• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Keene are you? Show us your Katy comics!
3 3

100 posts in this topic

Here's my #1. I recently just bought whatever decent copies of Pin Up Parade #9 and #12 I could find so I could finally complete my Katy collection.

To be a true completest I'd have to finish collecting all the Wilbur and Suzie issues she appeared in but I'm not actively pursuing that.

t-KK-01a-3-18-2013-DixieGordon-MercesburgPA_zps44325caa.jpg

Here's my #1. I recently just bought whatever decent copies of Pin Up Parade #9 and #12 I could find so I could finally complete my Katy collection.

To be a true completest I'd have to finish collecting all the Wilbur and Suzie issues she appeared in but I'm not actively pursuing that.

Is that the Dixie special, Tom? Amazing looking copy, can't wait to see what it grades if you ever slab it. Congrats on the completion! :applause: I only need two pinup parades as well and as much as I don't want to do it I've considered breaking down and buying qkick's copies. As for being a true completist, you know I'm already far down that rabbit hole. It's good to try to hold back but the itch will get to you eventually. ;) Thanks for posting your #1! (worship)

I guess I'm not a true completist because I only wanted 1-62, but I started off with Pin-Up #9. It was a warehouse find from Bakerstown about 12-13 years ago.

I really was not looking for one, but a friend at work wanted one and I bid for her on eBay. I kept getting outbid and finally called the guy (he seemed to have plenty of copies) and wound up going out in person to Long Island to see the warehouse. I must have had 30 copies at one time. He had stacks and stacks of them. I know I sold a bunch to paper doll collectors. That was back when I was selling more on eBay, a lot of the stuff I sold there, I got from the same warehouse, but that was a while ago.

I had a lot of company last week, so haven't gotten to look at my books, but that one is probably actually a decent grade.

Anyway, after that one and a whole bunch of pin-up 6's and 10's, I got hooked. I never wanted to see another pin-up, lol.

Edited by skypinkblu

Is that the Dixie special, Tom? Amazing looking copy, can't wait to see what it grades if you ever slab it. Congrats on the completion! :applause: I only need two pinup parades as well and as much as I don't want to do it I've considered breaking down and buying qkick's copies. As for being a true completist, you know I'm already far down that rabbit hole. It's good to try to hold back but the itch will get to you eventually. ;) Thanks for posting your #1! (worship)

That's the Dixie issue. I'd like to have it graded but the way the postal service has been operating in more recent years, I'm hesitant to send off any books for grading. They've really messed up the Houston mail distribution operations and they seem to lose or mishandle stuff all the time.

I've got a good start on the Suzie and Wilbur issues so it's likely I'll eventually have all of those even though I'm trying to avoid that. The later Wilbur issues by Dan DeCarlo are actually really nice books and they seem to be scarcer than the early issues.

You know how one can recognize a Fawcett book easily by its cover design, they stayed pretty close to one formula. The Archie series went one beyond and all have the same color scheme in the cover dress-up and I like them just for that. You get a stamp for the entire line during that time period. Easy to spot on the racks as well which I assume was the reason behind it.

I like the # 3 :thumbsup: It's my preferred color scheme: yellow band, red logo and blue letters edged in white.

Long before Facebook and Twitter, comic book fans had little opportunity to communicate with each other and the writers and artists of their favorite comic books. Katy Keene creator and artist Bill Woggon changed that by making Katy Keene comic books a truly interactive experience for the readers. Each issue was full of clothing fashions all based on reader submissions. Not only were designs by readers used as the basis for the stories and artwork but they were given full credit within each issue. Because Katy had both male and female fans, the user submissions included not only clothing fashions but also designs for cars, boats, and rockets as well as graphic layout and design submission for splash pages. Imagine being a kid in the 1950’s and opening a comic book to find your designs utilized and see your name in print; often accompanied by your photo.

Bill Woggon was very responsive to fans and provided encouragement to many young artists and designers. In Katy Keene #1, the final story was submitted by Nelson Bridwell, who would later go on to achieve comic book fame as an editor for DC Comics. Bridwell would have been around 19 at the time of his submission to KK #1. I seem to recall seeing an earlier KK submission of his in an older issue of Laugh or Pep but I don’t recall the issue. I occasionally google names of some of the KK contributors that were profiled in issues of Katy comics. It can be really interesting to find them or their histories online and see where their lives and careers went after their youth.

Below is the splash page for the Katy story submitted by Bridwell in 1949 followed by his letter to Woggon.

t-KK01-NB01_zpsdqjj1i7z.jpg

t-KK01-NB02_zpsdze5cs7t.jpg

I occasionally google names of some of the KK contributors that were profiled in issues of Katy comics. It can be really interesting to find them or their histories online and see where their lives and careers went after their youth.

I did just that yesterday :blush:

How time flies, I've been meaning to get back to this thread for more than 2 years, lol.

I had been trying to upgrade some of my books, and gave up after a while. They just are never around or I'd get outbid...so I sold the lower grade ones and I sent a few of the nicer copies to be slabbed (complete with Newton Rings it seems). 

It's raining, so I had a little time to go through the books I just got back and a few old ones.  I'm going to post them as I scan them. Probably only a few a day.

I think this is the 2nd highest copy, 2 of 2.

885075184_katykeene31cgc750001.thumb.jpg.affb9355aefb5e19c08217cbfafbf79f.jpg