• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

I'm actually a bit surprised that the JL vs SS Ultra Rare variant set is still available. Didn't the last set sell out in less than 15 minutes? This is going on an hour and half. If that's true, doesn't look good for after market value...id assume..could be wrong, never know

I can't speak for everyone but I'm tapped out after the past couple of months. This release came two days after another limited Dell Otto set for Venom #2 and another JL v SS limited set. Also this release is double the print run of the limited variant but at almost DOUBLE the price right out of the gate.

I'm actually a bit surprised that the JL vs SS Ultra Rare variant set is still available. Didn't the last set sell out in less than 15 minutes? This is going on an hour and half. If that's true, doesn't look good for after market value...id assume..could be wrong, never know

I can't speak for everyone but I'm tapped out after the past couple of months. This release came two days after another limited Dell Otto set for Venom #2 and another JL v SS limited set. Also this release is double the print run of the limited variant but at almost DOUBLE the price right out of the gate.

Which other JL v Squad set? The Midtown one or Mattina connecting from 7 ate 9? Thanks in advance.

I'm getting pretty burned out on variants myself. Marvel/DC really needs to put limits on exclusive variant editions or its going to turn off collectors soon. The price though is for all three versions. In that regard, it's actually cheaper than the Harley set was.

I missed out on the Harley when it was released. Was the cover art released when it went live? If so, that could be the reasoning behind why it's not sold out yet.

I'm getting pretty burned out on variants myself. Marvel/DC really needs to put limits on exclusive variant editions or its going to turn off collectors soon. The price though is for all three versions. In that regard, it's actually cheaper than the Harley set was.

I missed out on the Harley when it was released. Was the cover art released when it went live? If so, that could be the reasoning behind why it's not sold out yet.

This is not my thing personally. BUT if it was, I think I would be comfortable buying this one even without the cover art shown. The odds seem VERY high that Harley Quinn will be featured prominently, which almost certainly means there will be solid initial value.

Which other JL v Squad set? The Midtown one or Mattina connecting from 7 ate 9? Thanks in advance.

Yea meant the Mattina connecting. I know it's got a higher run than the Dell Otto venoms but it's two in two days..

Yea I guess I'm just comparing this three set to the price of the Venom #1 3 set I got for $49.99.

Honestly I think it's gonna be a cool cover and if it wasn't for my big spending since September I would have grabbed a set.

Yea meant the Mattina connecting. I know it's got a higher run than the Dell Otto venoms but it's two in two days..

Yea I guess I'm just comparing this three set to the price of the Venom #1 3 set I got for $49.99.

Honestly I think it's gonna be a cool cover and if it wasn't for my big spending since September I would have grabbed a set.

Thanks! Yea, I'm contemplating the Mattina set as well. Did you get the 4 book set?

You just made the best argument against it that and its unfinished. The cover might be awesome, but the price certainly tells you something as well.

The pink Harley variant had a couple things going for it over this one. First, we could see what it looked like. Second, it was for Harley Quinn #1. This is for a mini-series so not quite as attractive (I think?). I read a regular copy of the book and it isn't for me but she's an extremely popular character. Also, if I recall correctly you didn't need to buy the regular and b&w variants in order to get the rarest one. This time you do. So it's $80 instead of $40.

Now all that being said I like the fact that this book is going to feature Harley and Wonder Woman. I think that the Wonder Woman movie is going to be very successful and increase interest in WW across the board. Dell'Otto art with those two should be gorgeous. I can't see how you can lose money on this. The 1000 variant should easily pay for the $80 (+shipping) investment with the regular and b&w being gravy.

Edited by Batverse

I'm debating if I should pick a pink Harley up now or do you it's thing it will continue to decline in price?

I bet it'll start to stabilize soon. It went from $800 to about $350 for a 9.8. My guess is it won't go much lower than $300 for a 9.8. It was an insane pump and dump issue that's for sure, but it's still a beautiful piece.

Actually, this is inaccurate. More of supply vs. demand in the strictest sense this time around. Book was released, people gobbled it up. I held off thinking they may release more at NYCC, which they ultimately did. Quite the difference though between a pump/dump and this scenario.

How much do you want to bet the LaMole Campbell cover comes out at another con? I'm guessing Marvel has boxes of it to unleash at a future con. They released LaMole variants at Megacon last year, they may do it again.

These books are hyped before they are even released based solely on their print runs. Aspen plays fast and loose with print runs and suddenly nobody cares about the books. Perfect examples of pump and dump. Everyone trying to create another ASM 667 or X-23 1. That period of modern collecting is dead. These incentive variants aren't ignored any more and are no longer ordered even remotely close to what expected or actual readership numbers are. Those older variants had the opportunity to be passed over and incur damage while languishing in back issue bins, further diminishing their numbers.

There were not hundreds of "collectors" sitting at home on a weekday waiting for preorders to open up for the Hughes variant to LSH 23 or for those venom variant month covers as it is with these shop variants. These books are put up for pre-sale and upon release are either graded, perfectly stored away, or immediately resold. These books are not scarce, nor will they ever be rare in high grade. At some point a limited cover of Dell'otto Venom or Campbell Mary Jane is just not going to be special anymore and all those "these are for my pc, I swear" copies will end up on ebay and its a race to the bottom.

The secondary interest in these books is nothing more than the buyer convincing himself that he can find a bigger fool than himself to be left holding the bag. Look at what happened to all those Turner variants from the Aspen store. What are the sale prices looking like for those books now compared to what they were commanding pre-release? You mean you can buy a slabbed 9.8 copy of "one of the greatest Batman covers ever" for around 100 bucks? What happened to all that demand though? Rebirth is still a thing, why aren't these super rare variants trending up?

I'm debating if I should pick a pink Harley up now or do you it's thing it will continue to decline in price?

I bet it'll start to stabilize soon. It went from $800 to about $350 for a 9.8. My guess is it won't go much lower than $300 for a 9.8. It was an insane pump and dump issue that's for sure, but it's still a beautiful piece.

Actually, this is inaccurate. More of supply vs. demand in the strictest sense this time around. Book was released, people gobbled it up. I held off thinking they may release more at NYCC, which they ultimately did. Quite the difference though between a pump/dump and this scenario.

How much do you want to bet the LaMole Campbell cover comes out at another con? I'm guessing Marvel has boxes of it to unleash at a future con. They released LaMole variants at Megacon last year, they may do it again.

These books are hyped before they are even released based solely on their print runs. Aspen plays fast and loose with print runs and suddenly nobody cares about the books. Perfect examples of pump and dump. Everyone trying to create another ASM 667 or X-23 1. That period of modern collecting is dead. These incentive variants aren't ignored any more and are no longer ordered even remotely close to what expected or actual readership numbers are. Those older variants had the opportunity to be passed over and incur damage while languishing in back issue bins, further diminishing their numbers.

There were not hundreds of "collectors" sitting at home on a weekday waiting for preorders to open up for the Hughes variant to LSH 23 or for those venom variant month covers as it is with these shop variants. These books are put up for pre-sale and upon release are either graded, perfectly stored away, or immediately resold. These books are not scarce, nor will they ever be rare in high grade. At some point a limited cover of Dell'otto Venom or Campbell Mary Jane is just not going to be special anymore and all those "these are for my pc, I swear" copies will end up on ebay and its a race to the bottom.

The secondary interest in these books is nothing more than the buyer convincing himself that he can find a bigger fool than himself to be left holding the bag. Look at what happened to all those Turner variants from the Aspen store. What are the sale prices looking like for those books now compared to what they were commanding pre-release? You mean you can buy a slabbed 9.8 copy of "one of the greatest Batman covers ever" for around 100 bucks? What happened to all that demand though? Rebirth is still a thing, why aren't these super rare variants trending up?

+1

I love how they doubled the print runs, while nearly doubling the price, from the start.

The real kicker is the blurb that Bulletproof include; " we are holding 200 copies back for damages and to sell at conventions"

I read that as:

"The 1% to 3% of copies that get damaged enroute to customers will have 9.2/9.4 -ish replacement copies available.The other 175 copies we will hold back intil we can jack the price up on and sell raw...the 9.8 candidates will be getting fast tracked at CGC."

Yeah, expect Bulletproof to get the first to market prices for CGC 9.8's.

JL vs Suicide Squad Dell'Otto Ultra Rare Variant set

$100.00 $79.99

Add to Cart

Ultra Rare Variant limited to 1000 copies world wide. Ultra Rare variant will only be available as a set: Ultra rare, color and B&W. Goes on sale Nov.1st 2016 @ Noon Eastern Standard time

Ships in December 2016

***Strictly limited to 2 sets per customer****

"Not actual Art!" "Pre-Sell" (We will hold 200 copies for damages and to sell at conventions.)

You mean you can buy a slabbed 9.8 copy of "one of the greatest Batman covers ever" for around 100 bucks? What happened to all that demand though? Rebirth is still a thing, why aren't these super rare variants trending up?

I honestly don't have an answer to the question of why the Turner Batman cover isn't worth more. The print run of 1500 on the sketch cover isn't super rare but it isn't super common either. It's a great looking cover, in my opinion of course, so I would think that a lot of these will end up in the hands of either Batman or Turner collectors and not make it back into the market. Maybe the value will increase in time? Who knows. I was watching a 9.8 signature series (Finch/King) sketch cover / 9.8 regular cover no signatures combo auction tonight that only went for $230. Bit of a bummer for me as I got 3 sketches and 5 color covers signed by King and Finch in Baltimore and submitted them to CGC. I'm less a fan of the Turner All-Star Batman cover. That one doesn't really do it for me.