• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, obsidian00 said:

Heard this was legit according to another thread.  Someone reached out to the seller and was informed it shipped out before realizing their mistake.  I don't know to feel happy for the buyer or sad for the seller.

Lol given that there are two other listings on Ebay for around $15k, it's pretty hard to swallow the notion that A) the copy is real, and/or B) the seller did not know what he had.  

It's getting to the point where I wouldn't even suggest someone try buying one of these raw.

-J.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Lol given that there are two other listings on Ebay for around $15k, it's pretty hard to swallow the notion that A) the copy is real, and/or B) the seller did not know what he had.  

It's getting to the point where I wouldn't even suggest someone try buying one of these raw.

-J.

I'd be inclined to agree with you if the book was sitting amongst a load of drek Jay but the seller is (was) clearly an ASM variant collector as they have so many other books that are priced about right, e.g. the 654 second print for £80. It is possible to just collect them as they come out, not keep track of price rises and then get a surprise if and when you come to sell years later. When I sold my brothers Hulks I had only some idea of which ones might be worth something as that wasn't a title I kept track of. Having searched ebay sold for about 50 of them and found nothing notable I almost got fed up looking and considered listing them for flat prices. Hulk variants don't seem to be worth anything I thought. Then I spotted one sale (this is ebay UK by the way which has less results than the US) of the 635 Granov variant going for well over a hundred. That made me search every single copy without fail from that point. So it is possible I think for this to happen. It's possible that the seller found no results on ebay UK and took an ill fated guess. 

Take another look at the other books they have up, sold and avaialble, and see what you think. 

Out of interest, a search just now on ebay UK of 667 brings up ten sold results and the only Dell Otto is the sellers. Even the US sales further down don't show any. Maybe the seller based his price on the Montreal variant sales?

Screenshot_2020-06-16-07-40-33.thumb.png.78a8e993a3d3322d4c3f9f950d748c50.png

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I'd be inclined to agree with you if the book was sitting amongst a load of drek Jay but the seller is (was) clearly an ASM variant collector as they have so many other books that are priced about right, e.g. the 654 second print for £80. It is possible to just collect them as they come out, not keep track of price rises and then get a surprise if and when you come to sell years later. When I sold my brothers Hulks I had only some idea of which ones might be worth something as that wasn't a title I kept track of. Having searched ebay sold for about 50 of them and found nothing notable I almost got fed up looking and considered listing them for flat prices. Hulk variants don't seem to be worth anything I thought. Then I spotted one sale (this is ebay UK by the way which has less results than the US) of the 635 Granov variant going for well over a hundred. That made me search every single copy without fail from that point. So it is possible I think for this to happen. It's possible that the seller found no results on ebay UK and took an ill fated guess. 

Take another look at the other books they have up, sold and avaialble, and see what you think. 

I considered that possibility as well, until I looked for his ASM 648/678/688 and did not see any of those, which means he either did not have those(meaning he was not a comprehensive ASM variant collector), or knew to parse those out.

And if he knew to parse those out, he would also have known he had a sparkling copy of the most valuable book printed in the last 35 years or so, on his hands lol.

Also, the fact that he knew enough about the book to keyword "Dell'otto", is a red flag to me.  The probability that someone would know about "Dell'otto" and would know nothing about his most famous and valuable work,  nearly ten years on, seems just this side of nil to me.

Just like all those people getting those AF 15's on Ebay for $300.  lol

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I considered that possibility as well, until I looked for his ASM 648/678/688 and did not see any of those, which means he either did not have those(meaning he was not a comprehensive ASM variant collector), or knew to parse those out.

And if he knew to parse those out, he would also have known he had a sparkling copy of the most valuable book printed in the last 35 years or so, on his hands lol.

Also, the fact that he knew enough about the book to keyword "Dell'otto", is a red flag to me.  The probability that someone would know about "Dell'otto" and would know nothing about his most famous and valuable work,  nearly ten years on, seems just this side of nil to me.

Just like all those people getting those AF 15's on Ebay for $300.  lol

-J.

Yes, as with most things in life, you can find reasons to support both possibilities I suppose Jay. Only the seller and / or buyer knows for sure here. It's an interesting scenario to speculate on though, as it touches on a key element of the collecting dream - the finding of something precious for a pittance. That dream being a nightmare of course, if you're the seller.

Jay, indulge me, what do you think was going on here then if you don't think it was genuine? What does a seller of some 20 years with 100% feedback x 1141 have to gain from faking a sale of this book at £40? 

53 minutes ago, obsidian00 said:

I found out via a thread in a fb group called the CGC Comic Collectors Society.  Search 667 and boom it has over 100 responses to that particular thread.

image.png.f3d5224331785ff1619dde370aad7020.png

Thanks - I'm not on FB - what was the consensus of opinion over there Obsidian?

57 minutes ago, obsidian00 said:

It wasn't a scam. Just a brutal mistake by the seller.

That's my reading of it, yes. 

So he knows a 606 sketch campbell is worth maybe $100 raw but is clueless that a 667 Dell'otto is worth $6000 raw?

Funny how he seems to more or less nail the pricing on all his other books but that one, ain't it ?  Lol hm

-J.

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

So he knows a 606 sketch campbell is worth maybe $100 raw but is clueless that a 667 Dell'otto is worth $6000 raw?

Funny how he seems to more or less nail the pricing on all his other books but that one, ain't it ?  Lol hm

-J.

Got that, but what is your theory on what has transpired then Jay? What do you think he was trying to do by selling the book for £40?

12 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Got that, but what is your theory on what has transpired then Jay? What do you think he was trying to do by selling the book for £40?

I can only speculate like any one else.  Ebay isn't exactly a bastion of integrity.  My guess, the seller sold a fake.

-J.

13 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I can only speculate like any one else.  Ebay isn't exactly a bastion of integrity.  My guess, the seller sold a fake.

-J.

You may be right Jay, but I just don't see it. I don't see why a seller of their standing and longevity would do that and jeopardise their account for such a trifling sum. 

Either way, an interesting event to debate. 

39 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

This guy is clearly a criminal mastermind he scammed the seller for....checks notes...£40!!!!

Edited by Avi

3 minutes ago, Avi said:

This guy is clearly a criminal mastermind he scammed the seller for....checks notes...£40!!!!

£31.54 actually, after eBay & Paypal fees and assuming £3 for recorded large letter postage (it had free shipping). 

That's my point Avi, as I know you know. What does he gain from this if it's a deliberate attempt at deception? Aside of thirty quid, possible ebay suspension and internet ridicule that is?

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

£31.54 actually, after eBay & Paypal fees and assuming £3 for recorded large letter postage (it had free shipping). 

That's my point Avi, as I know you know. What does he gain from this if it's a deliberate attempt at deception? Aside of thirty quid, possible ebay suspension and internet ridicule that is?

Its more than likely he listed that after one too many pints.

Orrr....maybe it was a revenge sale. Like it belonged to his/her ex who left it there after a breakup and didnt have time to go get it back. And the seller "accidentally" sold it.

27 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

You may be right Jay, but I just don't see it. I don't see why a seller of their standing and longevity would do that and jeopardise their account for such a trifling sum. 

Either way, an interesting event to debate. 

It is a trifling sum.

It also wouldn't be the first time someone sold a fake or a probable fake for a small amount of money either.  (shrug)

After considering it further, the fact that he is so spot on with the pricing on ALL the other, lesser books, evidently knows what those are worth, but is so spectacularly off with the only one that matters, is the final nail in the coffin with me.

-J.