• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A comic era has ended

70 posts in this topic

If you have a friend you've been meaning to speak with....make the call.

If you have a friend you've been meaning to visit...do it as soon as possible...

Reminder that life is short and unexpected things happen. Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today.

I was headed to mobile last weekend to visit Barrington and trip delayed due to him being hospitalized. We rescheduled for this weekend ... He sounded great when I spoke to him Wednesday and even yesterday he sounded like he was doing better.

Still shocked :(

I was just eating chicken dipping it in the grease. I now think at 53 years old thats something i need to stop.I do have a beer belly now and never eat vegetables.and like G.A.tor said life is short. I never new Steve but looking at the pics Bill posted this really sucks. Condolences to family and Bill.

Veggies are good for you.

Chicken fat is not so bad and much better for you than cheap carbs. Diet research is still in it's infancy.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/foods-high-in-cholesterol-dont-raise-heart-risks/?_r=0

Here is a more lighthearted picture of Steve from a Chicago Comic Con some years ago

P8110051.jpg

Always looked forward to chatting with Steve at the Chicago Con. A gentleman and good guy. He'll be sorely missed.

Bill was right when he said that Steve was from another era. The two of us were the oldest guys at some of the Pons Cons and we enjoyed talking about all the changes we had seen in the hobby and what a great bunch of young guys we were sharing the day with. I always looked forward to talking with him.

If you have a friend you've been meaning to speak with....make the call.

If you have a friend you've been meaning to visit...do it as soon as possible...

Reminder that life is short and unexpected things happen. Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today.

I was headed to mobile last weekend to visit Barrington and trip delayed due to him being hospitalized. We rescheduled for this weekend ... He sounded great when I spoke to him Wednesday and even yesterday he sounded like he was doing better.

Still shocked :(

This ...

the most fundamentally truthfull things in life are so often the stuff that is most difficult to integrate in ones life on a daily basis. only one person in western civilisation has managed that to perfection. and that was al long time ago.

For any that want more insight, this was written about Steve by Taylor-Marie Moody

my friend Steve died today. i don't know if you ever got to meet him, but if not let me give you an idea of him. he was an older man, with white hair and glasses and frequently a superman, flash, or fantastic four t shirt on. he was diabetic, with more health issues than he should had to deal with, and would intentionally give himself insulin shots in front of Jaleel who cannot stand the sight of needles. (he took great amusement in this) when i began working for him, he'd already been to the hospital unexpectedly the week before, and had scared the hell out of everyone around him in the process. this stopped him not at all from being just as charismatic, hardworking and funny as he always was when i visited his shop.

he knew so much about comics, but also about religion, history, books, movies, tv, and classical music. he knew the best way to cook with hot peppers and he knew hot dogs to be the most delicious food he could find.

he not only contributed to and advised for the overstreet price guide, and helped to shape many geeks in mobile by providing their books and wonderful conversation, but he was a writer, both of serious and of silly articles. he wrote for rag papers with as much joy as he wrote about people he sincerely admired. he lit up at the sight of children, he was never afraid of confronting someone, and he had a wonderful sense of humor. the amount of titles, dates, authors, artists, major plot lines, changes in costume, controversy and scandal, price hikes and drops, and everything else that he could remember was astonishing and god help you if you challenged him on any of it. he sold, bought, haggled, boasted and displayed; he cherished his collections like children. he may have not been a biological father to any living persons but he ran Flea Market Comics like a dutiful and loving parent. he ran it with kindness, humor, discretion and a charitable heart. i believe each customer could feel his enthusiasm pouring forth in his work, which was not much like work to him at all most days but seemed often rather like the time of his life.

he would find a joke he loved and tell it to every person he saw, laughing whole-heartedly each time, as if it were new to him. he truly was a man fit to run a store, as he seemed to know in his bones how to best make a person feel special over something that to another would easily be nothing more than a simple transaction - a few dollars for a few issues. he didn't ever care if he offended you with his jokes or his opinions, often going out of his way to make sure to bring up the uncomfortable topic for his own pleasure, like a social experiment. but it was okay, in the end, because you didn't much care either. he immediately became that sort of friend. he was loveable to the point that he could get away with many, many things, and today while reading such kind words about his passing, i can't help but hear his voice in my head, mocking each of you (and me) in his loving way. either he'd be self deprecating, and counter all you'd said, or he'd humbly announce that of course all of that was true, and then some.

he was one of the kindest people i have ever known, and he made me laugh, reassured me, encouraged me. i cannot believe he's gone. i cannot believe i will never get to walk into that booth and work with him, hug him, buy a comic from him, share lunch with him, discuss our love of old movies, see him tease Jon mercilessly, or carry on hour long conversations with Ronald. he will never brag on me like i'm his daughter to Mauricio again, or ask how Emily is doing with the baby and her back, or question my dating Tim ("I thought *I* was your boyfriend!" i can still hear him say it.)

that booth may be haunted and i very much hope that it is. he was a wonderful man and i will miss him terribly. he was the sort of person who became family, and quickly. when you keep his loved ones in mind, please keep in mind all his comic loving children and all his friends. his loss will be felt heavily for years to come. we love you, Steve.

This is the oldest picture I can find of us.

It's from the early 90s at a local show, may have been Coast Con, or one of the New Orleans shows

My we were young men then

E66FA371-2334-4121-8A7F-E1069FE4D1CE_zpsnr1r21ph.jpg

Really saddened to hear the news. Steve was quite the character,and a true lover of comics. Also very knowledgeable about college football. I can still hear him and Parker talking about it...

Thanks for posting this pic Pons, really cool to see him as a younger man.