• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A comic era has ended

70 posts in this topic

Bill was right when he said that Steve was from another era. The two of us were the oldest guys at some of the Pons Cons and we enjoyed talking about all the changes we had seen in the hobby and what a great bunch of young guys we were sharing the day with. I always looked forward to talking with him.

(thumbs u

If you have a friend you've been meaning to speak with....make the call.

If you have a friend you've been meaning to visit...do it as soon as possible...

Reminder that life is short and unexpected things happen. Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today.

Amen, Brother. (thumbs u Good to remember each day!

160771.jpg.2c5443725983965ac32017564271762b.jpg

Billy called me Saturday morning with the news, and I was shocked. I knew Steve had been battling heath issues for much of his life, but it was still very sudden. My friendship with him went back to my years at More Fun in New Orleans. I've known him since I was a teenager. He was such a fixture in the Mobile area, and I'm sure many, many people will mourn his loss.

He had such a unique personality, which I think was well described in Taylor-Marie's post. I best remember his wacky jokes, his endless knowledge of so many things, and above all, that high pitched southern drawl that was so fun to imitate! We shared many Steve moments we gained every time we were around him. He was certainly a character.

He often submitted jokes to Mad and Cracked, among other publications, that often saw print. And he sure loved Superman above all else. But his knowledge and experience he developed from decades in the hobby put him on a level that many of us cannot duplicate.

I'll miss him.

This is the oldest picture I can find of us.

It's from the early 90s at a local show, may have been Coast Con, or one of the New Orleans shows

My we were young men then

E66FA371-2334-4121-8A7F-E1069FE4D1CE_zpsnr1r21ph.jpg

I believe this was Coast Con 1992, mere months after Bill opened More Fun. I didn't make it that first year (to my chagrin). I started going the next several years, setting up with Bill, and Steve was right there the whole time. What a great show back then! The best dealers there were Steve, us, Jack Culpepper, Jack Mallete, Ken Stribling, and a Herb Macalla. For a young guy looking for Golden Age before the internet, this was as good as it got in the South.

the best picture I had of Steve and myself was Chicago 2011 (or maybe it was 10)... I sold him his most coveted comic, a superman 1... he looked it over for about 10 minutes, never cracking a smile or showing any signs of excitement...I told him I though he would be "happier" and he said "I would, but I have to pay for it"...unfortunately, that pic is lost to an older computer that died...c'est la vie

but here is a pic of steve with that Superman 1 (still not smiling lol )

barringtonsupe12_zpsflaex561.jpg

the best picture I had of Steve and myself was Chicago 2011 (or maybe it was 10)... I sold him his most coveted comic, a superman 1... he looked it over for about 10 minutes, never cracking a smile or showing any signs of excitement...I told him I though he would be "happier" and he said "I would, but I have to pay for it"...unfortunately, that pic is lost to an older computer that died...c'est la vie

but here is a pic of steve with that Superman 1 (still not smiling lol )

barringtonsupe12_zpsflaex561.jpg

That made me laugh. Captures perfectly the "Man, it's so great to land this book ... I'm going to be so broke" moment that we've probably all had.

I haven't been on this forum much lately but I am really terribly sad today to read of the loss of Steve Barrington. He was a true Southern gentleman who was humble and selfless. He was always concerned about the needs of others and not of himself. A truly decent person. Honest and funny. His comics store, located at the Mobile Flea Market, survived and prospered and outlasted many bigger bricks-and-mortar comic stores in that area, and that illustrated how well Steve treated people. He made many contributions, both big and small, to the comic collector world over many decades. I was down in Mobile in late December and made a special effort to visit the Flea Market to say hello to him but he wasn't there. Now, of course, I wish I had made at least a follow up phone call. Thanks Bill for posting these cool photos of him and also to the others who have posted good words and photos. RIP Steve

I haven't been on this forum much lately but I am really terribly sad today to read of the loss of Steve Barrington. He was a true Southern gentleman who was humble and selfless. He was always concerned about the needs of others and not of himself. A truly decent person. Honest and funny. His comics store, located at the Mobile Flea Market, survived and prospered and outlasted many bigger bricks-and-mortar comic stores in that area, and that illustrated how well Steve treated people. He made many contributions, both big and small, to the comic collector world over many decades. I was down in Mobile in late December and made a special effort to visit the Flea Market to say hello to him but he wasn't there. Now, of course, I wish I had made at least a follow up phone call. Thanks Bill for posting these cool photos of him and also to the others who have posted good words and photos. RIP Steve

Thanks Ken for coming on and sharing your thoughts on Steve. He was always very fond of you

I did not know Steve, but I really enjoyed getting to know him through all the memories that everyone has shared in this thread. I really feel I missed a chance to meet a great person. Best wishes to his family and friends.