• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Predator directed by Shane Black (3/2/18)

157 posts in this topic

Being the lead in a Predator film doesn't necessarily means he has to go toe to toe with it.

Does it not?

I don't really remember the ending of Predators, but I seem to recall both Arnold and Danny Glover spending the last 20 minutes or so going "toe to toe" as the last man standing.

Well yes, all three movies had the protagonists going toe to toe with the alien(s)

Just stating it doesn't have to, and shouldn't have to, be that way

Being the lead in a Predator film doesn't necessarily means he has to go toe to toe with it.

Does it not?

I don't really remember the ending of Predators, but I seem to recall both Arnold and Danny Glover spending the last 20 minutes or so going "toe to toe" as the last man standing.

Well yes, all three movies had the protagonists going toe to toe with the alien(s)

Just stating it doesn't have to, and shouldn't have to, be that way

Yes it does.

Really? I personally enjoyed the stalking and elimination one by one
It would be bit of retro cool if they can make it an ensemble like the first one or Aliens. Not sure if they can pull off a final showdown with just two adversaries going "toe-to-toe" anymore. The mid-80's were thirty years ago after all. Even in the new Fast & Furious movies, it's a team effort.

It would be bit of retro cool if they can make it an ensemble like the first one or Aliens. Not sure if they can pull off a final showdown with just two adversaries going "toe-to-toe" anymore. The mid-80's were thirty years ago after all. Even in the new Fast & Furious movies, it's a team effort.

This was exactly my logic, seems like it's not a popular point of view lol

I'm not sure I follow. Predators followed the set-up of the first movie almost exactly - except they were random strangers put together rather than a specific military squadron. The added twists were:

a) individual character motives (including Lawrence Fishburne's);

b) that it wasn't Earth; and

c) that there were multiple factions among the Predators themselves, leading to more than just two sides.

But If the first had an "ensemble" feel than so did it.

If anything, I'd say that among the Predator films, Predator 2 was the closest thing to an actual ensemble feel, as most of the protagonists (Gary Busey and Bill Paxton included) were still alive and involved in the primary battle on the subway.

Predator does have a fixed sequence of events.

Opening, Predator begins hunt with collection of low end trophies

Predator begins hunt of mid range trophies

Humans try to trap/engage Predator

Predator starts elimination of protagonist squad

Top trophy tries to save squad

Final battle showdown

Human wins/Predator loses by default/technicality

Human awarded trophy

With the exception of the first one, the trophy awarded was Arnolds characters life, also there is another survivor besides the protagonist. Another staple of the series

I'm not sure I follow. Predators followed the set-up of the first movie almost exactly - except they were random strangers put together rather than a specific military squadron. The added twists were:

a) individual character motives (including Lawrence Fishburne's);

b) that it wasn't Earth; and

c) that there were multiple factions among the Predators themselves, leading to more than just two sides.

But If the first had an "ensemble" feel than so did it.

If anything, I'd say that among the Predator films, Predator 2 was the closest thing to an actual ensemble feel, as most of the protagonists (Gary Busey and Bill Paxton included) were still alive and involved in the primary battle on the subway.

Yeah, I was worried someone was going to point this out.

I meant how the filmmakers were so generous with screen time with original Predator film's actors, giving them indivual character touches. Even giving them a smiling farewell during the end credits like a lot of old war movies (and Scream.) I know, I cared about Billy's last stand with his knife (although Sonny Landham did this previously in 48 Hrs. and with a hypodermic needle in Action Jackson.) The point was you enjoyed everyone and what they brought to the plot, like the grunts in Aliens and Saving Private Ryan.

Now... Predator 2, the cast "ensemble" is basically "lunchmeat" to the Predator, like a Friday The 13th movie. I cannot recall one of the character's names even, like I can for Bill Paxton's Hudson in Aliens. Yes, Predators cast made more of an impression, yet... degenerated into horror movie clichés to the franchise as they were slowly picked off in a "Most Dangerous Game" fashion (if you have never watched that movie, I recommend it as a great-great-great grandfather companion movie to Predator #1- Fay Wray is a stunner as well.) Plus, Predators cast was largely miscast. Lawrence Fishburne practically slept walked through this for a mortgage payment and Walt Goggins was totally wasted. I don't recall one character's motivation or name other than "Isabella." Still a decent movie, compared to the Alien Vs. Predator movies.

This is just my 2c as I understand and respect what you have pointed out. (thumbs u

I liked the Yakuza character in Predators. Seemed perfectly cast, however, out of sync with the rest of the ensemble
(thumbs u

I got what they were doing, by giving us an assortment of killers.

