• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"ACTION," "DETECTIVE COMICS" RETURN TO ORIGINAL NUMBERING FOR "REBIRTH"

52 posts in this topic

You know, when both companies revealed the "marketing theory" behind the renumberings...that it makes it less intimidating for new readers, we complained and complained but ultimately everyone nodded their heads and reluctantly went along.

But now, the proof how just how ill conceived that strategy was has come home to roost. Instead of trusting that people could understand a linear strand of numbers ... no matter how high they go, you have "new readers" (and old for that matter) in comic book shops all over the country going through back issue binds with perplexed looks on their faces asking: "Why are there 7 different comics that claim to be #6? What order do I read any of these in?"

So yeah, I'm happy to see the original numbering coming back... but as others have said... probably way too little and far too late.

You know, when both companies revealed the "marketing theory" behind the renumberings...that it makes it less intimidating for new readers, we complained and complained but ultimately everyone nodded their heads and reluctantly went along.

But now, the proof how just how ill conceived that strategy was has come home to roost. Instead of trusting that people could understand a linear strand of numbers ... no matter how high they go, you have "new readers" (and old for that matter) in comic book shops all over the country going through back issue binds with perplexed looks on their faces asking: "Why are there 7 different comics that claim to be #6? What order do I read any of these in?"

So yeah, I'm happy to see the original numbering coming back... but as others have said... probably way too little and far too late.

I think it is pretty easy to tell the difference between Action Comics #25 Volume 1 and Action Comics #25 Volume 2.

However, you are absolutely right when it comes to these short lived series that only last 25 or so issues and are discontinued only to reboot five months later with a new number 1. Every now and then I come into a collection of books or 500 or so books of dealer overstock. I go nuts trying to figure out which "Punisher #6" goes with which series.

Does anyone else feel that the rebirth video is the same bull*&^% mea culpa we get from politicians and celebrities all the time. Hey we screwed up, sorry, but really we are not sorry, but we will do our best to sound sorry. I honestly do not care much about the numbering, I do care about dishonesty. I also care about the countless claims about trying to make things better for the readers both old and new, and not getting they are just trying the same things over and over. Please DC and Marvel, stop convincing yourselves that rebooting, retooling, and shaking things up are always the best solution. Can you finally learn that telling good stories, with good art, and connecting with your readers are at the heart of why we love comics. If you give us that, not only will we keep your old readers, I think you will be pleasantly surprised that your will attract new ones.

Yes, give us new characters, new stories, and new ideas. Yes keep things fresh, but do not wipe out, belittle and ignore the past.

So eventually Marvel will follow suit. Here are my questions for what will be issue 800. How will it take into account the following:

Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 and Volume 2 added up to 1-700 issues not including ".1" issues like 700.1, 700.2, 700.3, 700.4 and 700.5.

Superior Spider-man 1-33

Amazing Spider-man Volume 3 (2014) went from 1-20.1 except... there is a problem. The series really went to issue 18. Then it produced 19.1 and 20.1 without there being a proper 19 and 20.

Amazing Spider-man Volume 4 (2015) 1- whenever the next reboot will be.

This is just one convoluted mess especially with .1 issues were there were no proper whole numbers and the inclusion of a year and a half of Doc Ock Spiderman.

If anything, the publishers are pushing me out of reading as it becomes too much of a drain to keep track of it all and eventually it becomes work.

So eventually Marvel will follow suit. Here are my questions for what will be issue 800. How will it take into account the following:

Amazing Spider-man Volume 1 and Volume 2 added up to 1-700 issues not including ".1" issues like 700.1, 700.2, 700.3, 700.4 and 700.5.

Superior Spider-man 1-33

Amazing Spider-man Volume 3 (2014) went from 1-20.1 except... there is a problem. The series really went to issue 18. Then it produced 19.1 and 20.1 without there being a proper 19 and 20.

This is just one convoluted mess especially with .1 issues were there were no proper whole numbers and the inclusion of a year and a half of Doc Ock Spiderman.

If anything, the publishers are pushing me out of reading as it becomes too much of a drain to keep track of it all and eventually it becomes work.

Again however they settle the numbering issues in the long run. People will ignore the number on the book if the book is good. An issue number is not magic, and does not make a starting point. The start of a great story, or the beginning of a run by a creative team are the real starting points.

What I would like to see return is consistency in creative teams. When I look back at eras of books I love, I see consistency. Part of what made X-Men magic was Chris Clearmont controlling the book for so long. Snyder's current Batman run has been good because he has been given the time and latitude to build a story. So many of the current problems with quality would be solved by getting away from the need to shake things up all the time, which of course has its biggest manifestation in all the reboots.

Superior Spider-man 1-33

I'm glad they are moving Action and Detective back to the original numbering. It would also be nice to see Marvel go back to the original numbering for their books as well. As for ASM getting close to 800, I'd say Superior would count as well as the latest two volumes. Not sure the .1 type should count, it appears DC only counted the normal and 0 issues in the renumbering. They left out the 23.x and Future's End issues. But if Marvel wants to boost the number a little quicker to 800, then I guess that is their call.

Action and Detective going back to their original numbers.

So.... finally! Or who cares?

What say you?

Well, if you have a copy of Action 1 and Detective 1, who cares........the rest of the numbers don't matter (except for Detective 27, of course). :takeit:lol

Are they getting their pants back? :wishluck: (and ditching the nehru collared unitards with the oh-so-cute piping? meh )
This ^^

Especially Superman. Ranted about this so often, i'm sick of hearing myself lol

Superman's current look just does not cut it. Lose the collar, cuffs, bring back the shorts and 'S' curl!

No, I just couldn't stop them from doing it. All I could do was stop buying, so I did.

Marvel has disgusted me with the multiple reboots.

I thought Marvel rebooted their titles every month as they always seem to be on issue #1. :devil:

I've said it before, but the current numbering layout on Marvel's covers is hilarious. Three digits (with leading zeros)? Who do they think they're kidding? lol

"Don't worry - here's the NEW #1. And if you miss it this month, there'll be a new #1 next month"