• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

We all know that I work for Bulletproof I apologize that there's some backlash, I was the one speaking with Normda. I don't see the difference between us printing a Bw and a color version. And now this cover. I think it's beautiful.

18 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

This type of behavior is pretty obviously a cash grab, and they'll keep doing it as long as people keep buying them - the fact that you have to order something bought 100% for the visual element in question sight-unseen.... come on guys, that is a sucker play.

It wasn't sight unseen. The image was released along with a day and time they would be for sale.

34 minutes ago, Polirer said:

We all know that I work for Bulletproof I apologize that there's some backlash, I was the one speaking with Normda. I don't see the difference between us printing a Bw and a color version. And now this cover. I think it's beautiful.

Being that you work for the company in question and would be out of a job if people stop buying from them, I'm surprised you have no issue here.

Just now, SquareChaos said:

Then I have a total misunderstanding of what people are complaining about.

They released a virgin cover, red background, limited run. And that was all that was released. Now they are coming back and releasing another limited cover with a blue background and flames. AND it can only be bought at the convention. What I'm gathering is people were told and thought they had the "limited" one and now it's not.
They did the same thing with the Harley Rebirth last year. Fool me once?

Just now, ygogolak said:

They released a virgin cover, red background, limited run. And that was all that was released. Now they are coming back and releasing another limited cover with a blue background and flames. AND it can only be bought at the convention. What I'm gathering is people were told and thought they had the "limited" one and now it's not.
They did the same thing with the Harley Rebirth last year. Fool me once?

Ah, gotcha. So people are ordering something thinking that is all there will be, but then here comes a new cover that is basically the same thing. I recall the unhappiness around the Iron Fist cover not long ago as well.

I guess the problem here may be that people are saying they don't like it, but the issue will likely still sell out right? Companies will listen to our wallets, but they're not going to be too interested in what our mouths say.

19 minutes ago, Polirer said:

Hey Polirer I'm new to CGC in general and didn't know that you work for Bulletproof, but It's nice to meet you and I respect the fact you're open to having a conversation about this issue. You're absolutely right, it's a beautiful cover. The issue at hand, at least with me, is the re-using of an existing cover and then simply doing a color scheme change and then slapping a $30-50? price tag on it. It was okay to do that when you guys FIRST released Metal #2 with the B&W, Color, and Virgin variants but to do this again and call it an exclusive cover is lazy and only adding to the increasing frustration over what I like to call variant fatigue and the perception that the foundation of comic collecting has shifted to collecting for a quick profit rather then the content and stories themselves.

However, I also understand that at the end of the day this is a business and everyone can choose whether they want to buy something or not  :) 

I apologize if I got a little philosophical at the end lol Lastly I'd like to say that I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever with my post my friend and I am a little jealous you work at Bulletproof. I'm sure you must have access to a lot of cool stuff.

56 minutes ago, Polirer said:

the frustration as I see it is the Red Limited/Exclusive Virgin is LESS limited or exlusive now... it feels like false advertising... Just my opinion.

12 minutes ago, ct0318 said:

Hey Polirer I'm new to CGC in general and didn't know that you work for Bulletproof, but It's nice to meet you and I respect the fact you're open to having a conversation about this issue. You're absolutely right, it's a beautiful cover. The issue at hand, at least with me, is the re-using of an existing cover and then simply doing a color scheme change and then slapping a $30-50? price tag on it. It was okay to do that when you guys FIRST released Metal #2 with the B&W, Color, and Virgin variants but to do this again and call it an exclusive cover is lazy and only adding to the increasing frustration over what I like to call variant fatigue and the perception that the foundation of comic collecting has shifted to collecting for a quick profit rather then the content and stories themselves.

However, I also understand that at the end of the day this is a business and everyone can choose whether they want to buy something or not  :) 

I apologize if I got a little philosophical at the end lol Lastly I'd like to say that I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever with my post my friend and I am a little jealous you work at Bulletproof. I'm sure you must have access to a lot of cool stuff.

Ct welcome to the boards, I'm totally willing to have a sensible conversation. I'm a big collector as well. I could understand being upset if we increased the print run of the virgin metal 2. That's what JSC and ASPen did. We're not doing that. Yes we've changed background and added the flames. And we are very happy with how it came out. The virgin sold out, so congrats to everyone who got one. We aren't doing this variant so others have chance, that's lame. We're doing this so we have a variant at the convention. We're hosting Snyder and Capullo and want to make sure we have enough special product for them to sign for their fans. 

The coolest stuff I have access to is previews of our variants before their released. Such as metal 4 by Dell'Otto.

16 minutes ago, ct0318 said:

I totally agree that adding some (pretty obviously photoshopped) flames to a heavily textured painted cover... unacceptable. It isn't quite as bad, but it reminds me of when they put literally cartoon claws on Wolverine.

Wolverine2.gif

4 minutes ago, SuperGrover said:

the frustration as I see it is the Red Limited/Exclusive Virgin is LESS limited or exlusive now... it feels like false advertising... Just my opinion.

Devil's advocate  - many seem not to mind when these covers are reprinted at a later date, or maybe as a different country variant. Is it about the unique printing, or about the image, or about the image being used too close together from a calendar perspective?

24 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I totally agree that adding some (pretty obviously photoshopped) flames to a heavily textured painted cover... unacceptable. It isn't quite as bad, but it reminds me of when they put literally cartoon claws on Wolverine.

Wolverine2.gif

Your entitled to your opinion.

1 minute ago, Polirer said:

Your entitled to your opinion.

What is your stance? You think the cover is good and provides good value? It seems hard to suggest someone put a lot of effort into slapping some flames onto the pre-existing cover. And to suggest they don't look cartoony... I would say that isn't even subjective, they objectively stand out as different from the rest of the work to my eye. Caveat still being that the resolution on the image is low.

29 minutes ago, SuperGrover said:

I'm sorry it feels that way, the virgin is exclusive to 950, we haven't increased the print run. Though people keep asking us to purchase it. That one is exclusive congrats to those of you who bought it, I purchased my copy. Now there's another different exclusive cover that I plan on buying and having Snyder, Capullo, and Dell'Otto signing and Cgc.

1 minute ago, SquareChaos said:

What is your stance? You think the cover is good and provides good value? It seems hard to suggest someone put a lot of effort into slapping some flames onto the pre-existing cover. And to suggest they don't look cartoony... I would say that isn't even subjective, they objectively stand out as different from the rest of the work to my eye. Caveat still being that the resolution on the image is low.

Perhaps I'm biased as the color choice on the background and the flames were my ideas.

3 minutes ago, Polirer said:

Ct welcome to the boards, I'm totally willing to have a sensible conversation. I'm a big collector as well. I could understand being upset if we increased the print run of the virgin metal 2. That's what JSC and ASPen did. We're not doing that. Yes we've changed background and added the flames. And we are very happy with how it came out. The virgin sold out, so congrats to everyone who got one. We aren't doing this variant so others have chance, that's lame. We're doing this so we have a variant at the convention. We're hosting Snyder and Capullo and want to make sure we have enough special product for them to sign for their fans. 

The coolest stuff I have access to is previews of our variants before their released. Such as metal 4 by Dell'Otto.

The decision to make, and to continue with the sale of this book is a direct slap in the face to everyone who has already ordered the other ones.

It's just another cash grab by Bulletproof to try and make as much money as possible, by doing as little as possible. 

Just now, Polirer said:

Perhaps I'm biased as the color choice on the background and the flames were my ideas.

I haven't said anything about the color, it just looks very different from the painting to my eye. They look a little cartoony, likely because of that. This would work better on a non-painted piece.

32 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Devil's advocate  - many seem not to mind when these covers are reprinted at a later date, or maybe as a different country variant. Is it about the unique printing, or about the image, or about the image being used too close together from a calendar perspective?

-I don't mind covers being reprinted at a later date because typically there is a clear announcement on the cover that it is not the original version and the intended use of the comic that has the reprinted cover is for accessibility to other readers. Best example is Walking Dead #1 The original cover goes for a couple of thousand and at a way later date Image published the Image Firsts #1 with the banner plastered along the side and the $1 sticker, the thing is ugly lol. As far as the different country variants pretty much the same thing. Best example is ASM #667 by none other than Mr. Dell'otto. The Italian edition has a huge 25th anniversary logo on it and a Spider-Man corner box, the thing is ugly lol.

-In the case of the Bulletproof variant. The cover was marketed as an "exclusive cover" with the intended use of creating hype, drawing buyers, and slapping a hefty price on them. The latest variant is not ugly like the covers I mentioned. Again it goes back to being lazy. It's just hard not to look at it as a cash grab.

36 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

1 minute ago, ct0318 said:

-I don't mind covers being reprinted at a later date because typically there is a clear announcement on the cover that it is not the original version and the intended use of the comic that has the reprinted cover is for accessibility to other readers. Best example is Walking Dead #1 The original cover goes for a couple of thousand and at a way later date Image published the Image Firsts #1 with the banner plastered along the side and the $1 sticker, the thing is ugly lol. As far as the different country variants pretty much the same thing. Best example is ASM #667 by none other than Mr. Dell'otto. The Italian edition has a huge 25th anniversary logo on it and a Spider-Man corner box, the thing is ugly lol.

-In the case of the Bulletproof variant. The cover was marketed as an "exclusive cover" with the intended use of creating hype, drawing buyers, and slapping a hefty price on them. The latest variant is not ugly like the covers I mentioned. Again it goes back to being lazy. It's just hard not to look at it as a cash grab.

WD.png

ASM.jpg