• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Predator directed by Shane Black (3/2/18)

157 posts in this topic

Exclusive: Shane Black talks Predator; plans to shoot in September

""I was reluctant to. If you look at the opening of the first Predator, with the helicopters coming in and landing with the smoke and the native people... It was so compelling because it established a world in which this is still mysterious for you. It's not a sci-fi world. It was so fresh back then, like a "why didn't I think of that, what the :censored: ?" quality to it. I'd like to get back to a movie where it's three months out and people are like, "Let's get our tickets now because we're aware of this, it seems like they put the money and attention into it, it's not just a knock-off." Really try to get back to that feeling of wonderment, mystery and adventure. A fresh movie. Without giving away details, that's been our goal. To say, "What's the John McTiernan and Joel Silver of this, and how do we get back to that?"

"I think we're looking at end of September, maybe. Latest would be October, depending on casting. We might have to go over if we cast someone who isn't available yet. But if we get the right guys, September."

:whee:

Can't wait to see the Predator show up at Christmas, rescue a kidnapped secondary character (subsequently slaughtering her), bond with a younger, secondary male character (subsequently slaughtering him) all while self narrating his adventure via the distinctive clicking sound at altering speeds/octaves.

And I'm talking like CAMEO. Nothing heavy, no bad puns or stupid one liners

I'm thinking a Helicopter pilot with a line or two could be good. If I recall correctly, the helicopter pilot in the original was the guy who was in the Predator suit.

And I'm talking like CAMEO. Nothing heavy, no bad puns or stupid one liners

I'm thinking a Helicopter pilot with a line or two could be good. If I recall correctly, the helicopter pilot in the original was the guy who was in the Predator suit.

Kevin Peter Hall, yes. He was the pilot at the end.

It's funny, I've always remembered his name from the credits but didn't know anything about him till I looked him up just now. Tragic

Shane Black Reveals Where His Predator Sits In The Franchise Time-Line

The Director recently sat down with IGN to discuss when this Predator takes place in the timeline, which he confirmed as present day.

"Well, it seems to me if we set ours in 2018 which is when the film is set, then we can only be a prequel to that one (Predator 2), so you could say yes it exists, but people won't be discussing it really. It's in the midst of the mythology. It's a movie that's set in our present-day. Or maybe the day after tomorrow."

According to Black, the film is moving steadily along at this point, and will most likely be his next project.

"The train is rolling I should say. I think it's pretty clear now that this is the next thing I'm gonna do, is work on that. We're having a lot of fun. The idea is to take what has been a series of kind of modest knock-off type movies which all made a guaranteed return. Not bad movies but certainly not on the level of what Ridley [scott] was doing with Alien and then Prometheus and now this very much lauded prequel/sequel coming up. How can I follow in the footsteps of someone who re-invents and brings that much event-ised quality to a pulp franchise. How do you get people to know about the Predator and buy their tickets a month before it comes out as opposed to just 'What are you seeing tonight? We can see a comedy or... oh, there's a new Predator.' No, no, this one we want to make people aware of - we've paid a lot of attention, there's even some more money spent."

New The Predator Movie To Begin Production In September

Shane Black's long-awaited The Predator will begin production in September in Vancouver, according to the Director's Guild of Canada (via AvPGalaxy). The film will reportedly start shooting on September 26 and film in the city until late December. It isn't clear whether it will be shot entirely in Vancouver or whether it will relocate for further shooting after December.

Along with a number of other release date changes and announcements recently, 20th Century Fox revealed that they were moving up the date of The Predator from Iron Man 3 director Black from March to February of 2018.

Shane Black’s The Predator Casting Shortlist Includes James Franco

As is to be expected in a case such as this, numerous names have been circulating with regards to who will nab the lead role and the latest rumor courtesy of Popcorn Talk is that James Franco is a possibility.

Franco is apparently “very high on a list” for the job, which doesn’t necessarily mean that he will snag the role, but at present his is the name that is most publicly identified with the Quinn Mackenna character. Over the years the 38-year old actor hasn’t exactly shown his preferred genre to be action – with turns in a number of art-house, dramatic as well as comedic titles – but he’s no stranger to it either, having appeared in Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man trilogy as well as 2011’s Rise of the Planet of the Apes. These films are a far cry from the gritty, military vibe that is sure to permeate The Predator, but Franco’s substantial abilities as an actor have made his a name synonymous with variety, as even the most cursory of glances at his current acting resume will confirm.

Benicio Del Toro For Shane Black's Predator

Benicio Del Toro, known for Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, is in talks to star in the new big budget Shane Black Predator movie.

Deadline reports the actor is in early talks.

The Shane Black-directed Predator movie has a February 9, 2018 release date, with the movie said to begin filming this Fall.

It was also said the new Predator movie will be set on Earth in the present day.

Shane Black’s ‘The Predator’ Will Be Scary and Funny and Reference the Original

Predator-700x300.jpg

Shane Black has opened up a bit about The Predator in a couple recent interviews where he talks about what a Predator movie should be, the casting of Boyd Holbrook in the lead after Benicio del Toro exited the project, and why the movie absolutely had to be R-rated.

First of all, speaking with Collider, Black spelled out exactly what he thinks a Predator movie is and should be:

"I think the Predator movies have slightly veered from typical sci-fi in that there is a sort of thriller aspect to them. I think it should be scary, I think it should be funny, and I think ultimately it should be wondrous and about perceiving things that human beings very seldom get a chance to see… I don’t mean movie audiences I mean characters in the movie. I’m not saying the movie will be nothing anyone’s seen before."

With regards to The Predator, Black reiterates to JoBlo that this is more of a sequel than a reboot, and the film will reference the original while standing on its own:

"I think it has to stand on its own two feet, but our goal is to make sure it acknowledges that, yeah, it is 30 years later in the continuity of the story. In other words, Dutch Schaefer’s patrol, which was attacked and largely slaughtered, happened 30 years ago in the context of the story. It’s referenced, it’s part of the mythology. In that way, it’s more of a sequel than a reboot."

Saddened to see Benicio Del Toro back out, but happy to hear it's a real sequel. It's what the franchise needed, and thankfully, hasn't been made yet.

2 and Predators were completely stand alone, which was nice

And lets not forget the abominable vs Aliens.

We can forget all that and let this movie take us back to a simpler time, when by freak occurrence, humans stumbled across a trophy seeking alien

While I have more faith in a Shane Black Predator than I would nearly anyone else...

Boyd Holbrook as the lead? The skinny drifter from Gone Girl?

I suspended enough disbelief to think of Adrien Brody as a soldier in Predators (and he frankly pulled it off) but...the skinny drifter from Gone Girl?

That's a far cry from a Benecio Del Toro, let alone Schwarzenegger...

Being the lead in a Predator film doesn't necessarily means he has to go toe to toe with it.

Does it not?

I don't really remember the ending of Predators, but I seem to recall both Arnold and Danny Glover spending the last 20 minutes or so going "toe to toe" as the last man standing.