• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Freaking Big Five DC war collecting bug bit me right is the "spoon" by JWKyle

79 posts in this topic

SSWS 150

Final Enemy Ace story and it was only a half issue story the Viking Prince took the second half of the book :frustrated:

Joe Kubert vikings is a good thing

It's not that I have a problem with The Viking Prince it's just that the Viking Prince stole half of MY Enemy Ace book. And it was his last issue :mad:

I'm standing outside a row of offices in a strip mall. They are labeled Air Force, Navy, Marine Corp and Coast Guard. Four different choices four different futures. I start thinking about my family and how there was a picture of my uncle in a military uniform setting on a coffee table at grandma's. What branch of service was he in again oh yes the United States Marine Corp. So I take a deep breath open the door and walk in. I've made a choice I have put myself in a future path that is just beginning. I have no clue what is in store for me or how this one single choice will guide my future.

Twenty Three years later I've made another choice. I have packed up all my Marvel Books. I'm not selling them because they are a part of me and I've been on that path for over 30 years but like I said I made a choice and I'm not buying them anymore. My Marvel Zombie card has been revoked and I'm moving on to something new something different to me that is.Collecting comics is fun it's a hobby for me my families shelter or meals don't depend on if I'm able to sell a book or what I won on a internet auction. The choice I made 23 years again put me on a path that made it possible for me to have a little disposable income to support my hobby.

I've created a working checklist binder for the Big 5 DC war titles. I had about 35 War books that fell into my crosshairs of the target books I'm on patrol for. If i remember correctly a lot if not all were bought in a Andy (thirdgreenham) sales thread when he was moving some of his collection. I've been buying like a drunken sailor the last month and a half. It started with buying a G.I. Combat 87 5.0 graded by another company and pretty much ending it with a win on Comlink of OFF 51 CGC 7.0 which is the second highest graded copy but with only 4 copies on the census I'm definitely going to beat the bushes trying to upgrade as I freaking love this cover. As soon as I get this delicious MRE in my hand I'll post in in my thread

Some of the art and stories in these books are excellent. It seems like the featured story in most issues are pretty good it's some of the back up stories that seem to be mailed in and it's definitely not all of them just one here or there. I would say the Enemy Ace character is probably the character I'm enjoying the most so far but The Haunted Tank , Gunner and Sarge , Johnny Cloud , Sgt Rock and the Easy company cast, The Hellcats or pretty much any of the main stays are usually a good read. Also the real early books that are pre-main stays have 4 solid draw and written stories.

I was never really a Joe Kubert fan probably because he did very little Marvel work. Oh man was I wrong his style just makes his War books pop off the page. His covers on the War books are amazing. It's kind of funny doing a little research I listened to the Comic Zone radio Vincent did with Joe around 2006 or so. I loved hearing how me got his start in his own words. There was a movie awhile back where Nic Cage played a black market arms dealer named Lord of War. I think I discovered the real Lord of War.

Well it's been a crazy month and a half. I hear the enemy zeroing in on my position so I'm going to dig in and get ready to fight it out. I'm just a boot but damn it's a blast being a boot and discovering the genre for the first time. I will leave with this I have some required reading I'm working on if anyone has any other books or web pages I can use for enlightenment just drop me a PM.

Semper Fi

My 1st required reading and next on deck will be the Chris Pedrin's big five book

61SslmxH5hL._SX331_BO1204203200_.jpg

I finished Man of Rock. It's not my position to judge Joe's life but looking back all any of us can do is look at how we live our life and when the end is near if we're happy with the outcome of how the big picture all played out. The way the book read I would say Joe was happy with his career choices and proud of his family. The book takes you from his very beginnings literally up to 2006. It also does a pretty good job of going through a history of a lot of the earlier publishers. If you haven't read it yet it's a pretty good read and I definitely recommend it. I will say the War comic portion of the book is not as heavy as one would think. You do get a little of an insight that Kubert ran a tight ship but seemed really loyal to his guys and looked for the same treatment in return.

I have about Thirty or so raw books that I need to get read and graded. I also have a copy of the Big Five war book coming in that should be here by Saturday or early next week. So I have some neat books in the queue coming up.

Ok I finished reading Chris Pedrin's big five book and it was good I think it is more of a tool to use to see who does what in which book. I can also see how this book helped form the Big Five War book collectors early on like in 1994 if I remember the internet was still in it's infancy so total information was just not a google search away. This book was knowledge and the thing about knowledge-- It's the Key

I also started back with some reading and grading I think I'm going to focus on comic books for the meantime. Here is a tasty little number.

SSWS 53

Good read I don't really see the Rock Proto in this one just a DI who has some of his recruits come back to thank him for his training but still a really good read.

SSWS%2053.jpg

Ok I finished reading Chris Pedrin's big five book and it was good I think it is more of a tool to use to see who does what in which book. I can also see how this book helped form the Big Five War book collectors early on like in 1994 if I remember the internet was still in it's infancy so total information was just not a google search away. This book was knowledge and the thing about knowledge-- It's the Key

It was a least 10 years (and probably more) before the Grand Comics Database had the kind of information that is was in the DC Big 5 Guide. It was extremely helpful.

It was a least 10 years (and probably more) before the Grand Comics Database had the kind of information that is was in the DC Big 5 Guide. It was extremely helpful.

One thing I was kind of wandering when i read the articles it seemed like this was suppose to be a 3 volume book but only one volume was released hm