• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Apples and oranges.  

Do you know who owns the OA? (shrug)

-J.

I sure don't but it is possible to buy different pieces of Dell'Otto original artwork (1:1) at that type of money.  Value is always going to have some level of subjectivity to it but i'm not sure I get the allure (at 5K+) of this particular comic.  There are much better looking Dell'Otto covers out there and there's nothing special about this book regarding story or 1st appearances. Yes it is rare as a ratio variant.  Aren't there other rare ratio variants and isn't that the intentions of those type of books?  I don't see how in 5-10 years a ratio variant with nothing going for it other than rarity and a cool cover is going to stay at that price level.  Maybe i'll be wrong and I am in the minority since i'm not looking to spend that type of money on this book.  Let me say that I am a fan of him as an artist and he puts out some tremendous artwork although 20K for a modern variant book seems like people having more money than they know what to do with at least to me. Realistically, someone spending that type of money isn't going to care about what I have to say on it anyway. 2c

2 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

I sure don't but it is possible to buy different pieces of Dell'Otto original artwork (1:1) at that type of money.  Value is always going to have some level of subjectivity to it but i'm not sure I get the allure (at 5K+) of this particular comic.  There are much better looking Dell'Otto covers out there and there's nothing special about this book regarding story or 1st appearances. Yes it is rare as a ratio variant.  Aren't there other rare ratio variants and isn't that the intentions of those type of books?  I don't see how in 5-10 years a ratio variant with nothing going for it other than rarity and a cool cover is going to stay at that price level.  Maybe i'll be wrong and I am in the minority since i'm not looking to spend that type of money on this book.  Let me say that I am a fan of him as an artist and he puts out some tremendous artwork although 20K for a modern variant book seems like people having more money than they know what to do with at least to me. Realistically, someone spending that type of money isn't going to care about what I have to say on it anyway. 2c

People were saying that 5 years ago about this book.  People were saying that 10+ years ago about Batman 608RRP.  And yet here we are.  After 15 years of variants like those being produced during this Age of comics, it should surprise no one that a certain cream would rise to the top.

More recently - A book that was handed out at a convention and already has several hundred copies graded on the census in a manner of months with Mickey mouse on the cover is going for $1k.  Why? 

Why not. People like Mickey mouse.  

Incidentally, last I knew, Vincent at metro owned the OA of the Dell'otto 667, and he wanted $25k for it.  And that was 2-3 years ago when the last 9.8 slab of this book sold publicly for $10k.  Only one person can own an OA piece.  Only about 200 can own this comic.  But  their values are not relatively correlated however, because they are two different markets with different pricing/demand models. 

-J.

15 minutes ago, Lethal_Collector said:

So I didn't have a Corona to drink when I took these pics, but I did have the flu all week (yay?)  But god news, she arrived safe and sound the other day <3

xFhWIu.png

Jerome

:banana: BANANA!!!! CONGRATS!

EDIT: and I hope you feel better :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/13/2020 at 10:14 AM, Jaydogrules said:

People were saying that 5 years ago about this book.  People were saying that 10+ years ago about Batman 608RRP.  And yet here we are.  After 15 years of variants like those being produced during this Age of comics, it should surprise no one that a certain cream would rise to the top.

More recently - A book that was handed out at a convention and already has several hundred copies graded on the census in a manner of months with Mickey mouse on the cover is going for $1k.  Why? 

Why not. People like Mickey mouse.  

Incidentally, last I knew, Vincent at metro owned the OA of the Dell'otto 667, and he wanted $25k for it.  And that was 2-3 years ago when the last 9.8 slab of this book sold publicly for $10k.  Only one person can own an OA piece.  Only about 200 can own this comic.  But  their values are not relatively correlated however, because they are two different markets with different pricing/demand models. 

-J.

whoops didn't read the whole thread... my bad.