• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Will Dell’otto stay hot forever? No!  it’s a special book but like all artists they come and they go. That’s the tough part about knowing when to let go on a htf  book.

667 was hot before Dell'otto was hot.   In fact, the attention from the 667 is likely what made Dell'otto get hot in the first place.  

-J.

2 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

I doubt that my friend. Dell’otto career and art was superb from 2002 on so this book was 2011 piece. He considered it average and simple work from himself but marvel decided it would make good cover . That’s the story behind it nothing more. He’s done way better Spiderman work before that cover I’ve got prints to prove it. 

I love the book but it still doesn’t take away fact his popularity will fade like all other artists over time . I’m already seeing many more European and Asian artists that have that realistic style coming to Marvels covers. It’s a tough world these artists are a part of . Ask Todd McFarlane 

Has Todd's work and appreciation "faded"?

59 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

I doubt that my friend. Dell’otto career and art was superb from 2002 on so this book was 2011 piece. He considered it average and simple work from himself but marvel decided it would make good cover . That’s the story behind it nothing more. He’s done way better Spiderman work before that cover I’ve got prints to prove it. 

I love the book but it still doesn’t take away fact his popularity will fade like all other artists over time . I’m already seeing many more European and Asian artists that have that realistic style coming to Marvels covers. It’s a tough world these artists are a part of . Ask Todd McFarlane 

I'm not disputing that his work wasn't good for years prior to 2011. However 667 was only his second ASM work and it is the heat generated by that cover that brought him recognition by the greater masses.  That really isn't even debatable.  Whether or not that recognition would have come eventually regardless is unknown, but it did come because of the 667. He hangs banners of that image behind his table at signings (along with the image from Superman/Batman 7), so even he is well aware of what his signature piece is.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Subby1938 said:

Yes . Nobody wants Spawn they want vintage Spiderman art which doesn’t exist because he doesn’t sell it. Todd McFarlane is bigger name than Dell’otto he doesn’t have a single comic in 9.8 worth 4-10K US just saying . He left bigger mark on the characters history and created one of biggest villains in modern times in Venom. Dell’otto has done nothing close to tie into characters history he pumps out cover art. Big deal! I collect it because I like but it’s not only thing I’m into .

The point is without starting arguments I love ASM 667 book. It def didn’t make Dell’ottos career but I can guarantee although he will be remembered he will be replaced by the next big thing. It’s been that way for a long time with artists 

:screwy:

21 hours ago, Polirer said:

It was DCs fault BP worked hard for all of us to get the reprint to happen. The coupon should come from DC.

I ADMIT IM BIASED

I do think BP should offer something, even if small to customers. I get that it was DC's fault, but to customers, that doesn't matter. They bought from BP and it was delayed. Even if just 10% off their next Dell'Otto pre-order and/or free shipping or something like that.

9 hours ago, Polirer said:

I want to see the offers. Thanks Pete!!!

the low balls were a troll.

Oh, I hate those trolls. I decline those fast. I try to set minimums but sometimes they disappear from the auction. I hate the super lowball offers. P1sses me off.

41 minutes ago, Foley said:

Maybe you could make a separate thread for this "experiment"?

Sorry for bothering you.

I believe this to be relevant to this forum as it is a Dell’Otto book oft debated here.

few of us own it. And I’m sure they’d like to see what it’s value is.