• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen comic books

37 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

It has been nearly two month ordeal. I will tell you a long story unless the case is closed.

9 high value comic books were stolen during the mail in process (that was why the tracking number was never shown the route or updates). Found 8 books on eBay. Now Comiclink has 8 books. I am still missing one book.

Just wondered if who has Detective Comics #402 CGC 9.6 Certification #0088491032. If it has seen or found, PM me immediately. I'd considered a reward.

tec%20402983_zpspyaak2en.jpg

So comiclink has to return the books right also ebay seller can be arrested?

Kav, it sounds like the books were just listed on Clink, and not in their actual possession, since it sounds like the books were also listed on Ebay at the same time. I'm not sure what Clink will do though since they might just take the listings off, though I guess its possible that they could tell the seller that the books were sold and that they mail them to them before payment is released which is what they usually do as a possible way of getting them without arousing the suspicion of the seller.

No way to prove the ebay seller didn't buy them legally

I don't think it's a legal purchase if the items were stolen. I'm not 100 percent sure but hopefully someone can clarify

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't believe its a legal purchase since the goods in question were stolen. Which means that if the seller was innocent in the theft he isn't entitled to the books, and out of the cash he spend on them.

If the items are reported as stolen. Doesnt matter who has them or how they received them. Once they are identified . The person they are stolen from can recover them .

Its then up to the law to figure out who took them and decide what charges to press .

If they were stolen during the mailing process it is a federal matter .

Possession of stolen property is a "specific intent" crime, the DA would have to prove to a jury that you knew it was stolen. The owner of the books would have to be able to say where he got them from.

CHAPTER 5. Larceny [484 - 502.9] ( Chapter 5 enacted 1872. )

(a) Every person who buys or receives any property that has been stolen or that has been obtained in any manner constituting theft or extortion, knowing the property to be so stolen or obtained, or who conceals, sells, withholds, or aids in concealing, selling, or withholding any property from the owner, knowing the property to be so stolen or obtained, shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170. However, if the value of the property does not exceed nine hundred fifty dollars ($950), the offense shall be a misdemeanor, punishable only by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, if such person has no prior convictions for an offense specified in clause (iv) of subparagraph © of paragraph (2) of subdivision (e) of Section 667 or for an offense requiring registration pursuant to subdivision © of Section 290.

I am not a lawyer nor does this constitute legal advice

eBay sellers bought 8 books from the person who may steal them from USPS.

Luckily I knew the eBay sellers and told them about the missing books. I showed them the proof of ownership. They realized and pulled them out from eBay.

They reported the stolen property to their local police. I reported mine then reported it to US Postal Inspection Service. I helped them to get their money back from PayPal. All 8 books were returned to Comiclink.

Right now PayPal and USPS are investigating on the person who sold 8 books via PayPal.

They have not called me but the investigation is underway since February 8. The updates will be followed up.

I hope the last book will be found in their place but who knows.

Luckily I knew the eBay sellers and told them about the missing books. I showed them the proof of ownership. They realized and pulled them out from eBay.

They reported the stolen property to their local police. I reported mine then reported it to US Postal Inspection Service. I helped them to get their money back from PayPal. All 8 books were returned to Comiclink.

Right now PayPal and USPS are investigating on the person who sold 8 books via PayPal.

They have not called me but the investigation is underway since February 8. The updates will be followed up.

So, you were sending them to Comiclink when they were stolen?

Just trying to figure out why your books that were stolen and showed up on ebay are being returned to comiclink.

And they are not really being "returned" if comiclink never had them in the first place, or did they?

The package that contained 9 books was intended for Comiclink. I dropped it in Priority Mail bin inside the lobby of my local post office (I never had a problem since 2009) before the final cutoff time at 6pm.

The USPS postal worker apparently didn't scan the tracking number. It went straight to Chicago Metro Hub before it was destined for Comiclink. The tracking number was never scanned or updated. It went missing since January 8. I reported it as the lost mail so they were trying to recover it. Never found. How could they miss the 16 x 12 x 6 box size that weighed 13 pounds?

From what I learned from the eBay sellers, they bought 8 books from the seller via PayPal. That person who sold them lives in Chicago (I have her name). I knew my books were stolen. I have two theories: USPS worker(s) may walk with my books from Chicago Metro Hub without being noticed OR they might replace my label with their label so it might go to their address in Chicago without being caught.

Literally, that thief was stupid to leave us the easy leads. PayPal and US Postal Investigation teams will find them. I have not heard anything from USPS but I really hope they make a quick process.

My books were ended up in Maine. Ironically, the eBay seller lives 10 miles away from Comiclink. I know him so well so my books were in good hands. He personally brought my books back to Comiclink and hopefully he will get the money back from PayPal.

I don't have the full story yet until the case is solved. I needed to know what happened to my ninth book.

So, you finished law school huh Kav?

lol

As a matter of fact my buddy who is a lawyer sent me that when I asked him about it.

Yes, Comiclink has my books. They informed me yesterday.

So, you were sending them to Comiclink when they were stolen?

Just trying to figure out why your books that were stolen and showed up on ebay are being returned to comiclink.

And they are not really being "returned" if comiclink never had them in the first place, or did they?

his reply:

If anybody steals mail it is a federal charge... there might be an enhancement for a USPS employee, but this is probably the main code used for charging.

18 U.S. Code § 1708 - Theft or receipt of stolen mail matter gen­erally

Current through Pub. L. 114-38. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)

US Code

Notes

Authorities (CFR)

prev | next

Whoever steals, takes, or abstracts, or by fraud or deception obtains, or attempts so to obtain, from or out of any mail, post office, or station thereof, letter box, mail receptacle, or any mail route or other authorized depository for mail matter, or from a letter or mail carrier, any letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail, or abstracts or removes from any such letter, package, bag, or mail, any article or thing contained therein, or secretes, embezzles, or destroys any such letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail, or any article or thing contained therein; or

Whoever steals, takes, or abstracts, or by fraud or deception obtains any letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail, or any article or thing contained therein which has been left for collection upon or adjacent to a collection box or other authorized depository of mail matter; or

Whoever buys, receives, or conceals, or unlawfully has in his possession, any letter, postal card, package, bag, or mail, or any article or thing contained therein, which has been so stolen, taken, embezzled, or abstracted, as herein described, knowing the same to have been stolen, taken, embezzled, or abstracted—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

I am not a lawyer nor does this constitute legal advice