• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Startling Terror Tales #11 (1952) black variant?

29 posts in this topic

I was looking up some values for Startling Terror Tales in Overstreet and I noticed they have a black variant for #11 listed - "believed to be a pressrun change" <-- what does that mean? Also has anyone ever seen this for sale or from the owner? I can't even find a picture of this. The fact that Overstreet only prices it $100 over the regular version just goes to show why no one looks at Overstreet when it comes to issues like this :eyeroll: ...

sta4.72a.jpg

Yes it has been posted here before, IIRC Andy (October) has a copy. Harder to find than the blue logo version but they are out there.

Edit to say the black just replaces the blue in the logo.

Edited by Jayman

Yes it has been posted here before, IIRC Andy (October) has a copy. Harder to find than the blue logo version but they are out there.

Edit to say the black just replaces the blue in the logo.

Yeah, I have a black logo copy. It's definitely not as common as the blue cover, but I have seen three or four around.

I will post my copy once I have had a chance to scan it.

There are three variations of STT 11 cover and this is the order I suspect they were produced:

Rose Coral with black around title logo and matte finish cover stock.

Rose Coral with blue around title logo and matte finish cover stock.

Tomato with blue around title logo and glossy cover stock.

There are three variations of STT 11 cover and this is the order I suspect they were produced:

Rose Coral with black around title logo and matte finish cover stock.

Rose Coral with blue around title logo and matte finish cover stock.

Tomato with blue around title logo and glossy cover stock.

Nice info! So I wonder if the glossy is more rare, then that would probably command more coin. Do you know if CGC notes either the black logo or glossy cover variants?

They note the black variant for sure. I am not sure about the glossy, since I didn't know it existed until 15 minutes ago!

As a hobby, we aren't very variant oriented. With books and stamps the hobbyists have long studied different editions and versions and documented them but for comics it's hit or miss, mostly miss. Cover stock changes and slight wording or color changes are only seldom record in Overstreet or the Grand Comics Database.

I'd say so. This is the first time I noticed the word Tales was even there!

This is why I think that the black border is the first version which was then corrected to blue. Since the black border has a matte finish I figure that the matte finish blue border was the second version. Then they ran out of that matte finish cover stock and so switched over to the glossy cover stock -- or it might have been an additional press run because the book sold out.

This is conjecture. Comics were about the cheapest things printed in large quantities and probably got the least respect from the printers. Any sequence is possible.

They note the black variant for sure. I am not sure about the glossy, since I didn't know it existed until 15 minutes ago!

As a hobby, we aren't very variant oriented. With books and stamps the hobbyists have long studied different editions and versions and documented them but for comics it's hit or miss, mostly miss. Cover stock changes and slight wording or color changes are only seldom record in Overstreet or the Grand Comics Database.

This is true for GA collectors, collecting books where color strikes and paper stock changed in the middle of the run. There may be preferred combinations, but you're right, they generally aren't broken out in terms of value.

On the other hand, copper and modern collectors can get obsessed with variants, even ones that are a result of an error for a part of the run.

This is true for GA collectors, collecting books where color strikes and paper stock changed in the middle of the run. There may be preferred combinations, but you're right, they generally aren't broken out in terms of value.

On the other hand, copper and modern collectors can get obsessed with variants, even ones that are a result of an error for a part of the run.

I meant to comment on that but got distracted by work. There's interest in price variants among the SA and early BA collectors as well but I think that has been mostly a 21st century movement.

I meant to comment on that but got distracted by work. There's interest in price variants among the SA and early BA collectors as well but I think that has been mostly a 21st century movement.

I wish those youngsters would get off my lawn. :preach: