• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, jason4 said:

How do I get one here take my money

One of his better ones it’s exclusive to the Frankie comics group so comic mint 

sad lemon

7 ate 9

on sale next Sunday would be my guest

32 minutes ago, Polirer said:

Who cares are you that moronic termite troll that basic probability must be spoon fed to you? It proves that I’m a true Dell’Otto collector and fan. I even have a painted sketch being completed as we speak by Dell’Otto. Which Dell’Otto books do you have? My guess is zero.

Here I’ll spoon feed you 

three sites that show the rarity of the book.

1. CBSI (states in various articles it’s rare and hard to find this link says 700 were printed still a low number) https://comicbookinvest.com/2016/01/12/gabriele-dellotto-marvel-variants/

2. Recalled comics states as little as 200 http://www.recalledcomics.com/AmazingSpider-Man667DellOtto.php

3. CGC census 32 overall graded 14 blue label 9.8 2 yellow label 9.8

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Amazing+Spider-Man&issue=667&publisher=Marvel+Comics&year=2011&issuedate=10%2F11

so if it’s not that rare as we claim but as all three sites show and 9.6 sales have been $8k on eBay and $10k for 9.8 

then why haven’t more sales occurred or why haven’t more been slabbed?

now go move on from this house.

What does being a fan of an artist have to do with the discussion of the rarity of a particular variant? 

None of those sites are proof of anything. Where does the information posted on those sites come from? They don't list sources. Its just random postings on the internet, it means nothing if it isn't sourced.

I can't speak specifically about recalledcomics, but that link just has some words where the author guesses at a 200 print run. Just words on a page. Not even any claims of damage to the print run.

In regards to CBSI the owner himself is on record saying he has no editorial control over what gets written in the articles for his site. That article in particular that you linked is written by an unsavory character who admits he contacts eBay sellers regarding completed sales to undercut auction winners and push them out by offering a higher price. Why believe the words of someone who does that? His estimate for incentive variant print runs is based off of nothing more than dividing a comichron data point by the variant ratio. Hell, he even gives a figure of over 700 for the print run. With that number being over 3x your estimate of around 200 copies, why are you even listing them as proof of the book's rarity? 

As for the census, yes the numbers are low. But what percentage of comic collectors use professional grading services? Could you even ballpark it? And for that specific issue? Good luck. Those 32 slabbed copies could be a third of the total print run...or they could a tenth of it...or a thirtieth. Nobody knows. 

I've already stated that the anecdotal evidence points to this variant having a low print run, even abnormally low. But to go so far as to say that you can nail it down to an exact number of even estimate that it is below 200 or 225 is ridiculous. It is an incentive variant that was published before incentive variants were THE thing. It is very likely a significant number of these books are out there raw, sitting in collections, unknown to the census. The high prices seen on the secondary market aren't bringing tons of copies out of the woodwork because get this, those copies were originally purchased by people with no knowledge or interest in the secondary market. They were actual comic collectors, not people who buy the book on Wednesday to sell it on Thursday.

Do you know any of these things? Of course you don't. Your ranting is nothing more than an emotional reaction to an investment that was made based off of what is more than likely bad information. 

1 hour ago, Drill423 said:

Like can you all give your measuring of your Dell Otto ASM 667 e-peens a rest and get back to the actual purpose of this thread?  New cover coming soon (Spectacular Spider-Man 300)

3A89618A-B891-47CE-85AC-7ED7F143C062.jpeg

This thread is a book/market evaluation thread disguised as an artist appreciation thread. Values of Dell'otto's work were introduced by the topic creator in the first post of the thread. Since he opened the door, any and all discussion of market pricing for Dell'otto's work, and topics related to it, are up for debate here. 

2 hours ago, Drill423 said:

Like can you all give your measuring of your Dell Otto ASM 667 e-peens a rest and get back to the actual purpose of this thread?  New cover coming soon (Spectacular Spider-Man 300)

3A89618A-B891-47CE-85AC-7ED7F143C062.jpeg

Another beauty from Dell Otto. Will definitely be tempted to pick this up. He definitely ranks in my top 5 artists currently working in the industry. He has definitely found a really great balance between the comic side and the realism side. That's also one of my favorite aspects of Lucio Parrillo's work. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

20 minutes ago, Polirer said:

You my termite friend are the emotional one. You mud sling accusations but don’t share proof of anything to back them. Rather you put the honus on Jay and I to defend our case. 

How about you prove yours?

prove all your arguments...go ahead... we’re waiting to see your proof as to why this book shouldn’t be a hot Dell’Otto to chase. 

Share Facts with proof not your opinions share sites share documents go on

What do you need proven to you, exactly?

You assert a specific print run due to A) what you read on the internet and b) visual confirmation of the invoice.  

Show. me. the. invoice.

It was never stated that "this book shouldn't be a hot Dell'Otto to chase". Your claims of a known, specific print run were challenged, that is all. You've said you've seen the invoice that confirms your claims, but can't provide it, so...

24 minutes ago, Polirer said:

If someone asks where to get it.. we help each other in here to acquire it.

just leave termite troll

Private messages exist for a reason.

You can advertise publicly and to a wide audience in the appropriate sub forum. Not repeatedly in this "artist appreciation" thread.

9 hours ago, Polirer said:

One of his better ones it’s exclusive to the Frankie comics group so comic mint 

sad lemon

7 ate 9

on sale next Sunday would be my guest

Thank you. Not sure why people hating on you. Other than ebay I rarely buy books anywhere so this was helpful info. 

15 hours ago, darkstar said:

What does being a fan of an artist have to do with the discussion of the rarity of a particular variant? 

None of those sites are proof of anything. Where does the information posted on those sites come from? They don't list sources. Its just random postings on the internet, it means nothing if it isn't sourced.

I can't speak specifically about recalledcomics, but that link just has some words where the author guesses at a 200 print run. Just words on a page. Not even any claims of damage to the print run.

In regards to CBSI the owner himself is on record saying he has no editorial control over what gets written in the articles for his site. That article in particular that you linked is written by an unsavory character who admits he contacts eBay sellers regarding completed sales to undercut auction winners and push them out by offering a higher price. Why believe the words of someone who does that? His estimate for incentive variant print runs is based off of nothing more than dividing a comichron data point by the variant ratio. Hell, he even gives a figure of over 700 for the print run. With that number being over 3x your estimate of around 200 copies, why are you even listing them as proof of the book's rarity? 

As for the census, yes the numbers are low. But what percentage of comic collectors use professional grading services? Could you even ballpark it? And for that specific issue? Good luck. Those 32 slabbed copies could be a third of the total print run...or they could a tenth of it...or a thirtieth. Nobody knows. 

I've already stated that the anecdotal evidence points to this variant having a low print run, even abnormally low. But to go so far as to say that you can nail it down to an exact number of even estimate that it is below 200 or 225 is ridiculous. It is an incentive variant that was published before incentive variants were THE thing. It is very likely a significant number of these books are out there raw, sitting in collections, unknown to the census. The high prices seen on the secondary market aren't bringing tons of copies out of the woodwork because get this, those copies were originally purchased by people with no knowledge or interest in the secondary market. They were actual comic collectors, not people who buy the book on Wednesday to sell it on Thursday.

Do you know any of these things? Of course you don't. Your ranting is nothing more than an emotional reaction to an investment that was made based off of what is more than likely bad information.

Good post, but why waste effort responding rationally to a clown who is clearly going hard for the Dumbest Poster of the Year Ever award.

21 hours ago, darkstar said:

This statement is as mind bogglingly vapid now as it was when you said something similar under one of your other boardie names 2 1/2 years ago.  lol 

So I will make the same response as I did then. 

The 667 Dell'otto was a one case pack shipment of about ~225 copies.  Just because you are not privy to the Diamond shipping invoice for the book does not mean it doesn't exist and it isn't true.  Guess what-  it's true.  Deal with it.  Or don't.  Either way, it doesn't change the facts.  ;) But one does not even have to actually see the invoice to perform a reasoned analysis based on a now 6 1/2 history of the book (and others like it from the era). 

As to the book "sitting in collections" and nobody bothering to slab it, well of course that overlooks two obvious facts-  1)  Nothing brings books en masse to the census (and the market) than a high profile sale.  Here we have multiple high profile four and five figure sales of the book, both slabbed and a few raw, and that still ain't happened.  Considering that this is Marvel's top character in their flagship title, that is not only unusual, it's remarkable.  There is no other book like it.  But then I am not familiar with any other ASM's intended for wide distribution only having a couple of hundred copies printed.  and 2) People can still list and sell raw copies of the book (if they had it).  But alas, there have only been three bona fide raw copies offered publicly in three and a half years, the last one a year and a half ago.  Again, remarkable for a mainline title. 

And to further demonstrate the utter frivolity of your assertions , let's have a look at the other 1:100 variants that ASM had during the same time frame, shall we?

Issue Number/# of 9.9/9.8 slabs on census/ Total Slabs/Approx 9.8 FMV:

638 (Sketch Variant):  9.9- 1;  9.8- 57;  Total Slabs- 84;  $150 FMV

639 (Sketch Variant):  9.9- 2;  9.8- 39;  Total Slabs- 48;  $300 FMV

640 (Sketch Variant):  9.9- 3;  9.8- 53;  Total Slabs- 67;  $150 FMV

641 (Sketch  Variant):  9.8- 48;  Total Slabs- 63;  $70 FMV

648 (Variant Edition):  9.8- 22; Total Slabs- 62;  $1250 FMV

648 (Sketch Variant):  9.8- 86; Total Slabs- 133;  $315 FMV

hm

667 (Dell'otto):  9.8- 16; Total Slabs- 32

Interesting how so many more copies of each one of these 1:100's from the same era and run have so many more copies on the census, so many more high grade copies as well (including some 9.9's!), and a few of them barely sell for enough to cover the cost and hassle of having them slabbed.  And yet there they are, on the census nonetheless.  Since these are from the same time frame, one would have to assume that those copies were also "originally purchased by people with no knowledge or interest in the secondary market" and that "they were actual comic collectors, not people who buy the book on Wednesday to sell it on Thursday", right?  Of course these are just simply ridiculous assumptions and not based on anything more than, what, "cuz 'Darkstar' sez so"?  Please.  And yet here they are, a few barely worth anything, and still slabbed by somebody.  Gee I wonder why the 667 would sell for 10X-200X+ multiples of these other ASM issues and still somehow manage to have the least amount of copies on the census, only a handful of slab sales, and an average of less than one raw copy popping up for sale per year.  Could it be the fact that there are only about 225 copies in the world?  hm I bet it coooooould. 

Gee and I wonder why there would be so few copies that have been able to hit a 9.8.  I wonder if that could have anything to do with the fact that many of the copies that came out of that one case pack were damaged. hm  I bet it cooooould.

Sorry bud, you can protest with your uninformed opinions and crazy assumptions over and over until the cows come home, whilst somehow simultaneously (and bafflingly) ignoring every fact and stat and number that is out there as "just not good enough, dagnabbit!", lol doesn't change or affect anything in the least. 

Ahhhhh.  This was fun.  ;)

-J.

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Original raw X-23 #1 closed at $970.  Think that's a new high for a raw copy of one of these.   :whatthe:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-23-1-25-Variant-issue-1-Gabriele-DellOtto/253383851728?hash=item3afedabed0:g:-hgAAOSw4DJaZiCQ

-J.

Yea I was watching this too, to see what would happen. Not bad at all for a raw book. 

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage

30 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

This statement is as mind bogglingly vapid now as it was when you said something similar under one of your other boardie names 2 1/2 years ago.  lol 

The 667 Dell'otto was a one case pack shipment of about ~225 copies.  Just because you are not privy to the Diamond shipping invoice for the book does not mean it doesn't exist and it isn't true.  Guess what-  it's true.  Deal with it.  Or don't.  Either way, it doesn't change the facts.  ;) But one does not even have to actually see the invoice to perform a reasoned analysis based on a now 6 1/2 history of the book (and others like it from the era). 

As to the book "sitting in collections" and nobody bothering to slab it, well of course that overlooks two obvious facts-  1)  Nothing brings books en masse to the census (and the market) than a high profile sale.  Here we have multiple high profile four and five figure sales of the book, both slabbed and a few raw, and that still ain't happened.  Considering that this is Marvel's top character in their flagship title, that is not only unusual, it's remarkable.  There is no other book like it.  But then I am not familiar with any other ASM's intended for wide distribution only having a couple of hundred copies printed.  and 2) People can still list and sell raw copies of the book (if they had it).  But alas, there have only been three bona fide raw copies offered publicly in three and a half years, the last one a year and a half ago.  Again, remarkable for a mainline title. 

And to further demonstrate the utter frivolity of your assertions , let's have a look at the other 1:100 variants that ASM had during the same time frame, shall we?

hm

Interesting how so many more copies of each one of these 1:100's from the same era and run have so many more copies on the census, so many more high grade copies as well (including some 9.9's!), and a few of them barely sell for enough to cover the cost and hassle of having them slabbed.  And yet there they are, on the census nonetheless.  Since these are from the same time frame, one would have to assume that those copies were also "originally purchased by people with no knowledge or interest in the secondary market" and that "they were actual comic collectors, not people who buy the book on Wednesday to sell it on Thursday", right?  Of course these are just simply ridiculous assumptions and not based on anything more than, what, "cuz 'Darkstar' sez so"?  Please.  And yet here they are, a few barely worth anything, and still slabbed by somebody.  Gee I wonder why the 667 would sell for 10X-200X+ multiples of these other ASM issues and still somehow manage to have the least amount of copies on the census, only a handful of slab sales, and an average of less than one raw copy popping up for sale per year.  Could it be the fact that there are only about 225 copies in the world?  hm I bet it coooooould. 

Gee and I wonder why there would be so few copies that have been able to hit a 9.8.  I wonder if that could have anything to do with the fact that many of the copies that came out of that one case pack were damaged. hm  I bet it cooooould.

Sorry bud, you can protest with your uninformed opinions and crazy assumptions over and over until the cows come home, whilst somehow simultaneously (and bafflingly) ignoring every fact and stat and number that is out there as "just not good enough, dagnabbit!", lol doesn't change or affect anything in the least. 

-J.

[IMG]

Still waiting for the invoice. Any minute now. I can feel it in my bones.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

hm

-J.

1. This is a lot of words to say that you still can't produce the invoice.

2. You missed the point entirely about the book sitting in collections. Raw copies are sitting in collections of owners who do not follow the secondary market. So no, high dollar sales won't be bringing these copies to market because their owners aren't tracking those sales, the books aren't investments to them, they were purchased because they like collecting things, not because the book will have a positive ROI down the road. Other 1:100 variants have seen more sales because get this, they had a higher print run than the 667. This was already stated.

3. However, you have no baseline to compare this book to since you don't have the print runs on the other 1:100 variants you listed. There could be 3000 copies of the other 1:100 variants and only 1000 of the 667. Or 2000 copies of the other 1:100 variants and only 800 of the 667. You don't know. All you know is that it looks like the discrepancy in print run is significant based on A) census numbers and B) the number of sales. That does not prove the total copies of the 667 were only a couple hundred. There are too many unknowns in your equation to solve for x. You would need an accurate print run of at least one other 1:100 incentive on your list (the more the better) at which point you could look at that number and compare it to the ratio of graded copies for it and the 667 and then approximate the print run for the 667.