• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever try selling your old comics thru a local auctioneer ?

14 posts in this topic

Sounds like a bad idea to me, unless it is very widely advertised. If you do no reserve, the books could sell for pennies.

Use Ebay or Heritage Auctions, etc. You will have a much larger audience.

Depends on the books. Big books should go to big auction houses but smaller books do great at auctions. I've been to a few and the prices realized are amazing

I bring this up because since moving to North Carolina, I've gone to a bunch of auctions advertising comics. Auctioneers list on AuctionZip w/ pictures a few weeks ahead of time so I can tell whether it may be worth the trip or not. Collectors with OSPGs show up, ready to bid but also the locals and antique people who know little to nothing about comics get into the spirit. Comics that guide for $2 occasionally go for $20. Superhero lots can go for high prices but I've won oddball stuff at nice deals. Of course, a few times I've driving 2-3 hours and see bidding so stupid, I just walk after ten minutes of craziness.

Individual books aren't worth it, but to sell boxes of drek? Absolutely.

You're not selling to comic people at that point, you're selling to antique dealers and the scavengers who sell anything from hubcaps to grandmas old dishes on craigslist. They somehow think they're going to put the box out at $3 each and make money, although $40-50 a long box seems to be their spending limit, in my experience.

I live in a rural area where most of the auctions are farm auctions or small estate sales. Comics tend to go fairly cheap while farming equipment, primitives etc. tend to go higher than I expect. In a more urban/suburban area I would guess comics would tend to go higher.

No, didn't know any existed..perhaps in very large cities.

Are you saying you didn't know auctioneers exist outside of large cities?

For local and only for comic books..No..Sure I know about the usual - ComicLink, Heritage, Pedigree..etc.. but those are Global.. Yes, they are head quartered in a city like Dallas for Heritage but I was thinking this was a truly "Local" comic book auction that you physically have to be there bidding..

If it's local with internet access then I consider that having a National/Global reach.

No, didn't know any existed..perhaps in very large cities.

Are you saying you didn't know auctioneers exist outside of large cities?

For local and only for comic books..No..Sure I know about the usual - ComicLink, Heritage, Pedigree..etc.. but those are Global.. Yes, they are head quartered in a city like Dallas for Heritage but I was thinking this was a truly "Local" comic book auction that you physically have to be there bidding..

If it's local with internet access then I consider that having a National/Global reach.

All the local auction houses I've been to have internet/live phone bidding. It may not be slick like the big boys but it's still effective. The key is seems to be getting the word out thru AuctionZip and other outlets with decent pictures.

I bring this up because since moving to North Carolina, I've gone to a bunch of auctions advertising comics. Auctioneers list on AuctionZip w/ pictures a few weeks ahead of time so I can tell whether it may be worth the trip or not. Collectors with OSPGs show up, ready to bid but also the locals and antique people who know little to nothing about comics get into the spirit. Comics that guide for $2 occasionally go for $20. Superhero lots can go for high prices but I've won oddball stuff at nice deals. Of course, a few times I've driving 2-3 hours and see bidding so stupid, I just walk after ten minutes of craziness.

Charlotte is one of the most active areas that I've ever seen as far as comic collecting goes. Honestly, I would save my time unless I got a really good lead on something at an auction and just stick to the local cons and comic shops like Heroes Aren't Hard To Find.

Most of the vendors at the cons in that area are very experienced, have tight grading and are more than willing to deal with you. The auctions, flea market dealers and part time ebay sellers living in their parents basements in that area are usually the exact opposite from my experience.

I went to a local farm auction recently that advertised 5 long boxes. It was impossible to tell what was in those boxes from the listing. It certainly appeared to be 5 boxes of drek.

Circumstances had me getting to the auction with very little time to view what was being auctioned, but I did see a lot of 80's collectors books.

Me and one other guy were the only ones bidding, and I think those farmers thought a nerd war had erupted in their midst.

Charlotte is one of the most active areas that I've ever seen as far as comic collecting goes. Honestly, I would save my time unless I got a really good lead on something at an auction and just stick to the local cons and comic shops like Heroes Aren't Hard To Find.

Most of the vendors at the cons in that area are very experienced, have tight grading and are more than willing to deal with you. The auctions, flea market dealers and part time ebay sellers living in their parents basements in that area are usually the exact opposite from my experience.

I'm started this thread talking about selling your own old books thru

local auctions..