• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (2nd Print)?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I had someone bring me a copy of TMNT #1 2nd print today, this copy was unusual though. The comic is smaller than an actual bronze comic book. It is not quite as small as an ash can though. It looks exactly like TMNT #1 2nd print, just on a smaller scale. Does anyone know what this is?

Yeah it's a small version that was included with a book called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Visual History. (Buy that book if you haven't; amazing TMNT book all fans should have).

It is identical but is, as you say, about the size of an aschan and has a cardstock cover. It DOES say 2nd print in the front, just like the real 2nd print, so buyers beware of scams.

From the author of the Ultimate Visual History, Andrew Farago;

"the TMNT #1 replica was shot directly from the original art. My recollection on the "second print" page is that since we had access to the original art from the dedication page in the second print, we wanted to make sure it was included somewhere in the book. Since it's shot from the original art and isn't an exact replica of the first printing of the first issue anyway, we took a few small liberties for the sake of including some cool, rarely seen art."

It's more regular comic sized and obviously not an original 2nd printing in person.

Thanks everyone for your replies, it helps out a lot. I will definitely check out the ultimate visual history. I am a big turtles fan and didn't know this existed. It is kind of scary for novice collectors if they found this copy of TMNT #1. I can totally see them thinking this is the real deal if they never have seen a real copy. Another question if you know the answer, does this book hold any value at all? If so do you know approximately how much?

The actual UVH book sells for $20-36. I'd say the book raw isn't worth much, but that CGC 9.8 is pretty sweet. (thumbs u I think it's a damn cool book though since it was made from the OA.

As for novice collectors being fooled, I'd pay attention to the second printing telltale signs, especially if buying online:

-regular comic book width as opposed to the original second printing's magazine-sized width

-the original second printing has a small speck above Raphael's head on the cover

-this book has the second printing blurb AND the Gobbledygook ad on the inside back cover. In reality, only the first printing had the Gobbledygook ad. The second printing had an ad for t-shirt iron-ons.

I have a copy of the original (odd to say that :) ) second printing of issue 1 as described above (e.g iron-on ads back cover), signed by Eastman and Laird (as well as 2-4 and Raphael, all signed). Is there any value to these issues? I just re-discovered them in my old comics box, bagged and untouched since the mid-80's. Thanks!

On 12/30/2018 at 10:06 PM, Racer_X said:

I have a copy of the original (odd to say that :) ) second printing of issue 1 as described above (e.g iron-on ads back cover), signed by Eastman and Laird (as well as 2-4 and Raphael, all signed). Is there any value to these issues? I just re-discovered them in my old comics box, bagged and untouched since the mid-80's. Thanks!

Yes, these have some value, although the value will vary substantially depending on the condition.  If you had the #1 2nd print graded, it would be valued at $800-$1000 if it were in nearly perfect condition (CGC 9.8).  It could be as low as $25 if it's completely beat up, just to give you an idea of the range.  The prices go down from there with the other issues.

I find that vintage interior signatures don't command too much of a premium on these books.  Some like them.  Some don't.  They don't tend to affect price all that much.

Images would be helpful.  No one will be able to give you more information without front/back scans (without the bag).  I'd also post them in the main TMNT thread to get more views.

Good luck!