• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

People are putting up X-23 #1 Dell'ottos at crazy prices, I hope no one is buying them for that kind of money.

As for interior work, Dell'otto did the

I must have missed that one.

Are those the only interiors he's done ?

-J.

No, he also did the 2004 Secret War limited series.

(thumbs u

Seems to be covers only nowadays though.

-J.

Let's just say that no readers are crying over that. ;)

Yep its the same one that sold on the 14th for less than half the current asking price.

Yes the seller on the 14th totally whiffed it and now this seller is obviously looking for the quick flip.

-J.

How was the $800 dollar sale that occurred the same day as a Stan SS auction for $1050 a "total whiff"? That language implies that you believe the current ask is more legit than two sales from a couple weeks ago that were within spitting distance of each other if you factor in SS costs.

(shrug)

Because, if anything, a Stan Lee sig on this book is a detriment, raw copies are going for ~ $450, and this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-23-2010-3rd-Series-1D-CGC-9-8-0271504001-/361467874110?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=xbID1M6Roi55pQZ3XgzvrSjCRBk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

-J.

Personally I only collect X-23 books so I only have a copy of the X-23 #1 (raw) that I'm hoping will turn into a 9.8 in a few months. Fingers crossed.

I also have these original art commission covers, though, both CGC SS:

nmgsPPMs_1110130841331.jpg

rMiBQCZl_1810150710121.jpg

Wow, he's giving JSC a run for his money on those! Very nice.

Jerome

Dell'Otto is a better artist. :baiting:

lol

I'll have to agree with you. As much as I love JSC, Dell'Otto can create amazing stuff with any medium. So far I've only seen JSC on the standard pen/pencil. I would like to see what he can do on different mediums tho for sure hm

Jerome

Gabriele Dell'Otto has done several covers for Marvel's Star Wars comics:

starwars1lootcrate_zpsmn3rvem8.jpg

starwarsprincessleia1mhc_zpszfv1tmzz.jpgstarwarsprincessleia2mhc_zpsrqeqbrnw.jpg

starwarsprincessleia3mhc_zpsajjxy3gj.jpgstarwarsprincessleia4mhc_zpsey3b6suu.jpg

starwarsprincessleia5mhc_zps7jh8mxbd.jpg

starwarschewbacca1e_zpskla51t2i.jpg

starwarsvaderdown1yesteryearcomics_zpsyknkldd0.jpg

This thread inspired me to create a posting concerning Dell'Otto's Star Wars comic offerings:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2016/02/cover-artist-gabriele-dellotto.html

Great write up. :applause:

And agreed the Vader Down cover is fantastic.

-J.

Yep its the same one that sold on the 14th for less than half the current asking price.

Yes the seller on the 14th totally whiffed it and now this seller is obviously looking for the quick flip.

-J.

Shilly

Personally I only collect X-23 books so I only have a copy of the X-23 #1 (raw) that I'm hoping will turn into a 9.8 in a few months. Fingers crossed.

I also have these original art commission covers, though, both CGC SS:

nmgsPPMs_1110130841331.jpg

rMiBQCZl_1810150710121.jpg

Wow, he's giving JSC a run for his money on those! Very nice.

Jerome

Dell'Otto is a better artist. :baiting:

lol

I'll have to agree with you. As much as I love JSC, Dell'Otto can create amazing stuff with any medium. So far I've only seen JSC on the standard pen/pencil. I would like to see what he can do on different mediums tho for sure hm

Jerome

I think Dell'otto will give JSC a run for his money pretty soon.

Hello Gents. As promised, here is a little something I put together to explain what I feel is the best explanation yet for the unusual rarity of Dell'otto's signature piece- the ASM 667.

It contains links to official Marvel/Diamond/and Midtown sites that only have to do with "this" book, and not third party rumour mill sites (like bleedingcool for example). I am also trying to cite them chronologically so that it makes the most sense. A lot of this is based on some theories that were originally advanced by bababooey and ChuckGower in the original thread ASM 667 Appreciation Thread, so a shout out to them. Some of what they theorized is supported by my research.

The best (and most likely) explanation for the rarity of the book is in fact a combination of factors that I have not seen duplicated with any other book to date. My research has revealed that the Dell'Otto variant of ASM 667 was not originally intended to even be released by Marvel. Originally, the 667 was to have only one variant- the Fantastic Four 50th anniversary variant that was not incentive based. Retailers could essentially order as many copies of it as they liked, so long as they exceeded their order of ASM 658 by at least one copy. This is supported by this Diamond link that originally shows only the regular cover for the 667 being available to order along with the FF variant:

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/733?articleID=109968

This is further supported by the "Last Call" notification to retailers reminding them of the FOC ("Final Order Cut-off") of July 11, 2011, still only showing the regular cover for the 667 along with the FF variant, with no mention of the Dell'Otto:

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/733?articleID=110595

Flash forward a few days later, to July 11, 2011. On what was supposed to be the FOC for the ASM 667 (as well as all of the other books by multiple publishers to be distributed by Diamond for that period) Marvel issued the following release about the addition of 667 Dell'Otto, not at the eleventh hour, but quite literally at the 12th hour: This would also help explain why there were never any pre-orders offered for the book.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/16250/sneak_peek_gabrielle_dellotto_amazing_spider-man_667_variant

This book, unlike the FF variant was to be incentive based on a 1:100 ratio. As a result of this 12th hour addition, Diamond issued the following "product update"...

