy up all the issues when they decide to do a movie. Eg if a Nexus movie gets green light, buy em up. This will fund the next movie etc.

Too late for Hollywood.. I already got 'em

nex.jpg

Just picked up one of these yesterday.

Is the poster in question the two-page poster at the centerfold or is it a pull-out (i.e. folded over)?

Yup the B&W poster is the centerfold (thumbs u

Don't know about Nexus, but being that it's not from the Big 2 and not that rare, I don't see a big value spike.

Worlds Finest 3rd Black Adam, been waiting on this one as well. Maybe when an actor gets cast.

Additional picks:

Tales of Green Lantern Corps. #1 - 1st Arisia, cheap 1st for a character with 178 appearances.

New Mutants #99 - 1st Ferral, again, I don't commonly see this in $1 bins and it has a white cover so if it is, it's probably not NM+

Batman New 52 - 21 & 28, see them for $2 occasionally, surprised that haven't picked up at all.

Youd be surprised at what kind of interest these unsung heroes from the 80/90s have today. I have moved over 100 Zot! and Astro City books in the past year alone. These are practically worthless but have a healthy appetite. theyre also great reads.

Thats a good indication that theres a market for such characters/stories and its just a matter of getting these properties to the right hands which in turn could catapult them to a bigger audience. Getting optioned the right way is a combination of readers interest, luck and probably politics. Just like any business really

I think its really hard to predict a 1 dollar bin hero, just because its at a very early stage to speculate when its indeed still a dollar bin book. Thats why I started this topic. Its sheer gambling for gambling sake.

Books like say, Runaways, that already have a niche following and a spike in price are easier to predict as the next big thing because they are already on the right track. But part of the fun sometimes is predicting the unknown.

Wishful thinking but, my vote is for:

16899.jpg

first appearance of Lord Henry Baltimore. Est. print run under 15K . Still available for under $5 most places. People will get tired of zombies and they'll be back to vampire love. Take my word for it!

But, not really. :sorry:

-T

You can also apply the rule of 25...ish to the people involved in making these movies now. A lot of them probably grew up reading comics from the 70's, 80's and 90's so it's hard to tell exactly what has influenced them. All of those comics and characters that I laughed at and didn't pay any attention to as a kid growing up probably deserve a second look right about now. Just because I didn't like them doesn't mean that some future movie producer growing up on the other side of the country wasn't a fan of them.

I remember as a kid in high school asking one of my friends why he bought a copy of New Mutants 98 off the newsstand rack and he said it was because of Domino if I remember right. Back then all of us were more interested in New Mutants 100 and X-Force 1 than some character named Deadpool, because our LCS owner told us X-Force was the next big thing.

The one thing that you can be certain of is that after the sucess of Deadpool on a small budget while being as anti-PC or kid friendly as any movie I can remember since Harlem Nights or Blazzing Saddles, you can be sure that the studio executives smell money and are taking notice.

Wishful thinking but, my vote is for:

16899.jpg

first appearance of Lord Henry Baltimore. Est. print run under 15K . Still available for under $5 most places. People will get tired of zombies and they'll be back to vampire love. Take my word for it!

But, not really. :sorry:

-T

Vampires you say?

image.jpg

Another couple books to add is Ninja High School #37. While #38 is noted as being the 1st appearance of Warrior Nun Areala, she appears in #37, not #38. With a movie announced, all the attention is on NHS #38 which means #37 can be had for really cheap. Warrior Nun Areala #1 is probably no longer seen in $1 bins but its a good book to get if you can find it. If neither NHS books turn out to be her first appearance at least that book will be a close contender.

Rob Liefeld creations that could be made into movies.

SimonRoy_Prophet01-Liefeld.jpg

If only... I heard about movie rumors as well last year (thumbs u

That era when Image put out so many titles and massively overprinted. I would love to see one of them catch on. I know it doesnt look like it, but again, you just never know with these things

The new Prophet series by Brandon Graham is fantastic.

Ah another speculation thread. You could pick just about any Batman related character and get lucky with one. There seems to be less interest in anything Spiderman after those dreadful movies.

I'd suspect renewed interest after Civil War.

Additional picks:

Youd be surprised at what kind of interest these unsung heroes from the 80/90s have today. I have moved over 100 Zot! and Astro City books in the past year alone. These are practically worthless but have a healthy appetite. theyre also great reads.

Thats a good indication that theres a market for such characters/stories and its just a matter of getting these properties to the right hands which in turn could catapult them to a bigger audience. Getting optioned the right way is a combination of readers interest, luck and probably politics. Just like any business really

I'm not surprised that it sells, but I'm saying it won't go big time like your original query because it isn't from the big two. We're nearing 200 optioned properties and yet, there is only one off the top of my head that went from a dollar bin to the realm that you're asking from a non-Big 2 company.

I'm late to the party, so I'll give you all a free one.

Marvel Age 97. First appearance of Darkhawk in a five page story. You're welcome.

That has been a good book for a while. Really tough to find in high grade.

If you want to go down that route, there is another Marvel Age book that everyone should already have been picking up and with the recent movie new, now is the time to sell.

Edit: Now that I think about it, there are two Marvel Age books that should be influenced by the news.

Ah another speculation thread. You could pick just about any Batman related character and get lucky with one. There seems to be less interest in anything Spiderman after those dreadful movies.

Perhaps, but never underestimate Spidey fans . . . Batman and Spidey may be the last "completionist" titles in demand. :sumo: