• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Waylander’s LSCC 2016 Con report with LOADS of Pictures

190 posts in this topic

I am curious . Are the walls provided , or are they yours ? I have been looking for something quick and easy to use for booth set up and those would fit the bill .

Thanks

The white walls were provided by the show organisers, but then the displays in front of them were brought in by the individual dealers.

Regarding the question of what's hot...the same as the US, pretty much. However, there is a different buying pattern here in the UK and there remain a lot of readers/completists over here. Sold lots of large batches of SA & BA titles, both in high grade and low grade, for Guide with no resistance.

And to address a comment that I saw elsewhere regarding 'wall books', they are not just $10 & $15 books with slabs absent. On our wall alone we had a slabbed TOS #39, Action #252, X-Men #94 in 9.6, two Strange Tales #110, two Avengers #1, Daredevil #1, Brave And The Bold #28 and FF #48 and #52.

That's interesting re the completionists - and reassuring

did anyone sell any big books of note?

Are there more pics of girl in the black leather cat-suit?

BBC were filming and she and Judge Dredd were on it

Yeah, my experiences echo the proliferation of completists over here.

My biggest book that sold was Daredevil # 1 CGC 8.0.

I would love to meet our UK boardies, one day. (worship)

Great thread. :applause:

I hardly paid for a drink all weekend but not for a lack of trying. Great hosts!

First off, a big thank you to the organisers of LSCC The Greek, George, Imran, Gary and the volunteers! (worship) Without them, we'd have nothing and if you've never been, it's a really fun show (thumbs u

Wall of text, feel free to skip and just look at the photos

Like a lot of my fellow UK boardies, I was helping setup on the the Friday, after helping load vans after the show the previous year for Nick (Flaming_Telepath), Garry (gaz973) and the Scott's (Scott's Collectables), it was the latter who roped me into to being an extra pair of hands this year. Freelancing options available for next years show (thumbs u

Setup went smoothly. Having a big trolley helped with all the boxes and the old wooden clamshell wall displays were discarded for steel meshes zipped tied to freestand with clear perspex shelves. Brian has some pictures of the stand in earlier posts which allowed for several wall books and for all of the CGC books to be displayed.

The Scott's had Scott Williams and Alex Sinclair as their guests this year after they produced their DK3 variant so banners went up and the OA of the cover was on display. When I did manage to have a brief conversation with each of them, they were just as friendly as you would want them to be :applause: their popularity and commitment to their fans was on show with the never ending queues over both days besides when they had lunch or Scott had his "Inking Jim Lee" panel which was good fun!

So besides helping man the stall, my aim was always to be in artists alley securing a few sketches, picking up pre-show commissions and helping with pick ups for friends who couldn't make the show. It would turn out over the weekend that I never managed to look through any stalls :cry:

I visited Ian Churchill and his wife Sacha, friendly as always and collected a cover to the series The Coven which I'd always been a fan of. I've some pages from the series but always wanted a cover and proud to say I own one now :) Ian also drew another sketch cover for me to continue my Batman collection, though I forgot to take a closer photo :facepalm:

24847955599_8d294954ed.jpg25214824795_02ee5f37f7.jpg24587956083_176c1892ed.jpg

Another British artist John Watson was at the show and he had drawn this for me at last years NICE convention and it went away to be signed by Stan Lee and I collected it at LSCC. A big thank you to Scott's Collectables and NYComics for helping me achieve this and of course John himself!

24848457089_722d08374d.jpg

My idea has been to commission John to draw celebrities and have them sign the sketches instead of a comic or photo cover, something a little more unique and John really liked this idea. He drew the Chloe Bennet cover in my sig which will be cracked whenever the opportunity arises and did these two as pre-show commissions:

25096547292_e3041c47e0.jpg25096479002_5fd23069d8.jpg25214819505_b901e87a37.jpg

The Marty and Doc will be what I'll get signed in Kevlar's upcoming signature op with them. A massive thank you to Torrey, Rich Henn, Dre and Mike Balent for their patience, advice and help with this logistical nightmare. It didn't help when John Watson had a huge commute to make it back to the show on Sunday, arriving at 4:30pm, 30 minutes before it closed! You can read about that on his blog and see better scans of the two he produced for me :)

John also drew Harley Quinn sketch for me and stayed behind while everyone was packing up in order to complete it. A true gentleman! He also enjoyed seeing Stan's signature with his art and I'm hoping Stan enjoyed it himself :)

25096530802_01a000de31.jpg24919188020_9df66453a4.jpg

I'm also a huge fan of Emanuela Lupacchino (hey name is pronounced Lupa-key-no) and was lucky enough to get a pre-show commission :cloud9:

24847117159_fb79356883.jpg24584216954_c576c224f2.jpg

When I went to see it for the first time (I like artists to withold pictures on social media until I'm present) it blew my mind! :luhv: I've had a specific idea for a commission from Ema for a while but this one was just a request for Bombshell Harley and up to her if she wanted to add any background. I'd actually forgotten the last part as I knew she was pushed for time leading up to the show. I like to let the artists have as much creative freedom and am really happy with the result! It reminds me of the movie Dr Strangelove lol . Ema asked if I could collect it on the Sunday so she could add more detail to it and has requested a scan as she wishes to include it in her next sketchbook :whee: She also drew this on this blank cover for me, her choice between Arkham Knight, Bombshell or Suicide Squad Harley:

25188462846_669213278e.jpg

Maria Sanapo was always on my commission list after I met her at NYCC and she did this Zatanna commission for me which one other attendee asked if it was a print and managed to squeeze in my first Wonder Woman sketch too:

25121559941_c90bb2ce11.jpg24847186989_2e68c3c82a.jpg24847118409_dfc27aa476.jpg

Again I just asked for Zatanna and a background and my expectations were easily surpassed! She is super friendly and has a real passion for the medium. Maria and Marco Santucci were very popular and always looked like they were having a lot of fun and will be seeing them at ICE in September.

Elias Chatzoudis has always been on my commission wishlist and this year I wanted something from him. Luckily for me, I managed to get a spot on his list and was in two minds for an inked or colour piece. I opted for the former to save some money and especially after I browsed through his line art sketchbook. There's an amusing story behind this sketch cover and a few of the UK boardies know about it but I'll spare the blushes. Let's just say it adds to my enjoyment of the piece:

24584156774_515d58d081.jpg25188459206_424fb2d886.jpg

As you can tell, I am quite the Harley fan and my commission choices tend to be of the Bat characters. Odd when the FF is my favourite comic and I prefer Marvel over DC.

One of the artists I've always enjoyed is David Finch and leading up to the show, I had been discussing trying to add something from him to my collection. With the amount of running around I was doing on the Saturday and the constant queues for him, I thought my chances were gone, especially as it's first come, first served and you wait in line. I did ask his wife Meredith how much his sketches cost and was pleasantly surprised how reasonable the pricing was and that they would be the same on any size paper (Headshot, bust or torso).

Sunday was sketch and commission collection day and I passed by the Finch's table when there were only 8 or so fans queueing. To my surprise, they weren't there for signatures, David had an official signing taking place for an hour fast approaching at 12:30pm, they were for sketches only :o I jumped to the back of the queue and decided this would be my goal for the remainder of the show. Meredith kindly wrote out tickets for the few of us to save spots and suggested we come back when the signing was done. This was perfect as it allowed me to attend Scott Williams inking panel.

David drew Batman's, Joker's, Wonder Woman, Wolverine and a great Collosus. I had a few blanks with me and was leaning towards a headshot for money and spacial limitations. The fan who had the Collosus drawn had a large sketchbook and when I saw David sketch a lot larger than a blank, I asked if I could buy a spare page which he kindly gave me for free (worship) In the end, I decided on a torso which is really a full figure :o and received this:

24847056009_76244031bc.jpg25121556691_a3c8203475.jpg

While David was sketching, I had a good chat with Meredith who is absolutely lovely to talk with, from how she writes her scripts, how she was offered the WW book, what it's like collaborating with her husband compared to other artists, her goals and artists she'd like to work with and the upcoming Bats/Supes and Wonder Woman films.

One of the artists she mentioned was Emanuela Lupacchino who had drawn some of the WW covers and the recent colouring book variant. Now I had wanted to have this book coloured and my main goal would've been to ask Alex Sinclair if he would have the time to do so. Alex graciously offered to attempt to depending on how the queues were. Scott Williams had also offered to ink one of my sketches (the reason I had to go home during the boardie dinner once I downed my burger) but unfortunetely, there was never time.

I mentioned the possibility of Alex colouring to Meredtih and David and they asked to see it if it did happen. When I got back to the Scott's Collectables booth, Alex had this waiting for me which he managed to squeeze in:

25188455646_0e4e8f441f.jpg

He said he wished he had more time to colour the background but I love it as it is and am very lucky! With witness in tow, it was time to collect my commissions and when I visited Ema, her reaction was priceless :o I know another fan subbed the same book coloured by Sabine Rich and my friend had asked Ema to colour one for him but she didn't have the tools and ran out of time on Sunday when he brought some pencils. Ema willingly signed the book and when I mentioned I was going back to the Finch's for their signatures, she dropped what she was doing and said she was coming along and we walked there.

Meredith and David love Alex's work and were just as pleased to see it as Ema was. I ended up leaving them all to talk to one another as had little time to collect eveything and then start helping pack up and load the van.

My weekend during the show absolutely flew by! I only purchased 2 copies of a small press comic by Ryan Jenkins, one of the guys who works in my LCS, Orbital Comics, some supplies from Hotflips (bring a lot more silver age flip and stick bags next time please) and nothing else. I did help out an eBay customer of mine who asked for a Gary Frank signature and got a remark, a few sketch cover pick ups for others and a beautiful commmission from Dean Beattie on behalf of UK boardie Balham's Finest which I hope he shares with you all when I deliver it to him. I've not sent him a full picture of it yet lol

On the Scott's booth, when I was serving, bronze Star Wars books were popular, as were Thor's, Avengers and Strange Tales. I wasn't on the modern section that much and less stock of those were brought along but the Star Wars books were popular as was the new Spider-Man by Sara Pichelli. The biggest item that I sold on the stand was a 9.6 Batman 1 signed by Snyder and Capullo.

A big thank you to the fan who travelled from Germany at 4am to come and purchase 12 slabs from me, have a quick look around and fly home that same evening (worship)

I wish I had more time and co-ordination to have secured some books I've been after and met more of the guests, but I'm very happy with what I have and got to meet everyone above, Mike Zeck, Marv Wolfman, Sara Pichelli, Frank Cho, Ryan Stegman, John Totleben, Howard Chaykin, Laura Braga, Kevin O'Neil, Marco Santucci and others I've likely forgotten.

Roll on LSCC 2017! :banana:

Boon,

Thank you for adding to this thread - I do not know how you can have the patience you do.

I really wish I had time to see more of your sketches in person, the Stan Lee sketch was AWESOME!!!! and the Coven original cover, I am sure you're still smiling - SWEET!!!

Jon,

Your pictures do not do them justice - UTTERLY wonderful pieces.

Thankfully (I think) I am not into sketches but I can really see the addiction.

:applause:

First off, a big thank you to the organisers of LSCC The Greek, George, Imran, Gary and the volunteers! (worship) Without them, we'd have nothing and if you've never been, it's a really fun show (thumbs u

Wall of text, feel free to skip and just look at the photos

Like a lot of my fellow UK boardies, I was helping setup on the the Friday, after helping load vans after the show the previous year for Nick (Flaming_Telepath), Garry (gaz973) and the Scott's (Scott's Collectables), it was the latter who roped me into to being an extra pair of hands this year. Freelancing options available for next years show (thumbs u

Setup went smoothly. Having a big trolley helped with all the boxes and the old wooden clamshell wall displays were discarded for steel meshes zipped tied to freestand with clear perspex shelves. Brian has some pictures of the stand in earlier posts which allowed for several wall books and for all of the CGC books to be displayed.

The Scott's had Scott Williams and Alex Sinclair as their guests this year after they produced their DK3 variant so banners went up and the OA of the cover was on display. When I did manage to have a brief conversation with each of them, they were just as friendly as you would want them to be :applause: their popularity and commitment to their fans was on show with the never ending queues over both days besides when they had lunch or Scott had his "Inking Jim Lee" panel which was good fun!

So besides helping man the stall, my aim was always to be in artists alley securing a few sketches, picking up pre-show commissions and helping with pick ups for friends who couldn't make the show. It would turn out over the weekend that I never managed to look through any stalls :cry:

I visited Ian Churchill and his wife Sacha, friendly as always and collected a cover to the series The Coven which I'd always been a fan of. I've some pages from the series but always wanted a cover and proud to say I own one now :) Ian also drew another sketch cover for me to continue my Batman collection, though I forgot to take a closer photo :facepalm:

24847955599_8d294954ed.jpg25214824795_02ee5f37f7.jpg24587956083_176c1892ed.jpg

Another British artist John Watson was at the show and he had drawn this for me at last years NICE convention and it went away to be signed by Stan Lee and I collected it at LSCC. A big thank you to Scott's Collectables and NYComics for helping me achieve this and of course John himself!

24848457089_722d08374d.jpg

My idea has been to commission John to draw celebrities and have them sign the sketches instead of a comic or photo cover, something a little more unique and John really liked this idea. He drew the Chloe Bennet cover in my sig which will be cracked whenever the opportunity arises and did these two as pre-show commissions:

25096547292_e3041c47e0.jpg25096479002_5fd23069d8.jpg25214819505_b901e87a37.jpg

The Marty and Doc will be what I'll get signed in Kevlar's upcoming signature op with them. A massive thank you to Torrey, Rich Henn, Dre and Mike Balent for their patience, advice and help with this logistical nightmare. It didn't help when John Watson had a huge commute to make it back to the show on Sunday, arriving at 4:30pm, 30 minutes before it closed! You can read about that on his blog and see better scans of the two he produced for me :)

John also drew Harley Quinn sketch for me and stayed behind while everyone was packing up in order to complete it. A true gentleman! He also enjoyed seeing Stan's signature with his art and I'm hoping Stan enjoyed it himself :)

25096530802_01a000de31.jpg24919188020_9df66453a4.jpg

I'm also a huge fan of Emanuela Lupacchino (hey name is pronounced Lupa-key-no) and was lucky enough to get a pre-show commission :cloud9:

24847117159_fb79356883.jpg24584216954_c576c224f2.jpg

When I went to see it for the first time (I like artists to withold pictures on social media until I'm present) it blew my mind! :luhv: I've had a specific idea for a commission from Ema for a while but this one was just a request for Bombshell Harley and up to her if she wanted to add any background. I'd actually forgotten the last part as I knew she was pushed for time leading up to the show. I like to let the artists have as much creative freedom and am really happy with the result! It reminds me of the movie Dr Strangelove lol . Ema asked if I could collect it on the Sunday so she could add more detail to it and has requested a scan as she wishes to include it in her next sketchbook :whee: She also drew this on this blank cover for me, her choice between Arkham Knight, Bombshell or Suicide Squad Harley:

25188462846_669213278e.jpg

Maria Sanapo was always on my commission list after I met her at NYCC and she did this Zatanna commission for me which one other attendee asked if it was a print and managed to squeeze in my first Wonder Woman sketch too:

25121559941_c90bb2ce11.jpg24847186989_2e68c3c82a.jpg24847118409_dfc27aa476.jpg

Again I just asked for Zatanna and a background and my expectations were easily surpassed! She is super friendly and has a real passion for the medium. Maria and Marco Santucci were very popular and always looked like they were having a lot of fun and will be seeing them at ICE in September.

Elias Chatzoudis has always been on my commission wishlist and this year I wanted something from him. Luckily for me, I managed to get a spot on his list and was in two minds for an inked or colour piece. I opted for the former to save some money and especially after I browsed through his line art sketchbook. There's an amusing story behind this sketch cover and a few of the UK boardies know about it but I'll spare the blushes. Let's just say it adds to my enjoyment of the piece:

As you can tell, I am quite the Harley fan and my commission choices tend to be of the Bat characters. Odd when the FF is my favourite comic and I prefer Marvel over DC.

One of the artists I've always enjoyed is David Finch and leading up to the show, I had been discussing trying to add something from him to my collection. With the amount of running around I was doing on the Saturday and the constant queues for him, I thought my chances were gone, especially as it's first come, first served and you wait in line. I did ask his wife Meredith how much his sketches cost and was pleasantly surprised how reasonable the pricing was and that they would be the same on any size paper (Headshot, bust or torso).

Sunday was sketch and commission collection day and I passed by the Finch's table when there were only 8 or so fans queueing. To my surprise, they weren't there for signatures, David had an official signing taking place for an hour fast approaching at 12:30pm, they were for sketches only :o I jumped to the back of the queue and decided this would be my goal for the remainder of the show. Meredith kindly wrote out tickets for the few of us to save spots and suggested we come back when the signing was done. This was perfect as it allowed me to attend Scott Williams inking panel.

David drew Batman's, Joker's, Wonder Woman, Wolverine and a great Collosus. I had a few blanks with me and was leaning towards a headshot for money and spacial limitations. The fan who had the Collosus drawn had a large sketchbook and when I saw David sketch a lot larger than a blank, I asked if I could buy a spare page which he kindly gave me for free (worship) In the end, I decided on a torso which is really a full figure :o and received this:

24847056009_76244031bc.jpg25121556691_a3c8203475.jpg

While David was sketching, I had a good chat with Meredith who is absolutely lovely to talk with, from how she writes her scripts, how she was offered the WW book, what it's like collaborating with her husband compared to other artists, her goals and artists she'd like to work with and the upcoming Bats/Supes and Wonder Woman films.

One of the artists she mentioned was Emanuela Lupacchino who had drawn some of the WW covers and the recent colouring book variant. Now I had wanted to have this book coloured and my main goal would've been to ask Alex Sinclair if he would have the time to do so. Alex graciously offered to attempt to depending on how the queues were. Scott Williams had also offered to ink one of my sketches (the reason I had to go home during the boardie dinner once I downed my burger) but unfortunetely, there was never time.

I mentioned the possibility of Alex colouring to Meredtih and David and they asked to see it if it did happen. When I got back to the Scott's Collectables booth, Alex had this waiting for me which he managed to squeeze in:

25188455646_0e4e8f441f.jpg

He said he wished he had more time to colour the background but I love it as it is and am very lucky! With witness in tow, it was time to collect my commissions and when I visited Ema, her reaction was priceless :o I know another fan subbed the same book coloured by Sabine Rich and my friend had asked Ema to colour one for him but she didn't have the tools and ran out of time on Sunday when he brought some pencils. Ema willingly signed the book and when I mentioned I was going back to the Finch's for their signatures, she dropped what she was doing and said she was coming along and we walked there.

Meredith and David love Alex's work and were just as pleased to see it as Ema was. I ended up leaving them all to talk to one another as had little time to collect eveything and then start helping pack up and load the van.

My weekend during the show absolutely flew by! I only purchased 2 copies of a small press comic by Ryan Jenkins, one of the guys who works in my LCS, Orbital Comics, some supplies from Hotflips (bring a lot more silver age flip and stick bags next time please) and nothing else. I did help out an eBay customer of mine who asked for a Gary Frank signature and got a remark, a few sketch cover pick ups for others and a beautiful commmission from Dean Beattie on behalf of UK boardie Balham's Finest which I hope he shares with you all when I deliver it to him. I've not sent him a full picture of it yet lol

On the Scott's booth, when I was serving, bronze Star Wars books were popular, as were Thor's, Avengers and Strange Tales. I wasn't on the modern section that much and less stock of those were brought along but the Star Wars books were popular as was the new Spider-Man by Sara Pichelli. The biggest item that I sold on the stand was a 9.6 Batman 1 signed by Snyder and Capullo.

A big thank you to the fan who travelled from Germany at 4am to come and purchase 12 slabs from me, have a quick look around and fly home that same evening (worship)

I wish I had more time and co-ordination to have secured some books I've been after and met more of the guests, but I'm very happy with what I have and got to meet everyone above, Mike Zeck, Marv Wolfman, Sara Pichelli, Frank Cho, Ryan Stegman, John Totleben, Howard Chaykin, Laura Braga, Kevin O'Neil, Marco Santucci and others I've likely forgotten.

Roll on LSCC 2017! :banana:

Great report Boon and superb artwork. I guess I'll forgive you for not coming and buying something this year. ;)

Regarding the question of what's hot...the same as the US, pretty much. However, there is a different buying pattern here in the UK and there remain a lot of readers/completists over here. Sold lots of large batches of SA & BA titles, both in high grade and low grade, for Guide with no resistance.

Seems like reading is still an important part of the curriculum in England! :headbang:

Other people book commissions in advance, but this was the only thing I got before the show...

12734176_10153870173165126_8603111461859554873_n_zpsjpgurxy5.jpg

...and it was very much touch and go whether I made it there at all.

However, with the help of the fekking epic community that is the UK boarders (and one Canadian!), I not only got there, but also had a great show.

Those people who did all the leg work for me deserve naming...it happened because of them.

Medals Of Honour

Andrew (Comicopolis)

Chris (Bane)

Garry (gaz973)

Mark (Blokie)

Jon (WhiskeyMan)

John (piper)

Honourable Mentions

David (Max Carnage)

Brian (Waylander)

Paul (Stryfe1000)

Dan (djc81)

To every one of you... (worship)(worship)(worship)

:blush: Does the story involve me by any chance? That sketch was in my possession for about 30 minutes until a stressed looking Elias tapped me on the shoulder and said he had given me the wrong Harley, poor guy looked very worried as he had been searching the whole convention for me.