• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Cleveland -- March 17-19, 2017
1 1

73 posts in this topic

They changed the date of the Columbus show also. Probably trying to keep them farther apart for maximum attendance.

This new Cleveland date actually puts it closer to Columbus. They moved Columbus back to July and Pittsburgh to November to space those out. I guess moving Cleveland puts 3-4 months between that trio of shows.

Friday is going to be a cluster F since St Patrick's Day is huge in Cleveland. The people that will be going downtown will be drunk as skunks after the parade ends at 2:00ish. I'm sure some will mosey on over to the Con but most will be broke and drunk - nice combo. I may go on Saturday to cosplay with my wife but I'm sitting this show out since I sense disaster that weekend.

Anytime you can go to Cleveland in winter and pay money to see Michael C Hall and Salvador Larrocca (EASILY THE TWO BEST GUESTS), you gotta do it, especially if there will be a bunch of dangerously drunk 'bros' wandering around.

On a totally unrelated note, how's the Wizard bankruptcy thing going?

Edited by Revat

They still have a website, and apparently they are still doing shows, so for now they appear to be solvent. But all the dealers I have talked to are hedging bets and won't book any tables at a Wizard show too far in advance...

So I guess we will see if they are still around by this show or by the end of the year. NO has always been a profitable show for them, so they likely got some cash to operate off of. But it's that stretch through the middle of the year, with shows like St. Louis, Des Moines, Sacramento and Albuquerque, that I'm most worried about.

They still have a website, and apparently they are still doing shows, so for now they appear to be solvent. But all the dealers I have talked to are hedging bets and won't book any tables at a Wizard show too far in advance...

So I guess we will see if they are still around by this show or by the end of the year. NO has always been a profitable show for them, so they likely got some cash to operate off of. But it's that stretch through the middle of the year, with shows like Des Moines and Albuquerque, that I'm most worried about.

I think Philly and Chicago do well for them too. But some of these more 'random' ones (I guess costs are lower)....Cleveland, Sacramento and the ones you mentioned, it seems like they're putting on shows just to put them on.

So I guess we will see if they are still around by this show or by the end of the year. NO has always been a profitable show for them, so they likely got some cash to operate off of. But it's that stretch through the middle of the year, with shows like Des Moines and Albuquerque, that I'm most worried about.

I think Philly and Chicago do well for them too. But some of these more 'random' ones (I guess costs are lower)....Cleveland, Sacramento and the ones you mentioned, it seems like they're putting on shows just to put them on.

It sounded like Cleveland was a good show last year with plenty through the door, but I don't claim to know specifics. It could have been a profitable show. And others like NO, Philly, and Chicago are also certainly profitable (or ought to be if they're doing them right).

I agree that the "random" shows as you put it should be off their calendar. If they could put on 8-10 profitable shows there is no reason to do 15-20 by including marginal shows. Or wait until you can sprinkle a show into a new area to try to grow it among other profitable shows on your schedule. But to expand into so many marginal markets as rapidly as they did was clearly a recipe for disaster. And doubling down on many of those marginal shows has been stupid, unless they stood to lose more money by not holding those shows because of guaranteed contracts they were beholden to.

It sounded like Cleveland was a good show last year with plenty through the door, but I don't claim to know specifics. It could have been a profitable show. And others like NO, Philly, and Chicago are also certainly profitable (or ought to be if they're doing them right).

I agree that the "random" shows as you put it should be off their calendar. If they could put on 8-10 profitable shows there is no reason to do 15-20 by including marginal shows. Or wait until you can sprinkle a show into a new area to try to grow it among other profitable shows on your schedule. But to expand into so many marginal markets as rapidly as they did was clearly a recipe for disaster. And doubling down on many of those marginal shows has been stupid, unless they stood to lose more money by not holding those shows because of guaranteed contracts they were beholden to.

I set up at Cleveland last year and it was a good show all the way around (good numbers, good celebs, dealers were happy) but they moved it back a month and picked St Patrick Day weekend. February was perfect since there is nothing going on and everyone is stir crazy so it was a big draw. Mid March is tapering into spring and people are hitting spring break so I just don't think it will do as well. Unless they can pull in some big names like last year (Matt Smith from Doctor Who and the guy from Thor) it is going to be a dud all the way around.

At least the list of celebs coming to the Portland show seem to be even worse then the Cleveland show and that show is less then a month away.

Edited by 1Cool

At least the list of celebs coming to the Portland show seem to be even worse then the Cleveland show and that show is only a couple weeks away.

Everyone else is worse, but the Orphan Black girl fresh off her Emmy is HUGE, she hasn't done that many signings yet.

At least the list of celebs coming to the Portland show seem to be even worse then the Cleveland show and that show is only a couple weeks away.

Everyone else is worse, but the Orphan Black girl fresh off her Emmy is HUGE, she hasn't done that many signings yet.

What is Orphan Black? Never heard of it but I'll look it up tonight.

Awesome sci fi show on BBC America. She plays multiple clones of herself. Its all very impressive.

Awesome sci fi show on BBC America. She plays multiple clones of herself. Its all very impressive.

I've heard that that show is good, and also why "Clone" from Image had their TV deal fall through because the concepts were too similar.