• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, obsidian00 said:

That being said, what do you think is a realistic value for this book?  I know prices have been all over the place for this.

The comiclink sale last year was the only sale below expectations last year, but that had more to do with venue than anything else.

The two spine "creases" this book has could be mitigated to spine ticks with an experience presser.  I still think the book could be massaged up to a 9.2 or even a 9.4, there hasn't been a raw copy offered in this good of condition on Ebay in years.  

It could go for ~$8k.

-J.

6 minutes ago, obsidian00 said:

I would go lower especially if this book could grade as low as 8.5 as one speculated.  As a buyer you would absolutely have to leverage that comic link sale to your advantage. 

Prospective buyers can try to leverage all they want.  The seller has even greater leverage with the entirety of the remaining sales history of the book, including the 9.4 that sold for $13.5k after the outlier comiclink sale.  And two spine ticks don't drop books down to 8.5's.

Ultimately the seller is holding all the cards here on a book like this. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Prospective buyers can try to leverage all they want.  The seller has even greater leverage with the entirety of the remaining sales history of the book, including the 9.4 that sold for $13.5k after the outlier comiclink sale.  And two spine ticks don't drop books down to 8.5's.

Ultimately the seller is holding all the cards here on a book like this. 

-J.

All sales of this book are outliers. There are not enough copies being bought and sold on a consistent platform to say otherwise.

I agree with Jay. It's probably in that 7-8K range. It's king of the moderns in terms of value, but it's not traded often. Honestly, there are other "rare" variants that I would love to have for less money....

But I disagree with the ability for the book to be pressed to a 9.2/9.4 range. There is just too much wrong with the overall appearance of the book. I have had over 500 books pressed last year (my guy does it for free for me...) and I have developed a pretty good eye for what will and what won't come out....The fact that this is a modern book does hurt the overall grade potential. If this was a Silver or Golden age book with similar flaws, then sure....CGC grades harsher on books from Bronze to Moderns.....they might deny it, but the proof is in the books themselves.

Edited by comicartfan

Seriously guys, there are a new round of fake copies of these being circulated.  

This isn't the first batch that have been.  

Fastest way to tell the difference is the reds on the front cover.  They are always too dark.

The copy currently on Ebay is real.  Compare it to the three in Kwan's photo and make your own determinations:

Real ebay copy and kwan's copies: 

-J.

20190214_194413.jpg

20190214_194354.jpg

4 minutes ago, I like pie said:

lol

It's just the lighting in his pictures obviously. The lettering is darker as well.

No.  It isn't the lighting.  Neither picture is either under or over exposed, and certainly not enough to change the shade of red. Lol

Not a coincidence that every other fake copy has the same shade of red, regardless of the "light".

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules