• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Typically this is not the case. You own the physical page / image, but reproduction rights almost always remain with the artist. If you wish to control the publication rights it is something you need to discuss up front. Some artists won't do it at all, some will charge you more, etc. This only covers unique, new commissions of course.

Okay so you basically only own the physical piece, not the intellectual property depicted on the piece, a nebulous value that would actually cost you more. 

Gotta love this hobby ! lol

-J.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Okay so you basically only own the physical piece, not the intellectual property depicted on the piece, a nebulous value that would actually cost you more. 

-J.

A published cover is typically worth a good deal more than an unpublished commission, so there is that.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Neal's Adams felt he was entitled to his work decades later and after multiple transactions of his work.

Is there a contract that says either own the rights?

For older artwork - prior to the time when the publishers returned physical ownership to the artists - there are still a lot of questions centering around ownership and chains of custody. Thankfully, as far as I know, this isn't the case with modern works. If you have the deep pockets to buy older OA though, it is probably a question that you should investigate.

12 hours ago, kevhtx said:

A couple I got in today from the signing that Im keeping for my PC. Still waiting on a bunch to come in.

IMG_5188.thumb.JPG.a8ce34a6fda041d371c9c1868173ad6a.JPGIMG_1007.thumb.JPG.5cb32ab95fe6a35741533b1d1bd68ae7.JPG

Nice ones! Was this from the NYComics mail-away? I subbed one for that signing as well!

12 hours ago, kevhtx said:

A couple I got in today from the signing that Im keeping for my PC. Still waiting on a bunch to come in.

IMG_5188.thumb.JPG.a8ce34a6fda041d371c9c1868173ad6a.JPGIMG_1007.thumb.JPG.5cb32ab95fe6a35741533b1d1bd68ae7.JPG

You know I was contemplating getting Snyder and Capullo and Paquette on mine before sending it or maybe after but it's just ridiculous now for what they are charging. Getting Dell'Otto only and that's that. In other news, awesome books! 

12 hours ago, ygogolak said:
15 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Neal's Adams felt he was entitled to his work decades later and after multiple transactions of his work.

Is there a contract that says either own the rights?

I don't know what language was specifically in the contracts or what he originally understood, but I think it became clear that legally he didn't hold the rights, which you can still to this day hear him gripe about if you talk to him at a show.  I think in the old days, it was generally understood without being SOOOOO explicit in the contracts.  But I think the explicit language in modern contracts is at least somewhat in response to Neal Adams pushing for rights.  Someone else I'm sure knows more than I do. 

Either way, I think by now we see that rarely if ever did any artist/creator actually legally hold the rights to their artwork or comic creations while they were working for or contracted to the major comic companies.  Obviously, there will always be some debate over the morality/ethics of those situations.  I think that Neal Adams (and some others of that era) began the fight in earnest, and the 'goal' was finally 'successfully' achieved with Image (but too late for the older artists).  Again, those are all my impressions, there's probably real facts to be had somewhere by someone.

* So in the event of anyone buying a piece of original art, you should ask about the 'rights', they may be partial, exclusive, or non-existent.

Edited by revat

27 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

Nice ones! Was this from the NYComics mail-away? I subbed one for that signing as well!

It was from Doug's in August. Still waiting on my Batman/Superman 7, GI Joe Civil War Muzzle Flash and a 7-8 others. I also sent my X-23 #1 in for a press (the 9.4) so can't wait to see if it jumps.

20 minutes ago, MDR123 said:

You know I was contemplating getting Snyder and Capullo and Paquette on mine before sending it or maybe after but it's just ridiculous now for what they are charging. Getting Dell'Otto only and that's that. In other news, awesome books! 

Thanks man, I got a Superman #50 and a Batman #1 with Tom King and Dell'Otto as well that I am waiting on. 

3 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Thanks man, I got a Superman #50 and a Batman #1 with Tom King and Dell'Otto as well that I am waiting on. 

Did you just get Dell'Otto on the Superman #50 or any other part of that creative team? I'm sending my Superman and Batman #50s for the next one so hopefully they come back looking awesome in a few months. 

9 minutes ago, MDR123 said:

Did you just get Dell'Otto on the Superman #50 or any other part of that creative team? I'm sending my Superman and Batman #50s for the next one so hopefully they come back looking awesome in a few months. 

Just Dell'Otto on the Superman 50, I think I looked for others on the creative team and didn't see any at the time I sent the book. Maybe some showed up at NYCC, but that was after I sent it in.