• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

That was 7 years ago and no longer relevant.

It is absolutely relevant.  Because there are certain people who swore up and down that Marvel would "NEVER" allow such a small amount of copies to be printed even then.  

And that was a LIE.  

Moral of story- Marvel can and will and does allow micro print runs if and whenever they want to. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

26 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

It is absolutely relevant.  Because there are certain people who swore up and down that Marvel would "NEVER" allow such a small amount of copies to be printed even then.  

And that was a LIE.  

Moral of story- Marvel can and will and does allow micro print runs if and whenever they want to.  

-J.

They use store variants to pump their numbers. You don't think having 100 retailers committ to 500+ copies achieved their goal?

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

I refer you back to the moral of the story.  

-J.

23 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Is this true? Didnt know that. I’ve seen a few print runs recently listing variants as low as 500 and 600. 

So this means their just tossing out and destroying the extra books to meet this number? Such a waste..

This was the original question. Your response of a variant seven years ago of a Marvel solicited store variant is not relevant.

As I stated, I need more information from rogue to formulate a response. Because, as you know, there are ordering tiers. You can still have a Marvel variant cover with 500 copies. So, actually your response is incorrect that Marvel does not print 500 anymore.

Edited by ygogolak

One tick is trying to creep up :)

I dislike variants that are hard to buy in stores... the less mailing away the better meh but at least now I have the set that I wanted!

20180120_135728.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/19/2018 at 12:39 PM, rogue14 said:

Is this true? Didnt know that. I’ve seen a few print runs recently listing variants as low as 500 and 600. 

So this means their just tossing out and destroying the extra books to meet this number? Such a waste..

No. You have to order 3000 copies to have a store variant with Marvel or DC.

You can break that print run up, which is what most retailers do, that's why you see sketch covers, partial sketch covers, and virgin sketch covers.

Usually the retailer has to pay for a "plate change" which in my experience is around $150 to $200.

And BTW how can we even bring up ASM 666 as a comparison? ASM 666 was one of the first Marvel offered retailer exclusive covers to all retailers and it wasn't like you could say "Hey I want to have Joe Blow do the artwork for my cover and I want it to be a ASM 300 homage and have 500 copies" Just look up how many copies of the Midtown Comics ASM 666 variant were produced - For the 500 print run variant,  you were only allowed to give them a picture where every cover followed one of two specific templates.

Edited by Jimmy Linguini

Spoiler
On 2018-01-18 at 6:24 PM, kevhtx said:

I got some books in today. I requested gold, but you don't always get what you want or they didnt pass along the request. Still turned out good I think. At some point, I might get a couple more sigs on a couple and try to get 9.8s. I thought all of these were 9.8 candidates and none had graders notes, so I think they still could make it. I got a couple more that are dupes too. Didnt post here.

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

Those are some super sweet books! I agree with you, it would've been extra sweet to get gold on a couple of those covers, but still a really nice set of books! 

Edited by CKinTO
Putting comments outside the Spoiler tag!

12 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

You can break that print run up, which is what most retailers do, that's why you see sketch covers, partial sketch covers, and virgin sketch covers.

Usually the retailer has to pay for a "plate change" which in my experience is around $150 to $200.

And BTW how can we even bring up ASM 666 as a comparison? ASM 666 was one of the first Marvel offered retailer exclusive covers to all retailers and it wasn't like you could say "Hey I want to have Joe Blow do the artwork for my cover and I want it to be a ASM 300 homage and have 500 copies" Just look up how many copies of the Midtown Comics ASM 666 variant were produced - For the 500 print run variant,  you were only allowed to give them a picture where every cover followed one of two specific templates.

:popcorn:

17 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Exactly.  Plate changes aren't expensive.  If a retailer wanted only 500 copies of a particular cover generated, or just 50 copies, they could get it, as long as they are willing to pay for the plate change, and (for now) order 2500 copies with other covers. Of course that has not always been the minimum ordering threshold, and may not necessarily be in the future.     

Thanks for clarification jimmy.  (thumbsu

-J.

Every Marvel / DC comics book has comp copies. That means that at least 50 to 100 copies are printed for EVERY cover and are given to staff. Most of these copies end up on the secondary market.

So No. There are no 50 print run variants.

Edited by Jimmy Linguini

On 1/21/2018 at 11:43 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Exactly.  Plate changes aren't expensive.  If a retailer wanted only 500 copies of a particular cover generated, or just 50 copies, they could get it, as long as they are willing to pay for the plate change, and (for now) order 2500 copies with other covers. Of course that has not always been the minimum ordering threshold, and may not necessarily be in the future.     

Thanks for clarification jimmy.  (thumbsu

-J.

Got it. This makes a lot more sense.

My original post was just a general question as I’m unfamiliar with the behind the scenes process for print runs and he like. 

This has been extremely informative and would explain why some store variants are limited to 500, 600, etc.

Still think it’s a huge waste to destroy books to meet a print run though. Might as well pay the “plate change” fee instead and make the money back in sales.