• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Spring Auction

359 posts in this topic

It all seems "relative" until it doesn't. I can't put my finger on the underlying irrationality here but something is amiss.

Speaking only for myself (I don't know that I'm a typical OA buyer, I have a lot less experience than most on here), but Gene's earlier post explained my thought process pretty much exactly.

I didn't start this search with the intention of overpaying for anything, but trying to pay "market value" on what I'm interested in keeps resulting in losing at auction on the best quality X-stuff, and only winning tier 2 and tier 3 pieces. Going forward, I'm trying to buy less of the tier 2/3 pieces, but am still looking for that one killer cover to frame. So I keep trying to incrementally up my game until I finally land one. (And a few smaller items on my want list along the way like a page from X-force 1, a Fatal Attractions cover, an AOA cover, and some other misc things) - I'm usually willing to "overpay" a little if it's something I like, but I don't try to "overpay" significantly very often. It just so happens that in this auction cycle there were 4 pieces I was extremely interested in. Many auction cycles there are 1 or even 0.

But taking the UXM 211 as an example, I've had a few good years on the comic side of things and want to take some of that and put it into a nice OA cover. (Stocks make me nervous, I don't know enough about real estate, and treasuries pay nothing right now) My thought process was if I pay $50k today for a cover that's "worth" call it $40k? that it's costing me $10k to buy something that I want to own and frame. (Like Gene said, if the value were potentially $0, nostalgia be damned I'd do something else with the $$)

But if I'm paying $50k for something worth $40k, and I'm planning (barring something life changing) to own the cover for at least 10 years if not longer. I felt comfortable that by then I'd be able to resell for a profit. (Maybe not as big of a profit as I could make investing smarter elsewhere, but the enjoyment from owning the art to me hopefully makes up the difference)

If I thought being patient meant I'd be able to eventually get one at FMV, that's what I'd do. But so far that strategy has not worked.

Once I finally win that first big, "grail" piece, I will probably be less eager to be as "aggressive" bidding the next time one shows up. But for now it's a moot point because even though I've come close multiple times now, I am still not bidding aggressive enough to actually win.

The X-men 95 was a little bit different (I really liked that cover both for what it is, and for it's investment potential) But due to the dollar amount being well outside my comfort zone, I tried to bid to what I felt was fair market value and stop there. (And if I won, I won.) If my bid was significantly over market value on that one, you can chalk that one up to lack of knowledge. (And in that case, I only put in one bid. So there was a 3rd bidder somewhere around $140k-$145k)

The X-force 1, I think those pages have so much more room to run it almost doesn't matter what you pay today. (And I wanted that page more than I wanted $4000)

But to Gene's point, if I ever actually win 1 or 2 of these, at that point I will probably go back down to my "market value" bids that never seem to win (My resources that can be devoted to this are finite.) :) And then either other underbidders will step in and drive prices up further, or maybe prices temporarily drop a little on the niche of stuff I collect. It definitely can take only 2 people to make a market. (I've seen it in comics and it seems like it can be even worse in art since everything is 1 of 1)

I'm not sure what my strategy will be the next time something I really like shows up. Currently the feedback seems to be that I'm bidding too high, but at the same time still not bidding enough to be able to win and not high enough to draw new pieces out of the woodwork. I don't know if the answer is to bid even higher next time, or give up and focus on something else. (There have to be other people going after the same stuff I am, because even on the covers that I bid in excess of what conventional wisdom said to bid, I am still 0 for 6 in the past year or so for whatever that tells you about the market)

Yeah, that Wookie was awesome. And it had Vader wielding a lightsaber. I took a stab at it as well. I thought in was going to have a chance but...

I can't remember the last time I saw a page from the main Star Wars title, (not a UK version or some such) so well executed, that had Vader, Luke, Lightsaber swinging, R2, 3PO, Leia, Lando, Chewy.....that was quite a combination of images and gorgeous.

congrats on the buy Adam. Is this for you or for the mini-collector in your house? Sounds like this one is for you?

Usually the things I like aren't this cheap. This is for me.

My daughter is holding out for an Adventuretime cover.

I'm cheap, so I don't generally go for anything over 2k. I have before, but I'm a quantity guy mostly. I'd rather spend 5k spread across 7-8 pages. I buy stuff that i like for one reason or another, so I'm generally happy about my auction wins. I don't really sell what I buy with much regularity, but I also don't buy if I think I could potentially lose $ if I had to sell.

My wins this time around.

I already posted this one in the Perez thread, but might as well post it here. To me $700 is ridiculously cheap for a Perez cover. Yeah, it's an off title, but the art itself is pretty awesome. (dude fighting a shark just speaks to me lol )

0XKSDe.jpg

This one (like the Perez) I bought because I love the artist. I could give a rat's about Grimm Fairy Tales, but I've wanted a Paulo Siqueira piece for a while. It's an awesome cover, and boobs. $335

BjNUAD.jpg

These Civil War pages astound me. I loved that story. In 20 years I would be shocked if ANY Civil War page isn't crazy expensive. These two (while not super key pages) are very decent. Invisible Woman and Subby, and the other with a nice Iron Man shot with the flag. I feel like I got a good bargain at around $500 apiece.

ATYDTM.jpg

xPQcX9.jpg

Joe Mad is my favorite X-men artist. Here's how I look at a page like this. If Joe Mad did a full figure drawing of Storm on 11x17 paper with a background I'd be shocked if it didn't go for $1000-$1500 on Ebay. This is basically that, but it's published. It's from my favorite run of X-men. $774 to me is a steal on this.

Rwqf5L.jpg

Another run I loved was the McDaniel Nightwing run. An origin page with Batman on it for $326 is a good fit for me. I've seen weaker Mcdaniel Batman/Nightwing pages sell for more than that. It's very splashy and I love the bits about Dik's origin

eN3Dmn.jpg

This one I paid more than I wanted, but nostalgia got me. I was 13, and home sick from school. My mother brought this issue of X-force home to me that she had gotten while she was shopping at the grocery. I like 80's/90's Liefeld. I make no apologies lol . $1557 for my good memory.

p3S7Mu.jpg

All in all, I think I did ok. Not deals of the century, but not too bad either. I would love any questions/comments. Most of my collection is comprised of 90's stuff that I really loved when it came out. It does affect my buying, but I try to stay within where I think the market is going price wise. If it's any indication, I believe that prices for 90's-early 2000's have just started hitting the tip of the iceberg. I truly think that in 10 years I'll be looking back at these prices and thinking that I should have bought more.

I think Ploogs Werewolf was considerably low. , A Double Page Splash Featuring Dracula engage in a fight with Werewolf for $4500 is a bargain IMO

Agree, as I take a second look. Cool double page spread (with a full page Dracula v Werewolf splash) by Ploog in peak form. That it was executed on a single board (turned horizontal) probably kept a lid on price IMO but otherwise a strong piece from an artist/content perspective. Congrats to the winner.

Valid points, but still a good deal.

I was pleased to get this lot so cheaply. :)

My biggest take from what i collect was.......When have we ever seen any auction where a peter parker character page by Romita going for more than a DITKO asm page with 6 panels of spiderman! lol I placed a late bid of 26k on the romita and i thoguht for sure i'd get it...here i got blown out of the water with "2" people....1 bidding 36k and the winner bidding far more than 37k.

It all seems "relative" until it doesn't. I can't put my finger on the underlying irrationality here but something is amiss.

Speaking only for myself (I don't know that I'm a typical OA buyer, I have a lot less experience than most on here), but Gene's earlier post explained my thought process pretty much exactly.

I didn't start this search with the intention of overpaying for anything, but trying to pay "market value" on what I'm interested in keeps resulting in losing at auction on the best quality X-stuff, and only winning tier 2 and tier 3 pieces. Going forward, I'm trying to buy less of the tier 2/3 pieces, but am still looking for that one killer cover to frame. So I keep trying to incrementally up my game until I finally land one. (And a few smaller items on my want list along the way like a page from X-force 1, a Fatal Attractions cover, an AOA cover, and some other misc things) - I'm usually willing to "overpay" a little if it's something I like, but I don't try to "overpay" significantly very often. It just so happens that in this auction cycle there were 4 pieces I was extremely interested in. Many auction cycles there are 1 or even 0.

But taking the UXM 211 as an example, I've had a few good years on the comic side of things and want to take some of that and put it into a nice OA cover. (Stocks make me nervous, I don't know enough about real estate, and treasuries pay nothing right now) My thought process was if I pay $50k today for a cover that's "worth" call it $40k? that it's costing me $10k to buy something that I want to own and frame. (Like Gene said, if the value were potentially $0, nostalgia be damned I'd do something else with the $$)

But if I'm paying $50k for something worth $40k, and I'm planning (barring something life changing) to own the cover for at least 10 years if not longer. I felt comfortable that by then I'd be able to resell for a profit. (Maybe not as big of a profit as I could make investing smarter elsewhere, but the enjoyment from owning the art to me hopefully makes up the difference)

If I thought being patient meant I'd be able to eventually get one at FMV, that's what I'd do. But so far that strategy has not worked.

Once I finally win that first big, "grail" piece, I will probably be less eager to be as "aggressive" bidding the next time one shows up. But for now it's a moot point because even though I've come close multiple times now, I am still not bidding aggressive enough to actually win.

The X-men 95 was a little bit different (I really liked that cover both for what it is, and for it's investment potential) But due to the dollar amount being well outside my comfort zone, I tried to bid to what I felt was fair market value and stop there. (And if I won, I won.) If my bid was significantly over market value on that one, you can chalk that one up to lack of knowledge. (And in that case, I only put in one bid. So there was a 3rd bidder somewhere around $140k-$145k)

The X-force 1, I think those pages have so much more room to run it almost doesn't matter what you pay today. (And I wanted that page more than I wanted $4000)

But to Gene's point, if I ever actually win 1 or 2 of these, at that point I will probably go back down to my "market value" bids that never seem to win (My resources that can be devoted to this are finite.) :) And then either other underbidders will step in and drive prices up further, or maybe prices temporarily drop a little on the niche of stuff I collect. It definitely can take only 2 people to make a market. (I've seen it in comics and it seems like it can be even worse in art since everything is 1 of 1)

I'm not sure what my strategy will be the next time something I really like shows up. Currently the feedback seems to be that I'm bidding too high, but at the same time still not bidding enough to be able to win and not high enough to draw new pieces out of the woodwork. I don't know if the answer is to bid even higher next time, or give up and focus on something else. (There have to be other people going after the same stuff I am, because even on the covers that I bid in excess of what conventional wisdom said to bid, I am still 0 for 6 in the past year or so for whatever that tells you about the market)

I hear you. I really do. Its a tough game to play. No doubt.

Ultimately, its a personal emotional and financial choice to balance all the factors making a decision when/if to pull the trigger.

I confess that I am amused by this game and will keep watching. Musical chairs was always a favorite of mine as a kid.

I would always circle that lone chair like a bad virus on a dying old man and wait for the music to stop. Nowadays, I am content to watch the participants from the sidelines.

I think I need to start a thread for talking about the comiclink auction stuff that isn't in the many thousands range. I think I might need to consider myself lucky that most of the stuff I really like isn't stuff you bigger spenders care about or notice! lol

Shhhhhhhhhhh

Hype it up enough and it WILL be.

...If I thought being patient meant I'd be able to eventually get one at FMV, that's what I'd do. But so far that strategy has not worked.

This is the came catch 22 all newish collectors face (me included). You're not bidding high enough to win but you're bidding high enough for the winning bid to set a new record. So when the next piece you're interested in comes up for auction, you're blown out of the water again because the entire market moved up.

What's the solution? It's really common sense, but there are three possible courses of action (focusing on the public secondary market only):

1. If you're in it for the long haul, bide your time, don't add to the bidding frenzy and wait for that one time when you can get a piece you like for a reasonable price. The potential downside? You'll end up with nothing because you'll never recognize the right opportunity in real time.

2. If you're really able to be satisfied with one sample of a given artist/title, wait for the one piece you really, really like, and bid to win (which on HA is pretty easy, just click until it says you won; CL is more problematic in this regard), and then walk away from that particular market and let others deal with the fallout. The potential downside? If it turns out this wasn't *the* piece for you, and the right one pops up an auction or two down the road. Now you'll be stuck with a piece you're no longer really crazy about which you potentially overpaid for significantly.

3. Compromise; settle for what you can get instead of what you really want. For example, you if you can do with a nice but not great UXM JRJR cover for not such a great price, go and buy the one Burkey has on his website right now. It's good art but mediocre content (Chuck vs. Selene with, I believe, Rachel Summers lying on the ground), and for what it is priced a bit too much, but you won't have to fight for it. I won't be surprised if now that the auction is over and people will draw their conclusions (and reset their expectations), someone might actually bite.

2c

I think I need to start a thread for talking about the comiclink auction stuff that isn't in the many thousands range. I think I might need to consider myself lucky that most of the stuff I really like isn't stuff you bigger spenders care about or notice! lol

Shhhhhhhhhhh

Who can really blame anybody nowadays for wanting to turn their FRN's into tangible assets. (Especially cool and rare one of a kind comic OA. I am a big fan too even if I don't buy much anymore.)

I remember in the early part of this century when people believed FRN's were sound and - price mattered :roflmao:

But people are onto the money masters tricks of late. And I think part of the consequences what we are seeing in OA is due to that realization.

Dying money is truly fascinating.

You make a good point, sir. :)

Shhhhhhhhhhh

I'm cheap, so I don't generally go for anything over 2k. I have before, but I'm a quantity guy mostly. I'd rather spend 5k spread across 7-8 pages. I buy stuff that i like for one reason or another, so I'm generally happy about my auction wins. I don't really sell what I buy with much regularity, but I also don't buy if I think I could potentially lose $ if I had to sell.

I already posted this one in the Perez thread, but might as well post it here. To me $700 is ridiculously cheap for a Perez cover. Yeah, it's an off title, but the art itself is pretty awesome. (dude fighting a shark just speaks to me lol )

0XKSDe.jpg

This one (like the Perez) I bought because I love the artist. I could give a rat's about Grimm Fairy Tales, but I've wanted a Paulo Siqueira piece for a while. It's an awesome cover, and boobs. $335

BjNUAD.jpg

These Civil War pages astound me. I loved that story. In 20 years I would be shocked if ANY Civil War page isn't crazy expensive. These two (while not super key pages) are very decent. Invisible Woman and Subby, and the other with a nice Iron Man shot with the flag. I feel like I got a good bargain at around $500 apiece.

ATYDTM.jpg

xPQcX9.jpg

Joe Mad is my favorite X-men artist. Here's how I look at a page like this. If Joe Mad did a full figure drawing of Storm on 11x17 paper with a background I'd be shocked if it didn't go for $1000-$1500 on Ebay. This is basically that, but it's published. It's from my favorite run of X-men. $774 to me is a steal on this.

Rwqf5L.jpg

Another run I loved was the McDaniel Nightwing run. An origin page with Batman on it for $326 is a good fit for me. I've seen weaker Mcdaniel Batman/Nightwing pages sell for more than that. It's very splashy and I love the bits about Dik's origin

eN3Dmn.jpg

This one I paid more than I wanted, but nostalgia got me. I was 13, and home sick from school. My mother brought this issue of X-force home to me that she had gotten while she was shopping at the grocery. I like 80's/90's Liefeld. I make no apologies lol . $1557 for my good memory.

p3S7Mu.jpg

All in all, I think I did ok. Not deals of the century, but not too bad either. I would love any questions/comments. Most of my collection is comprised of 90's stuff that I really loved when it came out. It does affect my buying, but I try to stay within where I think the market is going price wise. If it's any indication, I believe that prices for 90's-early 2000's have just started hitting the tip of the iceberg. I truly think that in 10 years I'll be looking back at these prices and thinking that I should have bought more.

As the seller of the Joe Mad piece I agree that $774 is a steal. Congrats!

Malvin

I always find the talk interesting on the high dollar pieces. But I hope I can resist ever getting to the point of actually wanting said pieces. I picked up just one piece, at a price I can live with, that perfectly hits my nostalgia bubble.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DBob%26ItemType%3DCA%26CGC%3D%23Item%5F1121805&id=1121805

Whoops. Sorry if I rubbed it in Malvin. I had forgotten that was one of yours. Did you win anything this time around?

0XKSDe.jpg

BjNUAD.jpg

ATYDTM.jpg

xPQcX9.jpg

Rwqf5L.jpg

eN3Dmn.jpg

p3S7Mu.jpg

As the seller of the Joe Mad piece I agree that $774 is a steal. Congrats!

Malvin

I always find the talk interesting on the high dollar pieces. But I hope I can resist ever getting to the point of actually wanting said pieces. I picked up just one piece, at a price I can live with, that perfectly hits my nostalgia bubble.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DBob%26ItemType%3DCA%26CGC%3D%23Item%5F1121805&id=1121805

I've never even seen that piece before but it's great! Congrats on a cool pickup!! Loved Xtinction Agenda...

Nice buy. Congrats. :golfclap:

Spending 50k for the mere enjoyment of looking at art that doesn't appreciate in value or even loses value in real or nominal terms is evidence of "something" amiss. Don't ask me what because I don;t have the insight to know what it is. It just seems like irrational behavior to me.

If enjoyment of owning the art > expected price depreciation, then it's still worth it. If one is living hand-to-mouth and money concerns are always top of mind, then maybe one's enjoyment/pride of ownership is invariably going to be less than any financial hit taken. But, if comic art is what you love and you have the money, then sometimes you're willing to pay up for the privilege of ownership even if it's not your best financial/investment option.

And, hey, even if paying $51K for a nostalgic piece that few will care about in 30 years isn't the wisest financial option, there are probably even worse things you can do with your money (and, no, I didn't go for the X211 - it's in the nostalgic sweet spot, yes, but there are numerous covers from that era that I personally remember more fondly!) 2c

Regarding the X-Men 211, whoever won it, I'd probably suggest restoring it.

That puppy is beyond baked, not very pleasant to look at. Also, if someone intends to frame it for some reason, the browning will surely get darker over time, and that may even happen if left in a dark flat file.

There are certainly better covers. The 211 is like a deluxe commission sketch, a small head of Wolverine taking up about half of the cover. Not much to it. I'm scratching my head on the result of this one. Surprised it did not take a bigger hit due to condition as well. Seems like the final price was not affected by it much?

Awesome piece! I wanted that one too, but I had to draw the line somewhere. I bid somewhere in the $600 range earlier on knowing full well it would go much higher. Also, you win the award for coolest board name. North Am would be proud.

Spending 50k for the mere enjoyment of looking at art that doesn't appreciate in value or even loses value in real or nominal terms is evidence of "something" amiss. Don't ask me what because I don;t have the insight to know what it is. It just seems like irrational behavior to me.

If enjoyment of owning the art > expected price depreciation, then it's still worth it. If one is living hand-to-mouth and money concerns are always top of mind, then maybe one's enjoyment/pride of ownership is invariably going to be less than any financial hit taken. But, if comic art is what you love and you have the money, then sometimes you're willing to pay up for the privilege of ownership even if it's not your best financial/investment option.

And, hey, even if paying $51K for a nostalgic piece that few will care about in 30 years isn't the wisest financial option, there are probably even worse things you can do with your money (and, no, I didn't go for the X211 - it's in the nostalgic sweet spot, yes, but there are numerous covers from that era that I personally remember more fondly!) 2c

Regarding the X-Men 211, whoever won it, I'd probably suggest restoring it.

That puppy is beyond baked, not very pleasant to look at. Also, if someone intends to frame it for some reason, the browning will surely get darker over time, and that may even happen if left in a dark flat file.

There are certainly better covers. The 211 is like a deluxe commission sketch, a small head of Wolverine taking up about half of the cover. Not much to it. I'm scratching my head on the result of this one. Surprised it did not take a bigger hit due to condition as well. Seems like the final price was not affected by it much?

Nostalgia is one of the most powerful forces in the universe. Stronger than gravity.