• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard Mag Collectors?
1 1

64 posts in this topic

I still buy old Wizard Magazine issues. I still love the old articles and the Year ender issues. They are huge up to 200 pages.

Im also into the obscure Specials like the Dark Room Volume 1 and the X-Men 30th anniversary special from way back

This week I am travelling for work meetings. Today I went to visit s comic shop and picked up a few older comics, nothing big just some good reads. I also decided to run to a card shop that I use to visit. While looking for some old hockey becketts I discovered a full long box of Wizards. Almosts full run of the first 30 issues plus about 50 still sealed in the original bag!!! I thought this was his PC but he said they are extras and they are available. As I mentioned in an earlier post I wanted a #1, well now I have it. I grabbed the 1-4 plus almost the rest of the first 20 issues he had. I also grabbed around 40 more cool issues. I am so excited lol, my wife was laughing at how excited I was. When I get home next week I will scan some pictures and post them. I also got some other early comic book collector and over street magazines.

Edited by kidcolt

I have 6, 8 (I think) then #9 to about #30something and some special issues all NM/M kept in their poly-bags, bagged, boarded, and boxed etc.

I've been debating whether it is worth CGC'ing any of them to sell. I see plenty on ebay but no where near as pristine as the ones I have.

I also have #11 signed by Todd Mcfarlane.

I don't know what the interest is but given how important Wizard was to the 90s and the scene then (especially helping Image, Valiant & Indie titles) it's hard for me to imagine why there aren't more people interested in collecting them.

On 2/25/2016 at 11:40 AM, StuporMan said:

Wondering if there are any Wizard collectors out there. I've seen a few on the bay...just curious if anyone out there is hoarding some early high-grade copies :insane:

Issue-10-Cover_zps300a3496.jpg

Yeah, I purchased a guys collection on eBay that were never read. They were bagged ad boarded and are just in pristine condition. Its missing a few of the variants from latter issues but its 100% complete up to issue like 175. Eventually I plan to track down the remaining issues I need so it will be 100% complete. One of the best parts of that collection was he had multiple copies of all of the poster mania issues and those can sell for like $40-$50 a pop on eBay when in mint condition. 

On 1/4/2019 at 10:51 AM, deadleg said:

A7DBD154-F6A9-4B13-8505-A79FE6BCFBBC.jpeg

They must have printed off an unlimited quantity of this first issue as I remember getting my copy when they were handing them out for free at the SD Con.

I also still remember Jon Warren at the Overstreet booth commenting and laughing that these new guys were a joke and would never ever last.  Especially ironic since he eventually became their Price Guide Editor.  :facepalm:

In the end though, I guess Jon was right as Wizard certainly did fizzled out after being on top of the market for a short time, while Overstreet is still going strong and heading towards its 50th year of publication with no signs of folding up anytime soon.  (thumbsu

On 1/8/2019 at 12:42 AM, lou_fine said:

They must have printed off an unlimited quantity of this first issue as I remember getting my copy when they were handing them out for free at the SD Con.

I also still remember Jon Warren at the Overstreet booth commenting and laughing that these new guys were a joke and would never ever last.  Especially ironic since he eventually became their Price Guide Editor.  :facepalm:

In the end though, I guess Jon was right as Wizard certainly did fizzled out after being on top of the market for a short time, while Overstreet is still going strong and heading towards its 50th year of publication with no signs of folding up anytime soon.  (thumbsu

If I may, Wizard was published for twenty years.  Overstreet's Fan (Wizard knockoff), lasted all of two years.  As you wrote, the Overstreet Price Guide is still being published, but they weren't above getting on the wave that Wizard created, and Wizard lasted, literally, ten times longer! 

Imagine if Wizard returned to publishing today, as has been proposed as a quarterly magazine two years ago?

https://wizardworld.com/wizard/were-back-wizard-returning-wizpop-launching-and-hijinx-ensuing

I can see the blurb on the cover now!  "Have multiple covers gone too far?!" It would be on an issue available with multiple covers, natch! :wink: