• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Image Publisher Eric Stephenson Urges Comics Industry Not To Repeat Past Mistake

140 posts in this topic

Really, if you look at how the publisher's have been doing the last couple of years, other than Marvel with Star Wars, you have to wonder how much this incentive variant thing really is working....

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-23%20at%2012.19.58%20PM_zpsbr32ccuc.png

Image Comics in both Retail Market Share and Unit Market Share has really made the most substantial gains over the last few years.

Without Star Wars, Marvel may have flat lined over that period, and DC is falling hard.

Boom, another publisher that has made a commitment to independent artists and creator owned publishing passed up Dynamite Entertainment (heavily using incentive variants) for both Retail Market Share and Unit Market Share and in 2015 took over the #6 spot.

Dark Horse, slow and steady lost a little ground, and the aggressive IDW picked up some of that.

Chuck you're beginning to sound like a broken record.

When a piblishers's overall market share is infinitesimal

I'll take 10% of a $388 Million Market any day. If you think that is 'infinitesimal', you're clueless. It's why the people at Boom! Studios work that hard to try and make their 'infinitesimal' $8.84 Million market share into something bigger.

and it (barely) has exactly 3 titles in the top 50 month to month

You really don't understand 'market share' do you? It includes all products sold by the publishers each month, and that means Graphic Novels, Trade Paperbacks and Hardcovers, of which Image DOMINATES. As the Book Publisher of the Year for Diamond Distribution the last two years they have shown a commitment to expanding their hold on that market over the 'Big Two'.

For 2015, the YEAR, Marvel had 2 books in the top 12, and 5 in top 25. Image had 8 in top 12 and 14 of the top 25.

:gossip: Book sales are more profitable.

It doesn't take much of anything to show what superficially looks like a significant percentage movement one way or the other in sales. In other words , it means nothing.

You're not a math guy are ya slugger?

Let's see:

2014 $355 Million, 9.23% = $32.76 Million

2015 $388 Million, 9.93% = $38.52 Million

$5.76 Million Increase....

A $5.76 MILLION DOLLAR increase 'means nothing'? lol

And considering that's up from their 3.32% of $269 Million Dollar Market 4 years ago (meaning they brought in $30 MILLION MORE this year than 4 years ago), it's safe to say that those market share points DO mean something.

Duh.

You obviously like the "Image Way" so it sounds like the best thing for you to do is to load up on all of their titles and let all the other retailers satisfy the demands of customers by ordering all of the many Star Wars comics and variants that people actually want and buy.

That's not the discussion, never was the discussion, and wasn't ever going to BE in the discussion until YOU have decided to put it here.

This is your disingenuous style of posting all because you're butthurt that maybe your precious variant market will collapse if enough readers, or people with just plain common sense figure out that, the isn't going to be worth anything. It's an imaginary market.

And maybe people are tired of being taken advantage of by it. They're tired of looking like a fool for buying some $25 variant, only to see it in a dollar box later. They're tired of chasing silly variants that they can't sell later on because no one has any interest. They're tired of being lied to.

And hopefully, they love comics enough that rather than LEAVE comics, as many did in the 90's, they learn to find books they enjoy READING and invest themselves in the quality of the art form that IS still out there. It is a another renaissance in comics right now, and I would prefer not see greed tear it all down again.

I'll continue to sell Marvel Comics and support Marvel Comics and promote their books, regardless if I think they're well written, or well drawn or properly edited or headed in the 'right' direction (whatever that means), as what someone likes and wants to read is comes down to taste.

Marvel has plenty of quality books to read. I'm happy to promote them. If I sell enough of a specific book to get a variant, I'll maybe get it. Occasionally I just pass on some of them as I don't need an extra book that I don't need.

What I won't do, is buy extra books I don't need and play into some variant market.

Meanwhile the "Image Way" can hopefully keep your doors open with just the Walking Dead and one issue of Saga and/or Paper Girls every three months.

As pointed out, Saga out sold Iron Man for the month of January (It's about even with Iron Man in my store), and independents make up about 40% of my sales. Happy to have a diverse selection books. Happy to sell Marvel Comics too. And DC and Boom! and Valiant and Dynamite, etc. Not a whole lot of incentive variants.

Problem solved. (thumbs u

-J.

Problem isn't solved.

Chuck your arrogance is only exceeded by your stunningly poor read on what collectors actually "want" to buy, and where the market is obviously headed.

My arrogance isn't exceeded by anything. And the price of the average variant keeps going down, so, not sure how you think the 'market' is headed that way.

And personally, I have no issue with 'variants', just incentive variants. But don't let that get in the way of your misinformed rant. It's kinda funny.

Your constant histrionics about variants reminds me of what the executives at the corporate headquarters at Blockbuster surely must have been spouting right around the time Netflix started to become a thing.

Uh... no. Very weird comparison.

Change is good man.

lol

When Marvel or DC start putting out millions of copies of the same book with minor or no difference in the ART, and/or just stick them in a poly bag or stick a hologram on the front cover or make the cover glow in the dark, then you "might" have a plausible basis for comparing now to "the nineties".

A gimmick is a gimmick. And incentive variants are a gimmick to get retailers to buy copies of books they don't need.

But many, many collectors like variants , like the superior ART on them, which is often by a hot or very talented artist. Many collectors like hunting down these awesome pieces of ART, and/or like the way they look in a slab.

Sure. I see that. Got no problem with that.

Spending $1500 for one? Insane. But I still have no problem with that.

Collect whatever you want. Pogs were big once.

Like it or not, slugger, CGC changed the hobby and in the age of the slab beautifully drawn or painted covers can be King.

Not the same thing.

And FYI, it's no real surprise Image outsells the big two in TPB, given their generally pisspoor and erratic publishing schedules that is the only way many collectors can stand reading their stories.

Jim Steranko and Dave Stevens are two of the most popular artists of my lifetime. They've never been known for being a 'monthly' artist. In fact, their output would be considered 'minimal'

As I believe in the 'art form' more than I do the 'sales techniques', I think their place in history speaks for itself as to what has a lasting impact.

Turok #1 sold a lot of copies, and came out monthly on time!

'Nuff said.

But again, this is a board of generally COMIC (and slab) collectors , so good luck trying to convince many people here that they should give two hot damns about Image's fabulous strides in the TPB market, when they usually don't have more than ONE actual COMIC BOOK title cracking the top 50. Maybe if they did, they would have more than a single digit market share and would actually be able to sell enough copies of a book to a retailer such as yourself to even warrant offering an incentive variant in the first place. lol

-J.

It's a double digit market share now, champ.

I don't have to convince anyone of anything. All I have to do is wait it out as I did in the 90's and most of you will get frustrated and leave when you realize you've been duped and you have a bunch of worthless paper.

People who loved the stories will always have that to fall back on.

But feel free to collect as you wish, I could really care less as, once again, that wasn't my point.

I actually agree with you on returnability. Even if that would obviously undermine the incentive variant program. That is a battle worth fighting.

But I remain genuinely baffled at some of your statements. It's as if you are operating inside of a bubble that does not extend beyond the front door of your own store.

I've said before that some of the covers I have seen I liken to limited edition lithographic prints. Fine ART, produced in limited quantities , for the discriminating collector with slightly deeper pockets who doesn't mind paying for that ART. I think this comparison is much more appropriate than yours. Pogs? Really? Come on man.

There's plenty of art that's great, that's worth chasing. ASM #667 looks horrible. Why are people chasing it? Not for the art.

Because that's what comic books ultimately are, right ? I have seen some covers by some EXTREMELY gifted artists that simply blow my mind. Obviously having 50 variants for Spider -Gwen 1 is ludicrous. Fortunately that is the exception and not the rule, and usually only happens with a heavily anticipated and promoted "#1".

Incorrect. I'm doing my Diamond Order right now. Once again Marvel has incentive variants for almost 40 different NON #1 comics, including multiple incentive variants for a few of them, ON TOP OF the one's they have for another round of #1's.

It's NOT the exception. We go through this every month more and more.

But that's business. The publishers are doing what they need to do, and what obviously works, to keep putting out this material.

Making a book sell more at distribution isn't healthy for the industry. THIS is where the comparison to the 90's comes in.

Did you know that Turok #1 for Valiant sold over a million copies at distribution? Problem is, it didn't SELL at retail. (To the degree it needed to, I know people who own long boxes of that book)

What led to that?

Speculation of what sales COULD be.

Which is what incentive variants are all about....

...advancing the notion that they are "putting themselves out of business because of variants" is a little like Chicken Little running around in the rain telling everyone that the sky is falling.

-J.

Once again, you're making stuff up. No one said anyone was putting themselves out of business.

Why do you debate like this? Making up quotes.... so very dishonest.....

Chuck, your sour grapes and bitterness are very apparent. At least I know to take your jaded opinions with a grain of salt the next time I read any of your comments pertaining to a rare variant, its print run, etc. I think the market has passed you by and you seem unable (or unwilling) to adapt.

Perhaps it's time to start considering hanging it up and retiring. lol

-J.

Chuck, your sour grapes and bitterness are very apparent. At least I know to take your jaded opinions with a grain of salt the next time I read any of your comments pertaining to a rare variant, its print run, etc. I think the market has passed you by and you seem unable (or unwilling) to adapt.

-J.

I've caught you making up quotes twice in this discussion. That's lying.

So you turn it around into a slight against me, as a way to deflect.

Making up quotes and arguing from a standpoint that no one is making is either delusional or disingenuous.

Either way, it's kind of strange.

Do you think no one sees it?

-J.

Making up quotes and arguing from a standpoint that no one is making is either delusional or disingenuous.

I honestly can't figure out why you're still arguing with him.

Your stance is pretty clear and well stated for anyone else that comes along and reads the thread (less and less likely with the back and forth between you two) and besides, at this point it's just name calling.

-J.

lol How ridiculously melo- dramatic.

I suppose you've never heard of "paraphrasing".

-J.

It should also be pointed out that while all the companies make and print comic books, their strategies and target numbers and goals for certain types of revenues in certain types of markets can differ veeeerrrry wildly.

Additionally, while we might think that some parts of the industry are moving in the wrong directions, I would say the industry as a whole is more flexible with respect to its strategies, and can respond faster, and process different types of information/feedback much faster than it has in the in the 90's, especially with a more diverse market, and lower print runs and expectations even for the most popular comics like Batman or ASM.

These companies are streamlined and run by smarter full corporations with full marketing and research resources, with other multi-media agendas. I'm not saying that keeps them from making mistakes, but it allows them to recognize the issues and respond faster, decreasing the likelihood of a full crash. Additionally, the widely available secondary market will keep this from crashing too quickly overall as well. People can lower the prices incrementally on 'once-hot' comics and they'll likely sell somewhere for 'some' profit, or at least a recovery of costs.

In the 90's, if you had a stack of leftover X-Men 1's you were once selling for $10 a pop, once the market in your area was saturated, you had no recourse to move them as an LCS, they just sat their gathering dust. Now you can blow them out on the 'net and get at least SOME money back. This is no small issue, and is a saving grace for a lot of stores.

In summary, there are issues, and there will be always be room for improvement, but I don't think a crash on any kind of major scale is imminent or likely.

-J.

-J.

Do you?

Paraphrasing would be taking something that was actually said and 'phrasing' it to make it more concise.

I said nothing along the lines of "putting themselves out of business because of variants".

I also said nothing even remotely along the lines of NOT selling anyone else's comics.

I think what you meant to say is, "Chuck, I suppose you've never heard of disingenuous hyperbole to distract from me getting my hat handed to me in a forum discussion?"

To which I would say, "Why yes I have. I've read plenty of your other posts."

-J.

-J.

Do you?

Paraphrasing would be taking something that was actually said and 'phrasing' it to make it more concise.

I said nothing along the lines of "putting themselves out of business because of variants".

I also said nothing even remotely along the lines of NOT selling anyone else's comics.

I think what you meant to say is, "Chuck, I suppose you've never heard of disingenuous hyperbole to distract from me getting my hat handed to me in a forum discussion?"

Let's just say that you have your opinions of the gist of what you say and how you come across in your posts and I have mine and leave it at that. (thumbs u

-J.

It should also be pointed out that while all the companies make and print comic books, their strategies and target numbers and goals for certain types of revenues in certain types of markets can differ veeeerrrry wildly.

Additionally, while we might think that some parts of the industry are moving in the wrong directions, I would say the industry as a whole is more flexible with respect to its strategies, and can respond faster, and process different types of information/feedback much faster than it has in the in the 90's, especially with a more diverse market, and lower print runs and expectations even for the most popular comics like Batman or ASM.

These companies are streamlined and run by smarter full corporations with full marketing and research resources, with other multi-media agendas. I'm not saying that keeps them from making mistakes, but it allows them to recognize the issues and respond faster, decreasing the likelihood of a full crash. Additionally, the widely available secondary market will keep this from crashing too quickly overall as well. People can lower the prices incrementally on 'once-hot' comics and they'll likely sell somewhere for 'some' profit, or at least a recovery of costs.

