• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

Guess the 2 9.8 sales brought out a freshly graded 9.6. Shocker.

I have to say, that fresh 9.6 is absolutely glorious! Colors are vivid, nice centering and the back cover is pretty white. It will be interesting to see if and what it sells for.

It absolutely is a great looking 9.6. I'd be completely happy with that book and spend the other $50K plus on a lot of other sweet books.

+1,000,000 That is one of the nicest 9.6s I've seen... of any book

Not sure if everyone is zooming in to the top left on the 9.6 on CL, but I don't think I'd be willing to quite go 9.6 premium for that book graded last year.

It is beautiful though.

I have to say, that fresh 9.6 is absolutely glorious! Colors are vivid, nice centering and the back cover is pretty white. It will be interesting to see if and what it sells for.

It absolutely is a great looking 9.6. I'd be completely happy with that book and spend the other $50K plus on a lot of other sweet books.

Not sure if everyone is zooming in to the top left on the 9.6 on CL, but I don't think I'd be willing to quite go 9.6 premium for that book graded last year.

It is beautiful though.

I saw that. But still, an absolutely scorching copy! :o

It is beautiful though.

You're kidding right? That one little bump on what is otherwise an almost perfect book and you don't think it's a 9.6? :screwy:

Another thing this stunner has going for it: the top edge of the front cover has a few overhang bends, making it likely that the comic hasn't been pressed.

I would take that 9.6 over the Curator 9.8. Perfect wrap on this copy and less pages showing on the right edge than the Curator.

+1, plus like Barton mentioned, you could buy a ton of sweet books with the money saved.

I agree...9.6 all day long. I think this book was on Bob Storms' website a while back -- I remember drooling over it and wondering how I was going to get $13k or whatever the price tag was at the time.

Gorgeous, gorgeous copy.

Dan

This is not the same book Bob Storms had. I know the source of this book and it is fresh to market. It came from an OO run of some incredibly fresh copies. As Bob Namisgr pointed out, I don't believe the book was ever pressed. In hand, the book is stunning. Here are the CGC notes. The small Lite crease referenced is barely visible in hand and only at the proper angle. Have you ever seen CGC reference a book as beautiful ?

Left Top Front Cover Small Lite Crease Breaks Color

Spine Small Lite Stress Lines

Whole Book Otherwise Beautiful

This is not the same book Bob Storms had. I know the source of this book and it is fresh to market. It came from an OO run of some incredibly fresh copies. As Bob Namisgr pointed out, I don't believe the book was ever pressed. In hand, the book is stunning. Here are the CGC notes. The small Lite crease referenced is barely visible in hand and only at the proper angle. Have you ever seen CGC reference a book as beautiful ?

Left Top Front Cover Small Lite Crease Breaks Color

Spine Small Lite Stress Lines

Whole Book Otherwise Beautiful

Best graders note EVER

What I said was as clear as I cared about saying it.

I didn't know if everyone was really looking that closely, but what I saw at the top, I would not pay a 9.6 premium for it.

Clearly, it's thought of as a 9.6, or it wouldn't have been graded that.

Plenty of wraps I don't like get 9.6 slabs too.

If your reaction is "+ 1,000,000" and "best graders notes EVER", good for you.

You might have also noticed that I said it was beautiful.

DSC03982_zpsm2at1ovy.jpg

It is beautiful though.

You're kidding right? That one little bump on what is otherwise an almost perfect book and you don't think it's a 9.6? :screwy:

If it is the book I think it is, I saw it in hand last year and it was a 9.7 copy in hand.

If it didn't have any small defects it would be a 9.8 or higher.

The notion that a 9.4 or even a 9.6 are perfect books is wrong. They are supposed to have defects.

Additionally, scanners make defects look either worse or better (depending on the defect) all the time.

What I said was as clear as I cared about saying it.

I didn't know if everyone was really looking that closely, but what I saw at the top, I would not pay a 9.6 premium for it.

Clearly, it's thought of as a 9.6, or it wouldn't have been graded that.

Plenty of wraps I don't like get 9.6 slabs too.

If your reaction is "+ 1,000,000" and "best graders notes EVER", good for you.

You might have also noticed that I said it was beautiful.

DSC03982_zpsm2at1ovy.jpg

Yeah I heard you and you are in the minority there so perhaps you wouldn't pay a premium for any 9.6 (shrug)

It is beautiful though.

If it is the book I think it is, I saw it in hand last year and it was a 9.7 copy in hand.

If it didn't have any small defects it would be a 9.8 or higher.

The notion that a 9.4 or even a 9.6 are perfect books is wrong. They are supposed to have defects.

Additionally, they make defects look either worse or better (depending on the defect) all the time.

I agree here. A 9.6 isn't supposed to be perfect, but I do remember that a few years back [not too many], 9.6 keys were the pinnacle, and were, generally, side-by-side with a 9.4, the better book. And by most, were considered the grail ie. almost unattainable unless you had some wild spending cash to pick a book like that up.

Now, that level is called a 9.8. As close to print fresh as possible. [if there are SA 9.9's out there, then I'll add those to the list.] The 9.6 grade level seems to be a little more subjective these days. This book is like Roy said, a 9.7 IMHO. It's only slight flaw is that upper left corner, but given the rest of the book, seems like a better deal than the 9.8 labelled book.

Just my 2c

A 9.6 isn't supposed to be perfect, but I do remember that a few years back [not too many], 9.6 keys were the pinnacle, and were, generally, side-by-side with a 9.4, the better book. And by most, were considered the grail ie. almost unattainable unless you had some wild spending cash to pick a book like that up. Now, that level is called a 9.8. As close to print fresh as possible.

Very true, it wasn't that long ago that a 9.6 SA book was considered the pinnacle. Before the advent of pressing, cleaning, spine realignment, staple tucking, and some generally loose grading by CGC a SA 9.8 was rare,rare,rare. IMO, it is so much more rewarding to own a truly high grade book in it's original condition.

BTW, here are pics of the FF53 (Not for sale) from the same collection as the 9.6 FF52. While not quite as nice as the 52 it is still very fresh looking, and original.

IMG_4441.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

A 9.6 isn't supposed to be perfect, but I do remember that a few years back [not too many], 9.6 keys were the pinnacle, and were, generally, side-by-side with a 9.4, the better book. And by most, were considered the grail ie. almost unattainable unless you had some wild spending cash to pick a book like that up. Now, that level is called a 9.8. As close to print fresh as possible.

Very true, it wasn't that long ago that a 9.6 SA book was considered the pinnacle. Before the advent of pressing, cleaning, spine realignment, staple tucking, and some generally loose grading by CGC a SA 9.8 was rare,rare,rare. IMO, it is so much more rewarding to own a truly high grade book in it's original condition.

BTW, here are pics of the FF53 (Not for sale) from the same collection as the 9.6 FF52. While not quite as nice as the 52 it is still very fresh looking, and original.

IMG_4441.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

Nice book Bob! Is that yours? :headbang: