• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern recommendations please

25 posts in this topic

That fit the criteria.

Modern limited or ongoing series.

No superheroes

No anime

No sci-fi - unless plausible. Yes to Europa Report but no to Star Wars

Nothing supernatural or magical

Looking for good crime or war stories as well as day to day dramas.

I'm already aware of:

Criminal series

Sin City series

The Fade Out

Scalped

Whiteout

Scene of the Crime

Thanks guys and gals

I know some people may be stuck in the past, but at this point Garth Ennis has probably written the best war stories in american comic history. Look at Vertigo's War stories and Battlefields (from Dynamite).

For drama type books, I think a go to is Daytrippers, Jeff Lemire's Essex County. I know you said no anime, I assume you mean manga, but if you don't mean all japanese comics by that, I'd check out Solanin by Inio Asano. Google the art style, it's very not what some people perceive is manga, and it's a series that was both Harvey and Eisner nominated over here. I don't think anyone does drama comics better than Japan, simply because they actually have popular genres in their comics there, while nothing but Superheroes (and only a few of them at that) ,Star Wars and Walking Dead actually sell here in any numbers.

I'm not really into crime comics so somebody else might help you better, though I really do like the adaptation of Paul Auster's fabulous novel, City of Glass, which was adapted by David Mazzucchelli and Paul Karasik. On the surface it's a detective story but if you are familiar with the rather highly regarded books, you know it's very meta and literary in what's usually, for me, a pretty bland and samie genre.

If you're looking for War and Crime, and don't want to stray too far from the same creators, who better to choose than Jacques Tardi?

Fantagraphics over the last few years have put out nice collections of his work, my favorite being: Like A Sniper Lining Up His Shot

61wahspaJnL._SX352_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

He teams again with author Jean-Patrick Manchette on the exceptional crime noir graphic novel West Coast Blues

61w1QznuBeL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And finally, their third collaboration, Run Like Crazy, Run Like Hell

61TwNys8C-L._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

As a part of these collections, Fantagraphics included Tardi's classic World War 1 graphic novel It Was the War of the Trenches

61w6L3JxBPL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and his ' This War!

61oLKs2Do1L._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You really can't go wrong with any of these

And of course, Love and Rockets, which, outside of some supernatural/sci-fi stories (mostly early on), and some fantasy/sci-fi stories here and there now, has plenty of day to day drama from either Jaimie or Gilbert.

My absolute favorite is Wig Wam Bam from Jaimie. It's a part of Book 3 (Perla la Loca) in the newest format of collection.

bookcover_perla3.png

3199001dc86f0d8c770d7262efa95fb8.jpg

Love and Rockets continues on, as Vol. 8 of 'New Stories' just came out last week:

9781606998656_L&RNS8.png

Velvet - 60's spy story with great Epting art.

Lazarus - post apocalyptic story but more of a Mobster feel to it. It has some light scifi elements, but I put it as plausible.

+10000000000 to Velvet. I think you'd really enjoy that book.

Lazarus is great as well.

look into Matt Kindt's indie books: Superspy, Red Handed, 3 Story and Mind MGMT. Mind MGMT is a little more fantastical (basically spies with powers), but very well done and lots of intrigue.