In the 90's, if you had a stack of leftover X-Men 1's you were once selling for $10 a pop, once the market in your area was saturated, you had no recourse to move them as an LCS, they just sat their gathering dust. Now you can blow them out on the 'net and get at least SOME money back. This is no small issue, and is a saving grace for a lot of stores.

In summary, there are issues, and there will be always be room for improvement, but I don't think a crash on any kind of major scale is imminent or likely.

:applause:

Well said. This is the kind of balanced and well reasoned analysis that can advance a more productive conversation.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Do you?

Let's just say that you have your opinions of the gist of what you say and how you come across in your posts and I have mine and leave it at that. (thumbs u

-J.

You can feel the gist of what I say is secretly killing Dolphins, it doesn't make it sane or rational and especially not correct.

Your reasoning is peculiar.

-J.

-J.

Do you?

-J.

You can feel the gist of what I say is secretly killing Dolphins, it doesn't make it sane or rational and especially not correct.

Okay Chuck, you've officially gone off the rails. I suppose this is your idea of handing my hat to me in a forum debate. I think you just keep hiding out in your little bubble, waiting for another "1990's crash" (there's those darn quotes that are paraphrasing your Chicken Little nonsense again) while everyone else goes right on enjoying this 2016 incarnation of the hobby without you and your unabashedly and relentlessly negative, biased and jaundiced opinions that you attempt (very poorly) to pass off as "facts".

Nobody said the hobby is perfect. Few things are. But all things considered I would argue that comic books and the characters and stories within are bigger than ever, and the hobby is doing just fine. Good talk. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

-J.

Do you?

-J.

Okay Chuck, you've officially gone off the rails. I suppose this is your idea of handing my hat to me in a forum debate. I think you just keep hiding out in your little bubble, waiting for another "1990's crash" (there's those darn quotes that are paraphrasing your Chicken Little nonsense again) while everyone else goes right on enjoying this 2016 incarnation of the hobby without you and your unabashedly and relentlessly negative, biased and jaundiced opinions that you attempt (very poorly) to pass off as "facts".

Nobody said the hobby is perfect. Few things are. But all things considered I would argue that comic books and the characters and stories within are bigger than ever, and the hobby is doing just fine. Good talk. (thumbs u

-J.

hm Why does that sound like something that people would have been saying in 1993?

Really, if you look at how the publisher's have been doing the last couple of years, other than Marvel with Star Wars, you have to wonder how much this incentive variant thing really is working....

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-23%20at%2012.19.58%20PM_zpsbr32ccuc.png

Image Comics in both Retail Market Share and Unit Market Share has really made the most substantial gains over the last few years.

Without Star Wars, Marvel may have flat lined over that period, and DC is falling hard.

Boom, another publisher that has made a commitment to independent artists and creator owned publishing passed up Dynamite Entertainment (heavily using incentive variants) for both Retail Market Share and Unit Market Share and in 2015 took over the #6 spot.

Dark Horse, slow and steady lost a little ground, and the aggressive IDW picked up some of that.

Image's unit share growth appears to have been roughly the same until the steep drop in 2015 which coincides with their decision to take the variants away from retailers. I'd be willing to wager that this continues in 2016. Marvel had substantial growth the same year.

While I'm not a fan of variants per se, I'm a huge fan of choice and options. Incentivized books may not do much for Image but I still believe it helped the retailers who took the time to help create, market, and ultimately sell the final product. It simply seems odd to me that the guy in charge worries and feels the need to "equal" everything out. Is he also going to go to the LCS and make sure they hold books for people so that everyone gets one ?

Marvel is having an excellent run with Star Wars and I personally think its well deserved based on the quality of most of those books. They were doing pretty well prior to that with new releases like GotG, Superior Spider-man, Infinity, X-men, Uncanny X-men, Age of Ultron, and the like. They seem to be gaining steam from the secondary market now relative to a year of 2 ago. Gwenpool, Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, Deadpool and others have drawn a lot more attention than any new Image book I can think of that came out this year.

