• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $900, do you buy NM 98 (9.8) ASM300 (9.8) BA12 (9.6)

82 posts in this topic

I know technically BA 12 came out in 1992, and many list 91 as the end of Copper, but let's just pretend.

You have $900 (GPA for last two sales of first titles), and you see a 9.8 New Mutans 98 slab, an ASM 300 9.8 Slab, or a Batman Adventures 9.6 slab (9.8 is in the 1500+, and 9.6 you'd pocket some money, 50-75).

Which do you buy, and why?

I think time will tell, but obviously NM 98 and ASM 300 have been headed for a crash course as the possible key for the new kids, for quite some time.

I know technically BA 12 came out in 1992, and many list 91 as the end of Copper, but let's just pretend.

You have $900 (GPA for last two sales of first titles), and you see a 9.8 New Mutans 98 slab, an ASM 300 9.8 Slab, or a Batman Adventures 9.6 slab (9.8 is in the 1500+, and 9.6 you'd pocket some money, 50-75).

I think time will tell, but obviously NM 98 and ASM 300 have been headed for a crash course as the possible key for the new kids, for quite some time.

NM 98 if you plan to sell in the next two years.

ASM 300 for the long haul.

I spit on your 9.6. :insane:

This is an interesting question. If you go with 9.8 NM 98 at $900 you're buying potentially at the top of its value thanks to movie hype. But with how well the movie is doing, who knows , $900 could be the new floor for the book.

If you buy the 9.6 BA 12 you are probably going to lose money as that book is in the throes of a pre-movie hype speculative cycle.

The book with the most potential upside is probably the ASM 300, as even with no movie hype it is still a pretty consistent $900 book in a 9.8, and of course has McFarlane, Venom and that classic cover.

-J.

NM 98 if you plan to sell in the next two years.

ASM 300 for the long haul.

I spit on your 9.6. :insane:

... if these are the only three choices, they seem about equal to me. I don't see any of them increasing in value 10 fold over 20 years...... too much availability. I might give Deadpool the nudge as his mainstream appeal looks good at this point......plus he's a headliner where the other two are more villain/ support oriented characters. As a collector, I personally prefer the ASM 300, I'm a McSpidey fan....... but I already have one and don't really need the uber grade. With those three, you should get the one you want the most, as time may provide the opportunity to snag the others later. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

For $900, I'd take the NM 98...Why? Because villains don't perform as well as the heroes, Deadpool's popularity is going through the roof. Don't get a BA 12 unless it's a 9.8. A 9.6 is a waste of time/money. I'd buy a DRK 1 9.8 before I'd buy a 9.6 BA 12

For $900, I'd take the NM 98...Why? Because villains don't perform as well as the heroes, Deadpool's popularity is going through the roof. Don't get a BA 12 unless it's a 9.8. A 9.6 is a waste of time/money. I'd buy a DRK 1 9.8 before I'd buy a 9.6 BA 12

...all of these are books that might be found to be good resub gambles.... if you can hunt down an undergraded copy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

With regards to the villain / hero comments - it's hard to predict these. Harley and Deadpool both aren't exactly your normal run of the mill "heroes." They've been on the other side of the equation, and at their start, would have been considered bad guys.

Venom has had some work done on him to try to move him out of the villain role, but it certainly hasn't stuck as well as the other two.

IF you know anything about grading and you are buying already slabbed copies of these books -

bush_doing_it_wrong_1_zpsag0uzsyx.jpg

IF you know anything about grading and you are buying already slabbed copies of these books -

bush_doing_it_wrong_1_zpsag0uzsyx.jpg

hypothetical-question-answered-everybody-loses-their-minds-meme-8976.jpg

I'm a decent grader - certainly well enough to hit desired targets on moderns and coppers - and I often buy slabbed books because I have more money than time. Sometimes it is just more convenient when you have a lot of other things to take care of - I imagine people who sell slabbed books are probably be appreciative of that.

Marry, Kill, Frack

Marry AS 300. Its the iconic book.

Kill NM 98. Its the annoying book

Frack BA 12. Well do I need to say...

However after seeing the DP movie, I have to change my mind. Deadpool may have changed the entire super hero movie game for the next several years allowing more adult themes and humor to make the genre much more interesting. I believe we are seeing the distinct divide between kids movies and adult movies and that is not a bad thing. For that NM 98 may be the game changer.

I'd forget about spending hundreds of dollars on the latest hot key that, if history is any indication at all, will eventually settle back down as every comic published from 1965-on has.

I'd buy a boatload of 80's comics and enjoy days of wonder and nights of mystery, that owning no "hot key book" could ever replicate.