But, they were really reaching with the Topher "twist" at the end. It was like Jigsaw from "Saw" selected these bad guys for a commentary on the evils of society and not an alien from space.

I liked the Yakuza character in Predators. Seemed perfectly cast, however, out of sync with the rest of the ensemble
(thumbs u

I got what they were doing, by giving us an assortment of killers.

But, they were really reaching with the Topher "twist" at the end. It was like Jigsaw from "Saw" selected these bad guys for a commentary on the evils of society and not an alien from space.

Completely agree. I like Topher Grace, but no need for his character.

I liked the movie overall, but it doesn't have much replay value. The split Predator factions was totally incoherent to me, as already stated Fishburne totally phoned it in, Trujillo was terrible and the character set up was totally weak. Brody held it together, he was entertaining.

The premise of having several "top" trophies was promising but when executed, it fell flat

To make Predator interesting again I [would] make the Predator the star. Show the movie from the Predator's perspective. Make him an anti-hero like Punisher, Ghost Rider and Venom.

I eventually get the Predator series off Earth and have him hunt other alien species.

You watched Alien Vs. Predator, right? That was pretty anti-hero as you get, siding with what's-her-name to bring down the alien. Off-planet would be interesting, but would depend on some superior creature designs.

X-MEN: APOCALYPSE Actress Olivia Munn Joins The Cast Of Shane Black's PREDATOR Reboot

146510.jpg

According to THR, Olivia Munn (X-Men: Apocalypse, The Newsroom) has joined the cast of The Predator, and will play a scientist opposite Boyd Holbrook's "Special Forces commando" lead. Though we don't have any more info on the characters, the site does reveal some rather surprising new details on the sci-fi flick's setting.

Apparently "the story plunks the deadly alien hunter, who audiences have seen fight in jungles, concrete jungles, frozen wastelands and alien planets, in the harsh environment of … suburbia." Fans actually did get a glimpse of how something like this would go down in the rightly maligned AvP sequel, but we'll assume (hope?) Shane Black and co. have something a lot better than that in mind for this film.

X-MEN: APOCALYPSE Actress Olivia Munn Joins The Cast Of Shane Black's PREDATOR Reboot

146510.jpg

According to THR, Olivia Munn (X-Men: Apocalypse, The Newsroom) has joined the cast of The Predator, and will play a scientist opposite Boyd Holbrook's "Special Forces commando" lead. Though we don't have any more info on the characters, the site does reveal some rather surprising new details on the sci-fi flick's setting.

Apparently "the story plunks the deadly alien hunter, who audiences have seen fight in jungles, concrete jungles, frozen wastelands and alien planets, in the harsh environment of … suburbia." Fans actually did get a glimpse of how something like this would go down in the rightly maligned AvP sequel, but we'll assume (hope?) Shane Black and co. have something a lot better than that in mind for this film.

I hope she is killed in a particularly bloody gruesome way.

Thomas Jane Will Punish The PREDATOR In Shane Black's Upcoming Reboot

The cast of Predator is already pretty damn impressive thanks to the likes of Boyd Holbrook, Keegan-Michael Key, and Trevante Rhodes lined up to take on the iconic aliens, but now The Hollywood Reporter reveals that Thomas Jane is in talks to join the reboot which is being helmed by Shane Black.

There's no news on who the former Punisher will play as of right now, but he joins other recent addition Sterling K. Brown (Black Panther) in a movie which looks set to restore the franchise to its former glory. We don't know too much about it right now, but production is set to begin in February.

He's going to need a bigger bottle.

giphy.gif

Thomas Jane Reveals New Details About 'The Predator'

the-predator-cast-prodcution-start-23324

Star Thomas Janes spoke to Shadow Nation and revealed some new details about the highly anticipated film.

“We play these veterans from like Afghanistan, Iraq war or whatever,” Jane says. “But we’re all f---ing crazy so we go to the VA hospital to get our meds. We’re all like shellshocked, PTSD… soldiers. We’re at the VA hospital and we’re in group therapy and of course, somebody flips out…this is backstory, I don’t think we really see this…somebody flips out and we all get arrested and get thrown onto the bus to go down to the hospital and they throw this other guy on the bus too.”

As Jane continues to explain, this is where things get weird.

“And he’s a guy they’ve actually marked to kill him because he’s seen a UFO, he’s seen the Predator ships come down so they lock him up and throw him in with us lunatics,” he said. “They’re going to take that bus, drive it down to a ditch and shoot us all just to get rid of this one guy. But, of course, we take the bus over and we’re all like ‘f--k that man, let’s go kill these f--king Predators ourselves’ and we’re just crazy enough to believe that this guy really did see a UFO and there’s these aliens out there.”