• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Question About Odor In A Book

38 posts in this topic

Unless it's a super rare book that you want real bad, I'd pass. On a book like that it's too easy to get one that doesn't stink. I don't like stinky, mouldy or brittle books. Most anything else I can usually live with.

Yep. Book is just too common to "settle" for a stanky copy.

I had a bunch of books that had been left in a basement for a long time. While they didn't have water damage, they definitely had a mildew odor to them. I just left them sitting out for a couple days and it helped. It didn't go away entirely though.

Smoking is an entirely different ball game though.

Time to bump this thread up for more input.

A rather large collection with some significant SA and BA books has become known to me, but I'm told that cigarette door in the owner's home is nauseatingly strong and that the boxes are orange...

Is it even worth exploring the purchase of such a collection, or even cherry-picking it, with such smoke damage. I for one cannot stand the scent of nicotine, but what does Joe public feel about it, and how does it affect grade/value?

Input?

Thanks!

Anything is worth taking a look at. People exaggerate. If there is a smell, possibly allowing the books to air out might be all they need.

There are options

Anything is worth taking a look at.

Yes.

I whole heartedly agree. The question is in regards to the value and demand of a book with an odour that cannot be fully eliminated and/or yellowing pages from nicotine.

I've seen a book's odor listed in grading notes, so presumably CGC will downgrade for it. There are various techniques for reducing the odor from books.

You can presumably get the seller to accept a lower price because of the odor and page discoloration, although if I know smokers, he may deny they even have an odor!

Anything is worth taking a look at.

Yes.

I whole heartedly agree. The question is in regards to the value and demand of a book with an odour that cannot be fully eliminated and/or yellowing pages from nicotine.

I've seen a book's odor listed in grading notes, so presumably CGC will downgrade for it. There are various techniques for reducing the odor from books.

You can presumably get the seller to accept a lower price because of the odor and page discoloration, although if I know smokers, he may deny they even have an odor!

Being an ex smoker, to be fair, they might not be able to smell anything lol

This is good info. Thanks for sharing

The damper stuff on the bottom has less dust.... but seems it may glow a little under black light....

And extra points as a petagree? The Bakersfield Cat Lady original owner non-smoker spinster

(Disclaimer : if you live in Bakersfield.... I'm sorry.)

I did the kitty litter/baking soda deodorizer technique on an 8.0 ASM 50 that had a strong musty smell. Reduced the odor by 50%. You now have to lean in close to within a foot from the book to smell it. Before, you could smell it just opening the mylar. I might try the activated charcoal and see it it doesn't reduce it further. Wonder if it would be safe to wipe the pages gently with dryer sheets. I'll try that one on a low grade stinky book if I can find one.

I did the kitty litter/baking soda deodorizer technique on an 8.0 ASM 50 that had a strong musty smell. Reduced the odor by 50%. You now have to lean in close to within a foot from the book to smell it. Before, you could smell it just opening the mylar. I might try the activated charcoal and see it it doesn't reduce it further. Wonder if it would be safe to wipe the pages gently with dryer sheets. I'll try that one on a low grade stinky book if I can find one.

Take Kav's advice.What he has already said, works.