• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Tell me what I'm missing;

Reprint of a reprint of a litho cost $75 and then another $100 for grading?

Yes...it is a reprint.  this is how panini does variants.

as for what it was originally used as ?  a litho ?  i dont think so. i could be wrong tho.  it was the cover to omega inc. no ?

if you really want to know....i will try to breakdown the numbers.........the book is $75 as these books were shipped from france (which isnt cheap) and is limited to only 300 copies. do a quick search for other panini variants. most notably the superman/batman # 7 and you will be surprised at what those panini variants command.  the $75 and $175 price points cover the book cost......to ship them to the USA.....and my time.  these numbers are to help off set the price of the copies i bought that will not even grade 9.2

this is also why i waited to get the books before i offered them for sale here as i wanted to make sure that i was able to get 9.8s from them.

as for what you are missing ?  nothing. save your money and buy what you love.  others feel differently about the book.

Edited by Kwan Chang

24 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

These are awesome.   (worship)

How did you manage to get this kind of inside track? 

-J. 

ive known gab for over 15 years.   i just never see him as he rarely comes over to the states. but i ended up going to italy....way closer to his home. :)

as for exactly how i got em ?  i cant say :banana:

but i did get a bunch of sigs by him too.   keep your eyes peeled !

12 hours ago, Kwan Chang said:

Yes...it is a reprint.  this is how panini does variants.

as for what it was originally used as ?  a litho ?  i dont think so. i could be wrong tho.  it was the cover to omega inc. no ?

if you really want to know....i will try to breakdown the numbers.........the book is $75 as these books were shipped from france (which isnt cheap) and is limited to only 300 copies. do a quick search for other panini variants. most notably the superman/batman # 7 and you will be surprised at what those panini variants command.  the $75 and $175 price points cover the book cost......to ship them to the USA.....and my time.  these numbers are to help off set the price of the copies i bought that will not even grade 9.2

this is also why i waited to get the books before i offered them for sale here as i wanted to make sure that i was able to get 9.8s from them.

as for what you are missing ?  nothing. save your money and buy what you love.  others feel differently about the book.

His Venom Inc Alpha is a known private commission that Marvel reprinted. Marvel has become infatuated with allowing reprints of existing commissions / private work. I assume the Spidey is a private commission reprint as well.

Pointing out probably the most valuable Panini reprint as to justify the cost of this is ridiculous. We all know Panini reprints US work and also prints new work exclusive to them. The recent GotG Panini by Dell Otto still sells for about the price it originally was. And it's a superior, original piece of work.

16 hours ago, Kwan Chang said:

IMG_7765.JPG

GAB with the actual drawing.

IMG_7766.JPG

IMG_7767.JPG

2 remarques that he did for me.  both should be 9.8 (thumbsu  (i hope)

IMG_7785.JPG

this was another sketch/commission he was working on.

IMG_7786.JPG

A B/W sketchcover. (hopefully 9.8 also)

How did you manage a sketch? Can you PM the cost? I’d be interested.

21 hours ago, obsidian00 said:

Fellow Boardie is offering this euro virgin for sale.  Only a few left in case you are interested.

spiderman_1otto.jpg

Are panini variants more valuable or more sought after than the originals?

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Pointing out probably the most valuable Panini reprint as to justify the cost of this is ridiculous.

That was my favorite part.

"You should buy this X-Men #1 (1991), just look at the prices for the other Marvel (Uncanny) X-Men #1; you should probably buy all of them."

7 hours ago, ygogolak said:

His Venom Inc Alpha is a known private commission that Marvel reprinted. Marvel has become infatuated with allowing reprints of existing commissions / private work.I  assume the Spidey is a private commission reprint as well.

Pointing out probably the most valuable Panini reprint as to justify the cost of this is ridiculous. We all know Panini reprints US work and also prints new work exclusive to them. The recent GotG Panini by Dell Otto still sells for about the price it originally was. And it's a superior, original piece of work. 

~~~~well good for the person who commissioned it.  i, myself do not recall what the cover was originally done for. 

as for marvel reusing gabs work ?  yes. they have been doing it a lot as of late.

you asked why it cost so much or were you missing something.  i was just breaking it down for you as to why i am charging what i am charging.  like you said before.  this may not be the book for you.

23 hours ago, Kwan Chang said:

IMG_7765.JPG

GAB with the actual drawing.

IMG_7766.JPG

IMG_7767.JPG

2 remarques that he did for me.  both should be 9.8 (thumbsu  (i hope)

IMG_7785.JPG

this was another sketch/commission he was working on.

IMG_7786.JPG

A B/W sketchcover. (hopefully 9.8 also)

Well that 797 Fan Expo Virgin has my fingerprints all over it so you'll probably won't get a 9.8 :baiting:

6 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Like everything else, it depends.  

Usually the reprints are nowhere near as valuable.   But there is that one Superman/Batman 7 comic that is very valuable. There are also a few Euro only released books by Dell'otto that are pretty pricey and fairly hard to find.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

8 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Like everything else, it depends.  

Usually the reprints are nowhere near as valuable.   But there is that one Superman/Batman 7 comic that is very valuable. There are also a few Euro only released books by Dell'otto that are pretty pricey and fairly hard to find.  

-J.

Got it. Thanks! 

20 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Sometimes they are sought because some of them are virgin covers which isolates and highlights the art without the usual trade dressing.  As a fan of Dell Otto I would always choose virgin but of course that doesn't necessarily equate to more valuable.

Also If you are a fan of signature series then there is obviously more negative space for a nice sig or remark.(thumbsu