• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

So I jumped on e-bay to pre-order a copy of Dell'otto's ASM #800 and I honestly can't believe what they are going for and what people are willing to spend on it. It's a 1:25 ratio and one seller has them up for $119.99 with more than 10 copies available. Some have already sold and there are even active bids over $100. This kind of made me sad and it did so for a couple of reasons. The first being that I've started to accept the fact that the variant craze is hurting the collector that just wants to add a cool cover to his/her collection. I've been collecting variants for a while now and I've defended them since I can remember because it was affordable and fun for many (I understand not everyone). If you wanted to pre-order or buy a variant it wouldn't cost you 4 times the ratio. It used to feel like a choice right? If you wanted the variant cover because you liked it and you wanted to collect it then great, if you didn't then that was ok too. Now it doesn't feel like the collector has much of a choice because of such high prices. I'm lucky enough to have a great job and honestly I could throw down the cash and buy new (not rare or time tested) variants at these prices but it doesn't feel right or healthy both for the comic industry and one's personal finances (maybe a lot of people here are way way better off then I am but still). I know the topic of variants hurting the industry and whether it's sustainable or not has been discussed many times over in other threads but this is just crazy. The median hourly wage in the U.S. is about $22 and that's before taxes and other deductions. It would take someone a whole day of work at this wage to afford this ASM #800 variant. More for those whose wages are lower. The argument could be made that "hey no one is forced to buy it, if they can't afford it then they shouldn't buy it" but to me that's not how it should be or the mentality that as a community we should ever endorse. Comic collecting, even variants, shouldn't be increasingly out of reach for people. Before I go on, I AM NOT talking about comics or variants that appreciate over time and truly are rare. These I understand if you want it you have to be willing to pay for it and have the money.

All of this brings me to the second reason of why seeing the ASM #800 prices made me sad. If I were to buy it at these prices it kills my budget for other comics or variants. This is acceptable here and there but increasingly every month I'm seeing 3-4 variants for the same comic at unreasonable prices. Variety and choice is great for the consumer but there has to be a balance. I've heard and read that it's flippers and speculators that are fueling and keeping this store exclusive/multiple variant environment going but I find that hard to believe for something this size . Either the majority of comic collectors have well above six figure salaries with a reasonable mortgage and no debt or there are many who are buying every Dell'otto or Mattina variant and have huge credit card debt. Have any of you recently felt like f**k it I'm out and thought I have my retirement to fund or simply start saving more?

Anyways, I'm done with my rant. If any of you here have any thoughts I'd love to hear them :smile:

How much did the Venom 150 1:25 variant go for? Wasn't it going for around $100 at the time it came out? I can't remember, but I am just not real surprised at the pricing. I am not saying I like it, but just not surprised by it. I wish I had pre-ordered at Unknown. I saw the price and just hesitated briefly for some reason. When I went to order, they were gone. I got a couple of them for $85. I like the cover. Ill get them signed at some point Im sure.

The Venom 150 came down in price quite a bit after it came out, so I wonder what this one will do. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down some as well.

46 minutes ago, ct0318 said:

So I jumped on e-bay to pre-order a copy of Dell'otto's ASM #800 and I honestly can't believe what they are going for and what people are willing to spend on it. It's a 1:25 ratio and one seller has them up for $119.99 with more than 10 copies available. Some have already sold and there are even active bids over $100. This kind of made me sad and it did so for a couple of reasons. The first being that I've started to accept the fact that the variant craze is hurting the collector that just wants to add a cool cover to his/her collection. I've been collecting variants for a while now and I've defended them since I can remember because it was affordable and fun for many (I understand not everyone). If you wanted to pre-order or buy a variant it wouldn't cost you 4 times the ratio. It used to feel like a choice right? If you wanted the variant cover because you liked it and you wanted to collect it then great, if you didn't then that was ok too. Now it doesn't feel like the collector has much of a choice because of such high prices. I'm lucky enough to have a great job and honestly I could throw down the cash and buy new (not rare or time tested) variants at these prices but it doesn't feel right or healthy both for the comic industry and one's personal finances (maybe a lot of people here are way way better off then I am but still). I know the topic of variants hurting the industry and whether it's sustainable or not has been discussed many times over in other threads but this is just crazy. The median hourly wage in the U.S. is about $22 and that's before taxes and other deductions. It would take someone a whole day of work at this wage to afford this ASM #800 variant. More for those whose wages are lower. The argument could be made that "hey no one is forced to buy it, if they can't afford it then they shouldn't buy it" but to me that's not how it should be or the mentality that as a community we should ever endorse. Comic collecting, even variants, shouldn't be increasingly out of reach for people. Before I go on, I AM NOT talking about comics or variants that appreciate over time and truly are rare. These I understand if you want it you have to be willing to pay for it and have the money.

