• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Interesting. Still, from the pictures we've seen of these so far, there's no evidence they're fakes. Maybe @Kwan Chang can post more pics?

He has better pictures, but I'll let him post them himself if he so chooses.  Unfortunately, Kwan isn't the only boardie who has been passed one of these in recent days. :tonofbricks:

-J.

no problem guys. i get it.  these books are valuable.  its hard to believe a guy had 3 of them.  rare ?  yes.  impossible ?  nope.

yes i have pics that i took.....but since there is a question about authenticity................i will not post them until i hear back from cgc

so lets wait until cgc gets em in the mail next week.  i am fairly certain these are all legit.  but who knows?

for the people who showed concern ?  thank you..............i will be able to get my artwork back.  so no real worries there.

to answer all the PM's here.  ONLY when i get them back from cgc and they are 100% legit ?  yes. they will be for sale.

32 minutes ago, Kwan Chang said:

no problem guys. i get it.  these books are valuable.  its hard to believe a guy had 3 of them.  rare ?  yes.  impossible ?  nope.

yes i have pics that i took.....but since there is a question about authenticity................i will not post them until i hear back from cgc

so lets wait until cgc gets em in the mail next week.  i am fairly certain these are all legit.  but who knows?

for the people who showed concern ?  thank you..............i will be able to get my artwork back.  so no real worries there.

to answer all the PM's here.  ONLY when i get them back from cgc and they are 100% legit ?  yes. they will be for sale.

Good luck!

Has CGC ever spotted a counterfeit Modern? Ever reported on one? Not that I can recall. With current printing technology, it won't be as easy as spotting a Cerebus or Cry for Dawn.

The original fakes for ASM 667 had cardstock cover and bronze staples.

17 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Has CGC ever spotted a counterfeit Modern? Ever reported on one? Not that I can recall. With current printing technology, it won't be as easy as spotting a Cerebus or Cry for Dawn.

The original fakes for ASM 667 had cardstock cover and bronze staples.

Yes they have intercepted counterfeit moderns in the past.

The first gen 667 fakes had the thicker cardstock cover and the incorrect red inks (the fake ASM 678's had the wonky staples).  These newer (apparent) second gen fakes have an overly glossed cover stock with an "orange peel" texture (real copies have a smooth texture), along with the same incorrect shade of red inks.

-J.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

Yes they have intercepted counterfeit moderns in the past.

The first gen 667 fakes had the thicker cardstock cover and the incorrect red inks (the fake ASM 678's had the wonky staples).  These newer (apparent) second gen fakes have an overly glossed cover stock with an "orange peel" texture (real copies have a smooth texture), along with the same incorrect shade of red inks.

-J.

I have seen pictures of the counterfeit 667 with bronze staples.

How do you know they have intercepted counterfeits? Where was this information made public? Don't you think people should know this information?

Incorrect ink? Interesting. All comics from an entire, legit print run will have different consistencies based on ink distribution from beginning to end. 

If the court pleases, Exhibit A:

These were caught within a week of release. It was maybe a $15-20 book then. Not nearly enough value to try and fake and release onto the market. Purple common to a close to complete black background variation. These were manufactured like this and distributed through Diamond.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I have seen pictures of the counterfeit 667 with bronze staples.

How do you know they have intercepted counterfeits? Where was this information made public? Don't you think people should know this information?

Incorrect ink? Interesting. All comics from an entire, legit print run will have different consistencies based on ink distribution from beginning to end. 

CGC shares publicly whatever they see fit.  People are always free to just call and ask questions as well, I have always found them to be very courteous.   

The point about inks can be true on a large run, but this book did not have a large run, and EVERY fake has the same incorrect reds, the same shade on the link the the original fake copy has are on these copies, while every real one looks exactly the same (it's actually not just the reds that are wrong they are just the most noticeable).  

And of course, good luck on ever getting that cover/paper stock right.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

CGC shares publicly whatever they see fit.  People are always free to just call and ask questions as well, I have always found them to be very courteous.   

The point about inks can be true on a large run, but this book did not have a large run, and EVERY fake has the same incorrect reds while every real one looks exactly the same (it's actually not just the reds that are wrong they are just the most noticeable).  

And of course, good luck on ever getting that cover/paper stock exactly right.  

-J.

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Where did you see "every real one".

How many was it?

(Asking for a friend)

Just now, ygogolak said:

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Where did you see "every real one".

How many was it?

(Asking for a friend)

Uh... there are plenty of slabbed images on google images for you to peruse.  Only about 30-something legit copies have been slabbed in what, eight years (?), so yeah, a guy who pops up with four brand new looking copies (so far), distributing them raw (naturally) to boardies should probably be more of a red flag to you than the same mis-matching of inks that have already been observed before on other fakes. 

-J.

32 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Uh... there are plenty of slabbed images on google images for you to peruse.  Only about 30-something legit copies have been slabbed in what, eight years (?), so yeah, a guy who pops up with four brand new looking copies (so far), distributing them raw (naturally) to boardies should probably be more of a red flag to you than the same mis-matching of inks that have already been observed before on other fakes. 

-J.

A picture on the internet is pretty worthless. It can be manipulated, different lighting, different styles and quality of cameras.

As some have said including myself, the one on eBay now has bad lighting and does not relate to the picture of the 3 together posted with totally different lighting and image quality.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

A picture on the internet is pretty worthless. It can be manipulated, different lighting, different styles and quality of cameras.

As some have said including myself, the one on eBay now has bad lighting and does not relate to the picture of the 3 together posted with totally different lighting and image quality.

It's like you're deliberately sidestepping the actual central points to seize upon a nominal secondary issue that has already been addressed repeatedly.  (shrug)

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

It's like you're deliberately sidestepping the actual central points to seize upon a nominal secondary issue that has already been addressed repeatedly.  (shrug)

-J.

I have Word as well to "check synomym". No clue what you're getting at because you tried to use too many words that dont make sense together.

At any rate, I read something about side stepping which reminds me about your remark of seeing "every real one" of the variants for comparison. I subsequently responded (do I look real important now?)

No comment?

Edited by ygogolak

Posted up two recent pickups of Dell'Otto OA goodness...

Secret War #2, page 20 (Wolverine, Nick Fury, Black Widow) - https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1530504

X-Men Cover Prelim (Wolverine, Psylocke, Nightcrawler, Colossus) - https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1530497

Edited by exitmusicblue

2 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Posted up two recent pickups of Dell'Otto OA goodness...

Secret War #2, page 20 (Wolverine, Nick Fury, Black Widow) - https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1530504

X-Men Cover Prelim (Wolverine, Psylocke, Nightcrawler, Colossus) - https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1530497

Nice pick ups. :applause:

That Secret Wars is :cloud9:.

-J.