• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, new to the site. I have the chance to get my copy of ASM #667 variant by Mr. Gabrielle Dell'Otto signed and graded, but I don't know if I should just send it to get graded without being signed. I like the signature series and have multiple of them but for this comic I'm at a crossroad. Since I've had it, I haven't sent it in for grading because I've been paranoid of it getting lost, stolen, etc. but I think it's time I get it graded. Any opinions or what you would do in my situation would be appreciated :bigsmile:

1 hour ago, ct0318 said:

Hey everyone, new to the site. I have the chance to get my copy of ASM #667 variant by Mr. Gabrielle Dell'Otto signed and graded, but I don't know if I should just send it to get graded without being signed. I like the signature series and have multiple of them but for this comic I'm at a crossroad. Since I've had it, I haven't sent it in for grading because I've been paranoid of it getting lost, stolen, etc. but I think it's time I get it graded. Any opinions or what you would do in my situation would be appreciated :bigsmile:

As the owner of a graded 9.8, I definitely say get it graded to protect it. As far as sig. I'd say only do it if your handling it yourself.

3 hours ago, ct0318 said:

Hello and welcome to the boards !

And congrats on having a 667.  It's always interesting to find out how people came into their copies, would you mind sharing how/when you were able to acquire yours?  

Also, I'm not sure I would get that signed.  There may only be a few signed copies on the census right now, but there's only a few copies, period, on the census.  If you want a Dell'otto sig on something, I would personally choose a different, less expensive and more common book.

What condition is your copy in ? Many copies were produced with spine/rear cover damage. Feel free to post some scans of yours and the community can give you a very informal assessment of what it might grade out at if you should choose to send it in.  (thumbsu

-J.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

And congrats on having a 667.  It's always interesting to find out how people came into their copies, would you mind sharing how/when you were able to acquire yours?  

Also, I'm not sure I would get that signed.  There may only be a few signed copies on the census right now, but there's only a few copies, period, on the census.  If you want a Dell'otto sig on something, I would personally choose a different, less expensive and more common book.

What condition is your copy in ? Many copies were produced with spine/rear cover damage. Feel free to post some scans of yours and the community can give you a very informal assessment of what it might grade out at if you should choose to send it in.  (thumbsu

-J.

+1 (thumbsu

Went by the used book store and rescued some already 6.0-7.0 Avengers for $5, idk at least I didn't have to pay shipping lol 

I looked'em up was the 2nd print really supposed to be "scarce" like ebay seller's say?

either way I didn't see it there, when I started coughing due to the dusty place, I gave in and left hahaha good times :o 

new avengers 1 annual dell otto.jpg

Avengers Annual 1 Front cover dell otto.jpg

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Went by the used book store and rescued some already 6.0-7.0 Avengers for $5, idk at least I didn't have to pay shipping lol 

I looked'em up was the 2nd print really supposed to be "scarce" like ebay seller's say?

either way I didn't see it there, when I started coughing due to the dusty place, I gave in and left hahaha good times :o 

new avengers 1 annual dell otto.jpg

Avengers Annual 1 Front cover dell otto.jpg

Great pick ups, I've never seen these before either.  :applause:

Did Dell'otto do the interiors on those as well?

-J.

38 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Great pick ups, I've never seen these before either.  :applause:

Did Dell'otto do the interiors on those as well?

-J.

It looks as though he did when I peeked inside one of them...

56 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I peaked in side both now, and it appears as though Dell Otto did the interiors on both, with some cool looking "splash" type fight scenes that take up both pages....

That should be some nice eye candy when you read them.  He has only done the interiors on a handful of books as far as I know.   

-J.

9 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Thanks for the advice! I think I should get it graded without a sig too.

I pre-ordered a copy when it was first announced. I was a broke college student and had recently started collecting comics when I saw a preview for it and I just loved everything about the cover. At the time I think I had like $230 bucks to my name. The price on it was $100 but I had to have it. I bought it and it’s been the best $100 I’ve ever spent. I remember how happy and excited I was when it arrived in the mail. I barely made it through the month paying my bills and gas. At the time I didn’t really know much about the rarity of comics, speculating, and sometimes the cut throat aspect of collecting comics. I was just a kid that loved superheroes and comics. I try and keep that attitude to this day when it comes to collecting. 

I really think that mine is a 9.6 -9.8. It doesn’t have any spine/rear damage, the corners are sharp, and there’s no discoloration on the cover. I just don’t know how CGC decides between a 9.6 and a 9.8 

Here some pictures and I’d love to hear what you guys think.

8767A394-80C2-45CA-A4CE-CDD3EBA658C5.jpeg

9A18B238-AF64-431A-82C9-517225BF3AE1.jpeg

D20DDA11-15D6-4176-BDA8-E9B56573FE59.jpeg

1C781823-CF77-4956-A4BA-5ADD86117F07.jpeg

2EFCF1DC-137E-4EB2-AA0F-1C86777473CD.jpeg

Thanks for the story, I'm jealous you got in at the ground floor I got in at the top, we'll we're both in the club! From the pics it looks like a 9.8, would need pics of the back though as well.

since it's raw, I know Jay and I disagree on this I'd get Stan Lee and Dell'Otto to sign. Again though handle the book yourself I don't think I could trust a facilitator with this book. 

1 hour ago, ct0318 said:

Thanks for the advice! I think I should get it graded without a sig too.

I pre-ordered a copy when it was first announced. I was a broke college student and had recently started collecting comics when I saw a preview for it and I just loved everything about the cover. At the time I think I had like $230 bucks to my name. The price on it was $100 but I had to have it. I bought it and it’s been the best $100 I’ve ever spent. I remember how happy and excited I was when it arrived in the mail. I barely made it through the month paying my bills and gas. At the time I didn’t really know much about the rarity of comics, speculating, and sometimes the cut throat aspect of collecting comics. I was just a kid that loved superheroes and comics. I try and keep that attitude to this day when it comes to collecting. 

I really think that mine is a 9.6 -9.8. It doesn’t have any spine/rear damage, the corners are sharp, and there’s no discoloration on the cover. I just don’t know how CGC decides between a 9.6 and a 9.8 

Here some pictures and I’d love to hear what you guys think.

8767A394-80C2-45CA-A4CE-CDD3EBA658C5.jpeg

9A18B238-AF64-431A-82C9-517225BF3AE1.jpeg

D20DDA11-15D6-4176-BDA8-E9B56573FE59.jpeg

1C781823-CF77-4956-A4BA-5ADD86117F07.jpeg

2EFCF1DC-137E-4EB2-AA0F-1C86777473CD.jpeg

Good Lord man that is a pretty book right there.  From the front that certainly looks like a strong 9.8 candidate to me. But like my man Polirer said, would have to see the back since that's where the flaws of this book almost always are (including scratches and colour rubs in the dark blue areas).  But the spine looks super clean.  And damn, you're an original owner on a measly $100 investment back when you were in college?  That's probably a better return on your initial investment than some people's actual college education during the same time frame. lol

Agreed though, love the book.  I had to get mine from a Canadian dealer and paid a fair amount above  $100 for the privilege.  But it's definitely in my top 5 favourite books in my collection, and I'm still shocked at how infrequently these things surface (especially a nice looking raw copy).

Guess I should update the "club" list now. :)

But for god's sake, would you at least put that thing in a top loader.  :baiting:

-J.

I also do not see any obvious flaws on the parts of the book we can see - but be aware that CGC looks inside as well as at the front and back covers. Having said that, your book looks like a strong candidate.

As for signatures or no signatures, that is a personal decision. I'm a blue universal label guy myself, I only have a handful of yellow labels.

39 minutes ago, DTM700 said:

Grats @ct0318 on the book! You had great taste in college! ;)

Personally I would not get it signed due to the book's caliber. I would aim for a cheaper book to get signed. But, it is your book,  so do what makes you happy. Below is one of my favorite Dell'Otto covers signed. 

Superman-Batman-7-CGC pic 3.JPG

Very nice book you have there ! :applause:

-J.

@Jaydogrules Haha I definitely have it in a top loader and in a secure file cabinet in my office. I just took it out to take pictures. I'd love to post pictures of the back but I don't want to take it out of the bag. I've only ever taken it out once and that was to check for damage. Once I get it graded I'll post a picture. 

And I feel honored to be part "Club" :)