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/746?articleID=110712

..which extended the FOC by one week from July 11, 2011 to July 18, 2011 for just this one book.

It should be noted that to qualify for the Dell'Otto retailers had to order at least 100 copies of the regular cover. None of the orders that had already been placed by then for the FF variant would count towards those 100 copies.

Furthermore, if a retailer did not notice the last minute addition of the book, or bother to actually order it if they did, they would not have received any copies, even if they had already ordered or had a standing order of 100+ copies of ASM. I have heard from retailers who didn't even know the 667 Dell'otto existed until I started the original Appreciation Thread.

Keep in mind that Spidey sales were in the doldrums during this period, and the 667 was already following the massive 666 event which had already prompted nearly 150 retailers to increase their orders significantly in order to qualify for the custom variant covers (minimum 500 copies had to b ordered to qualify for that unique incentive). That event spiked ASM sales to over double its averages for the time, but also could have made smaller retailers who elected to participate less inclined to order heavy again on the next issue just to get yet another variant.

This, coupled with the last minute addition of the Dell'Otto, after the Last Call, the fact that the previously offered FF variants would not count toward the incentive, and that it was announced the very day of the original FOC certainly appears to have severely impacted the retailer participation to qualify for the Dell'Otto.

Speaking of the FF variant...that book is extremely common, as it looks like retailers liberally loaded up on it. It actually even appears more common than the regular cover.

This is demonstrated by Midtown's site, when the 667 was first released..

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Amazing+Spider%2DMan+Vol+2+_1142376

...notice how the price of the FF variant is actually less than the price for what was the "regular cover".

A quick gander at current ebay listings also shows more listings for the FF variant than the regular cover:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=amazing+spiderman+667&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=5&_udhi=10%2C000%2C000%2C00&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=91604&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200

Of the listings for the 667 that are not part of a lot, 18 of them are for the FF variant and only 9 are for the regular cover. This ratio is consistent with what is always available in the marketplace.

The first question one might ask themselves is "Well is this because the FF variant is more valuable?".

The answer to that is "no". Neither the regular cover or the FF variant is a particularly valuable book in a 9.8 slab.

According to GPA, since the release of the book there have been a total of 3 copies of the regular cover sold, with a 12 month average of $36.00.

Conversely, and also notable, there have been 25 slabs of the FF variant sold with a 12 month average of $41.00.

Due to the fact that neither book is particularly slab worthy at their current FMV, we see the expected wan amounts of slabbed copies on the census.

However, even there, the variant exists in greater numbers (40 slabs to 29 for the regular cover). Granted this is a small sampling size, however every single available, observable metric demonstrates that the variant accounts for a significant percentage of the issue's total print run.

This is further supported by Marvel's own actions in releasing the 667 Dell'Otto as a last minute (and again, after the FOC) enticement to retailers to increase their orders for the regular cover, but to no avail. The FF variant was already the cover of choice.

Even if every retailer noticed Marvel's 12th hour announcement for the Dell'Otto and decided that they wanted to order additional copies of the regular cover, or already had already ordered 100+ copies and decided to go back into their account to specifically order the Dell'otto, after the FOC, the most copies that would have been printed/distributed would have been about 700- still a tiny figure, in and of itself, for a mainstream title with a regular distribution.

But this would assume that every retailer who did order the regular cover, ordered enough batches of 100 to qualify (which didn't happen). I have received multiple PM's from numerous Diamond account holders over the past several months who have put the book at a "one case print run", meaning there would have been no more than 225 copies printed. This number is consistent with other sources that I have seen and has been the number floated around for the last four years or so. However, to further complicate matters, there have been some reports that a good chunk of the few copies that were printed suffered spine and back cover damage during printing/distribution. From a purely anecdotal standpoint I have seen a majority of the few raw copies offered on ebay with this exact kind of damage. The fact that many of the copies out there may not be in that great of shape may also be a factor in what is suppressing its census numbers (although that would not explain why a copy very rarely surfaces for sale).

Of course, we will never know the exact amount of copies that were printed and put into circulation. However this unusual and (not repeated?) combination of events and circumstances go a long way to explaining why there just aren't that many copies around. :blush: