• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has remainder comics? Let's see them!

94 posts in this topic

As a kid haunting the old flea markets back east there was a dealer at Englishtown Auction Sales who had piles of recent remainder comics for a nickel each. I hated them though as I wanted the full cover. Folks who wanted to buy books to read loved these though as that was a steep discount from the 15cents cover price at the time.

Remainder books then, a kid could get one for probably 5¢ instead of full-boat 12-15¢, jump to today, it's pretty much the same thing with more zeros!

One regret I do have, there was a nice, clean remaindered copy of Black Cat #50 on eBay several years back -- went for a little over $100. Probably the last reasonable shot I had at one, but ah well! :)

I've got several boxes of remaindered books with the titles carefully ripped off the front cover.  Why?  Because my grandfather was the manager of the Woolworth's and brought home remaindered comics for my dad.  There were also a fair number of coverless books. When I first took possession of them in the late 70s, it was not easy to discover what issue the coverless comics were.  Don't worry, though, my dad had plenty of un-remaindered comics as well.  

1 hour ago, originalisbest said:

Remainder books then, a kid could get one for probably 5¢ instead of full-boat 12-15¢, jump to today, it's pretty much the same thing with more zeros!

One regret I do have, there was a nice, clean remaindered copy of Black Cat #50 on eBay several years back -- went for a little over $100. Probably the last reasonable shot I had at one, but ah well! :)

I wonder what the value of my DETECTIVE #168 would be?

Marty

4 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I've got several boxes of remaindered books with the titles carefully ripped off the front cover.  Why?  Because my grandfather was the manager of the Woolworth's and brought home remaindered comics for my dad.  There were also a fair number of coverless books. When I first took possession of them in the late 70s, it was not easy to discover what issue the coverless comics were.  Don't worry, though, my dad had plenty of un-remaindered comics as well.  

That's one way to build a collection!

Just found information that a Poor 0.5 coverless and incomplete copy of DETECTIVE #168 sold on 12/26/17 for $895.95...

and Nostomania lists an uncertified  Poor 0.5 copy at $1,190.00.

Marty

Edited by Marty Mann