• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Rosebud - Venom: Lethal Protector white cover
1 1

52 posts in this topic

So there's something about that issue to me. Lethal Protector, number 1. It's my Rosebud. It's a tangible thing I can actually hold, that existed on that special day for me. It's a physical, literal memory that I can look at, hold in my hand, and be taken back to those innocent days of my childhood. Not to harp on this, but I was diagnosed with leukemia a few years after. So Lethal Protector, holds a lot of emotions for me.

I had to share my scattershot thoughts about this. I'm still a little shocked I own a white cover. Out of all the comics I've ever bought in my collecting years, I never felt joy like I did last night after that purchase. It was like I was back in the comic store, in 1993, again. ...Not to be cheesy. I can definitely say, this is the last comic I will ever collect and I couldn't be more content.

Money value is one thing, and that's great if that's how you collect. Do your thing. But to me, for my money, the honest-to-god true value is what the comic means to you. Sure, seems obvious. But as someone who always chased the first appearances, keys, and whatnot, the old adage is true -- collect what you love. I learned that last night during my very last purchase.

Thanks for reading this if you made it this far. Good luck to all of you; I hope you all find your Rosebuds too.

So I guess "money value" is important after all and you CAN put a price tag on a Rosebud?

Edited by lightninglad

Hey everybody. I just saw these messages here now. I got a few PMs too from some of you which I'd like to reply to individually but right here at once seems the most efficient way.

As you may imagine, I never wanted to sell it and didnt really even intend to in the first place, hence the huge price point on ebay. I thought that would have been somewhat obvious. Suffice to say I paniced over the weekend and started listing all of my comics, a couple of which have since sold for cheap prices. My wife was let go from her position at a florist in NYC on Friday; so, down 50% of income, I freaked a bit...um, or quite a lot, as she could attest. I convinced myself that if it did sell, well, that could buffer us for a couple months comfortably as she searches for another job. So it would have been a fair trade-off to me for that, "RIP white cover forever though," that being the case.

Today however, I'm in a better more hopeful place today than I was this past weekend. Both the white and black covers mean so much to me (the black cover I own being memorable because I bought it raw and ungraded). So I'm going to keep those but I definitely have to get rid of everything else in the meantime. I mean, I was done collecting but I wasn't done admiring and enjoying my collection. So this still sucks but I don't have to purge it all which is definitely better than how I felt on Friday night. She and I discussed our options and I'm now optimistic about the next few weeks, months. Hope it isn't that long though. Hopefully I can report back soon with good news on the job front with her! Fingers crossed.

My original post in this thread still stands. I meant and still mean every damn word I wrote. Stay positive, everybody, in your own situations. Good things come when you least expect them to. That's what I'm focusing on.

Another friend of mine recently introduced me to an alternative reading of the end of Citizen Kane... That Kane KNEW where Rosebud was the whole time. But that didn't stop him from traveling the world and hoarding statuary. Or from going back to the place in his life that Rosebud represented in his final moments. In this reading, ownership of the object didn't matter.

I am a huge fan of Venom: Lethal Protector. One of my favorites from childhood.

I've always heard of the white cover error but have never seen a copy. What an amazing book! Wow! Thanks so much for sharing!

I replied to RadiantGraphix in a PM but figured I should update the thread too. My wife, m'lady:insane:, was able to get a new job. Not too long after I posted here, actually. I ended up selling pretty much my whole collection though. BUUUUUUT I kept the white cover:cloud9:. Was going to sell that last -- if I had to -- and, luckily, I didn't have to! It looks so great now since I put a nail through the case and hung it over my radiator! So long for now, guys 'n' gals!

:gossip:No, I didn't nail or hang the white cover over a radiator or anywhere else.

On 3/23/2016 at 11:53 AM, newshane said:

I am a huge fan of Venom: Lethal Protector. One of my favorites from childhood.

I've always heard of the white cover error but have never seen a copy. What an amazing book! Wow! Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks for reading!:foryou:

Edited by advancedpillow
changed wording