Monstress looks to be a hit but issue #3 sold about as many copies as East of West #24. In fact, of the Image issues listed earlier in the thread, all except Monstress and Descender #1 can be found in multiples of 25 or more at Midtown. Even the titles that had an 8,000 copy print run. This is the 1st February in recent memory that I can recall that being the case. It appears that these books are collecting dust. Part of that could be the quality of the books relative to previous years. Monstress did go to a 3rd print but nothing else really sticks out.

Having backstock on the shelf is nice but its unimaginable that their goal at Image was to have books from October and November available in large quantities 3 to 4 months later, isn't it ? If they really want to change the market, they might work on getting books out on an as advertised schedule.

One last thing I've noticed. In every article, ES mentions all of the wonderful books and the talent which I agree, he has it. He seems to fail to mention Hickman, Dragotta, or East of West. Of books in the Image catalog that have made it to 20 issues, it is their 3rd best selling title. Is there a rift that and is that due to the delays or what caused them ? Anyone with inside info on the matter ?

-J.

-J.

Do you?

-J.

-J.

hm Why does that sound like something that people would have been saying in 1993?

People have been saying it for as long as I can remember. I've wondered it 1000 times if I've thought about it once. The '90s saw a purge but there was an immense amount of excellent books and even many now valuable comics from that era. Everything has it's day I suppose. lol

-J.

-J.

Do you?

-J.

-J.

People have been saying it for as long as I can remember. I've wondered it 1000 times if I've thought about it once. The '90s saw a purge but there was an immense amount of excellent books and even many now valuable comics from that era. Everything has it's day I suppose. lol

lol And "people" have also been predicting another "crash" for longer than the actual original crash lasted (thank you ebay!).

Seems rather boring to me at this point and counter productive to a comic book enthusiast oriented site.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Do you?

-J.

-J.

lol And "people" have also been predicting another "crash" for longer than the actual original crash lasted (thank you ebay!).

Seems rather boring to me at this point and counter productive to a comic book enthusiast oriented site.

-J.

I meant that people were saying the market would crash..and every once in a while, they're right. No shot at you. :hi: I actually think the market is fine. It seems to me that marketing is just beating storytelling overall but not completely.

I'm personally glad for you that you get to buy those limited covers, or at the very least, have the option to own them. Taking them away to balance the scales just doesn't make sense to me. Then again, I like Spawn. What the heck do I know ? lol

Agreed. That has been my point and that of couple of others I think. Kind of like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Just because Marvel and DC offers a variant does not mean that a retailer has to order enough copies to get one. If enough retailers stop doing so, because their customers stop buying them, eventually they will stop offering them (or at least not as many or as often). Obviously as of now, there is enough demand to support that part of the business. The attempts of a few to de-legitimize what so many collectors enjoy just smacks of a crass attempt to demonize something just because "they" don't like or understand it, and/or want to level the playing field so they don't have to increase their orders to get a variant that maybe the shop one town over or that seller on ebay might get.

Oh, and I didn't think you took at shot at me. I was just following up on your post noting the irony of what the Chicken Littles have been "predicting" for what has to be seven years now. lol

-J.

Having backstock on the shelf is nice but its unimaginable that their goal at Image was to have books from October and November available in large quantities 3 to 4 months later, isn't it ?

It is? What creator WOULDN'T want their work available 3 to 4 to 12 months after it originally came out?

If I walk into a Book store and want a book by Chuck Palahniuk, whatever his latest work is will be on the shelf for over a year and maybe longer....

Having backstock on the shelf is nice but its unimaginable that their goal at Image was to have books from October and November available in large quantities 3 to 4 months later, isn't it ?

It is? What creator WOULDN'T want their work available 3 to 4 to 12 months after it originally came out?

If I walk into a Book store and want a book by Chuck Palahniuk, whatever his latest work is will be on the shelf for over a year and maybe longer....

The kind trying to sell through and go to a 2nd printing. lol

If comic shops were like bookstores, maybe it could see it. Even more so if they were 2nd or later prints. I doubt anyone wants their 1st printing of a book sitting in the discount pile or the $1 box. Maybe I'm wrong and they consider it good exposure. (shrug)

The kind trying to sell through and go to a 2nd printing. lol

If comic shops were like bookstores, maybe it could see it. Even more so if they were 2nd or later prints. I doubt anyone wants their 1st printing of a book sitting in the discount pile or the $1 box. Maybe I'm wrong and they consider it good exposure. (shrug)

I wish kurtis wiebe still posted on the forums. He can confirm if he would prefer Peter panzerfaust or rat queens be available 4 months after release date. lol