• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, SquareChaos said:
22 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I get the gist of what you're saying. When you say things like "he should raise his rates or take less work" the underlyingintent of your statements are quite clear, to the point where I felt compelled to point out some other recent work that is the exact opposite of what you described  (not that I mind seeing my favourite characters features prominently with little background noise every once in a while).

-J.

-J.

You clearly don't get the gist of what I'm saying, you once again left off part of what I said and only quote the part you want to pay attention to... like you nearly always do. I also stated it is possible that it may be the progression of his style - as in maybe he is doing it on purpose, not as a way to more quickly do more covers - yet you oddly left that part out. Probably because it doesn't fit your narrative  :screwy:

I just thought SC was just some dude giving some criticism and opinion of some art being discussed, and then giving some theories or suggestions related to that opinion.  I think that's pretty common when talking about art.  Which is very different than just coming into a thread saying 'you guys are all dummies, this sucks and is not even worth discussing'

Like when someone talks about how much more they love Picasso's blue period vs his later Cubist stuff, or vice versa, then tries to relate what's going on in Picasso's life to the art of that period, whether the impact is emotional or practical or whatever.  They might be wrong or right, but certainly it can be discussed without casting negative aspersions about the commenter's personality traits or deliberately ignoring context. 

Edited by revat

38 minutes ago, revat said:

I just thought SC was just some dude giving some criticism and opinion of some art being discussed, and then giving some theories or suggestions related to that opinion.  I think that's pretty common when talking about art.  Which is very different than just coming into a thread saying 'you guys are all dummies, this sucks and is not even worth discussing'

Like when someone talks about how much more they love Picasso's blue period vs his later Cubist stuff, or vice versa, then tries to relate what's going on in Picasso's life to the art of that period, whether the impact is emotional or practical or whatever.  They might be wrong or right, but certainly it can be discussed without casting negative aspersions about the commenter's personality traits or deliberately ignoring context. 

Frankly, if I were going to hate on Dell'Otto I wouldn't be in this thread. There are threads on this forum for artists that produce work that I typically dislike - I don't post there. I certainly wouldn't have sought out and shared so many Dell'Otto images in this thread if I didn't generally appreciate his work. 

It is illuminating to see how some people react to what should be a normal moment of conversation about comic art :screwy:

6 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Frankly, if I were going to hate on Dell'Otto I wouldn't be in this thread. There are threads on this forum for artists that produce work that I typically dislike - I don't post there. I certainly wouldn't have sought out and shared so many Dell'Otto images in this thread if I didn't generally appreciate his work. 

It is illuminating to see how some people react to what should be a normal moment of conversation about comic art :screwy:

:foryou:

-J.

On 6/27/2017 at 1:41 PM, Michael Lamm said:

They did this for the Harley Quinn Dell Otto last year as well. Love it when they offer the virgin separately. I'm very tempted to get the SS series as it would be fantastic 

That's because it is really a 2nd print. They released it after the originals sold out.

That Metal CGC SS might sell out quick just because buying raw won't make it for those of us who need to send books for DScott's august signing and the London super con signings soon after its release. Decisions, Decisions. hm

Edited by kevhtx

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Funny stuff.  Don't buy much new stuff but if I did Dell'Otto would be on the top of my list.  Certainly would love a piece of original art.

Amen to that.  Still looking for an ideal Spidey related piece that won't cost two arms and the a leg.   :tonofbricks:

-J.

I got a couple raw virgin variants with the intent of getting them signed by Gabriele sometime in the fall.  I rather prep these myself then having him decide where to sign it.  I've seen a bunch of his books signed across the body of a character rather than using the available negative space.  In this case somewhere above the ax would be perfect (thumbsu

If there was an ultimate limited signed SS, then that's a whole different story..

12 hours ago, Dwitkin82 said:

Wish he'd show some Dell'Otto love towards Superman......there's only the 2-covers Im aware of right....Trinity and the #50 Variant?

The JL one has the trinity on it but is there also a Trinity one? I need it. 

Saw this on CAF and figured you guys would appreciate it if you haven't checked it out.  It's not my art (so wish it was!!).  I know most are familiar with the published work, but what I thought was interesting is the change Marvel made to the original painting, replacing Zombie Spider Man on the far right.

Spiderverse original banner and connecting covers.  Since the image is so large, here is the link instead of copying the picture.  

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1400857

Edited by Sooners151

11 minutes ago, Sooners151 said:

Saw this on CAF and figured you guys would appreciate it if you haven't checked it out.  It's not my art (so wish it was!!).  I know most are familiar with the published work, but what I thought was interesting is the change Marvel made to the original painting, replacing Zombie Spider Man on the far right.

Spiderverse original banner and connecting covers.  Since the image is so large, here is the link instead of copying the picture.  

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1400857

Man I would love to own that.  

Thank you for sharing.  

-J.

49 minutes ago, Hickok8AA8 said:

Rough dimensions are 66x10!! :whatthe:

Do we even wanna speculate a ballpark figure on current value? $35-45k? (I know nothing about OA, I'm poor)

I'm wondering too.  I would definitely be interested in buying it.  I like it better with the zombie Spider-Man too. 

-J.