All of this brings me to the second reason of why seeing the ASM #800 prices made me sad. If I were to buy it at these prices it kills my budget for other comics or variants. This is acceptable here and there but increasingly every month I'm seeing 3-4 variants for the same comic at unreasonable prices. Variety and choice is great for the consumer but there has to be a balance. I've heard and read that it's flippers and speculators that are fueling and keeping this store exclusive/multiple variant environment going but I find that hard to believe for something this size . Either the majority of comic collectors have well above six figure salaries with a reasonable mortgage and no debt or there are many who are buying every Dell'otto or Mattina variant and have huge credit card debt. Have any of you recently felt like f**k it I'm out and thought I have my retirement to fund or simply start saving more?

Anyways, I'm done with my rant. If any of you here have any thoughts I'd love to hear them :smile:

it will be a 25 dollar book a year from now.

4 hours ago, ct0318 said:

The prices are crazy, even with the understanding it is a $8.00+ book. I was fortunate enough that I got two at $80.00 total from Scorpion Comics. I am not sure if they miscalculated the price, it was a flash sale or what, but hopefully they honor it as they are now charging $100.00.

I am guilty and feed into the Mattina and Dell Otto craze. I however use my sales from other books and from extra copies pre-ordered on Wednesday to help pay for them. But I agree, its getting to be a weekly occurrence that I almost can't keep up with. Luckily I am not a JSC or Granov fan, so I save some money....and the Spec Spider-Man 300 Hughes will be the last of his I buy. 4 copy sets are two much. Trade and Virgin I am okay with.

48 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

Yeah well ASM 800 Dell'otto virgin covers are hitting eBay . Check those prices out it's a 1:200 variant . It's messed up 

Is that right ?  1:200?   If that's the case a high buy in doesn't surprise me at all.  This will be his first 1:200 and it's ASM, so no-brainer for me. :takeit:

-J.

8 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Is that right ?  1:200?   If that's the case a high buy in doesn't surprise me at all.  This will be his first 1:200 and it's ASM, so no-brainer for me. :takeit:

-J.

I would if the 1:200 was unique and not just the virgin of the 1:25. 

35 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

So I officially purchased my first OA piece by my fav Gab Dell'Otto. I did a small deal with a guy in Italy for a lithograph and he offered me what I felt was a very cool piece from his collection. Prices on Dell'otto original art prices are sky high and getting Spiderman stuff adds that much more of a premium . It's a vintage piece from mid 2000s and it's a rare black suit drawing with a signature .I love it and can't wait to get it. It's worthy of this thread. Enjoy!

IMG_9589.PNG

Damn man that is nice.  I would love to own something like that.  

-J.

9 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Damn man that is nice.  I would love to own something like that.  

-J.

You should not have shown that. Now they're going to copy and paste it for the cover of 801 and charge at least 500. 

Jk that's cool

Edited by jason4

34 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

I'm on a bit of a roll as of late here are couple more additions to thread. Webs exclusive Portfolio that includes only 1/20 canvas prints made worldwide. It's a rare piece I'm glad I have and another small litho from Italy:

IMG_9566.JPG

IMG_9568.JPG

IMG_9575.JPG

IMG_9590.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

IMG_9595.JPG

IMG_9597.JPG

Very nice. That top, all red piece really blows my mind. Nobody does pissed off Spidey better than Dell'otto.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules