• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You have $900, do you buy NM 98 (9.8) ASM300 (9.8) BA12 (9.6)

82 posts in this topic

Much as I love Hobgoblin (and much prefer him to Venom) I think the ship on him appearing in a Spidey movie has sailed.

Hobgoblin is my favorite Spidey villain and that whole stretch between 238-289 leading up to his reveal/death was awesome. I'm perfectly happy keeping him that way and not having some hideous movie bastardization ruin him in the interest of breathing new life into the character. 238 still stands on its own 'cause OG Hobby was a bad mf'er.

Also, I still need a 238 9.8, so…..

Given the choices...

1. ASM 300 CGC 9.8

2. NM 98 CGC 9.8

3. BA 12 CGC 9.6 (the grade hurts)

My optimal choices (given the 3 books)...

1. ASM 300 CGC 9.8 UPC version

2. BA 12 CGC 9.8

3. NM 98 CGC 9.8 UPC version

ASM is a superior book. It has great art and story (both which matters to me). We can argue which of the characters are more popular but ASM 300 is a near perfect comic all around.

***NM 98 story was pretty lame and the art of BA 12 is sub par.

2. BA 12 CGC 9.8

You can't get a BA 12 CGC 9.8 for $900, but you can get a 9.6.

Why wouldn't you want the UPC version of the BA 12? It's probably the toughest of all 3.

2. BA 12 CGC 9.8

Why wouldn't you want the UPC version of the BA 12? It's probably the toughest of all 3.

I know that man! That's why I said my optimal choices (given the 3 books). I put them all at 9.8 to even the playing field.

Sure, the UPC version of BA 12 is the hardest to find and probably most rare. But I'll still take the ASM 300 UPC version over it. Just preference. The artwork on BA 12 is a huge turn off for me. Comics are different from other books because they provide art and story. ASM 300 is superior in both areas.

2. BA 12 CGC 9.8

I know that man! That's why I said my optimal choices (given the 3 books). I put them all at 9.8 to even the playing field.

Sure, the UPC version of BA 12 is the hardest to find and probably most rare. But I'll still take the ASM 300 UPC version over it. Just preference. The artwork on BA 12 is a huge turn off for me. Comics are different from other books because they provide art and story. ASM 300 is superior in both areas.

(thumbs u

Gotcha, so you're saying that even if you could get a BA 12 CGC 9.8 for $900, you'd rather have ASM 300 CGC 9.8 UPC.

On 2/29/2016 at 9:25 AM, 50/50 said:

I know technically BA 12 came out in 1992, and many list 91 as the end of Copper, but let's just pretend.

You have $900 (GPA for last two sales of first titles), and you see a 9.8 New Mutans 98 slab, an ASM 300 9.8 Slab, or a Batman Adventures 9.6 slab (9.8 is in the 1500+, and 9.6 you'd pocket some money, 50-75).

Which do you buy, and why?

I think time will tell, but obviously NM 98 and ASM 300 have been headed for a crash course as the possible key for the new kids, for quite some time.

Where are you finding an ASM 300 9.8 for $900?

Because you should buy it and then sell it the very next day on eBay for $2000. 

This isn't complicated. 

2 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Where are you finding an ASM 300 9.8 for $900?

Because you should buy it and then sell it the very next day on eBay for $2000. 

This isn't complicated. 

It seems a lot more complicated when you are answering questions that were asked 18 months ago.  If you really want to pound your chest, why don't you bump a thread from 2002 and answer the "Who is paying $15,000 for a 7.5 AF 15."  Go get 'em, Tiger!!

1 hour ago, seanfingh said:

It seems a lot more complicated when you are answering questions that were asked 18 months ago.  If you really want to pound your chest, why don't you bump a thread from 2002 and answer the "Who is paying $15,000 for a 7.5 AF 15."  Go get 'em, Tiger!!

Bwwwaaaaaaaahahahaha......:roflmao:

18 minutes ago, Philflound said:

How many of these boring posts are people going to write about. Will you buy so and so comic or so and so comic. If I had $900, I wouldn't buy either but invest it in Silver and Gold books.

$900 doesn't get you much in Silver and Gold.  So, you're really saying "I'd rather spend $900 on middle-to-lower importance older books than top-condition important more recent books."

...and you think it's weird that so many others disagree that these posts keep coming up all the time. lol

I think it's better to ride on many mid-grade older books than 1 book that goes up and then comes down. My BA 12 is 9.8 though it's not graded. I've watched graded 9.8 copies go from $1800+ to $1500 now in the past year.

On March 2, 2016 at 1:36 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Disagree Red!...and my 6-year old would as well. Deadpool isn't just showing up in R-rated movies. He's on a lot of the Marvel cartoons that are out now as well. He's my 6-year olds favorite character by far! He's like a funny, wise-cracking ninja with a lot of cool weapons and swords...exactly what little boys love.

He's basically Daffy Duck for the Marvel Universe

On 6/24/2017 at 1:02 PM, valiantman said:

$900 doesn't get you much in Silver and Gold.  So, you're really saying "I'd rather spend $900 on middle-to-lower importance older books than top-condition important more recent books."

...and you think it's weird that so many others disagree that these posts keep coming up all the time. lol

I'd take that $900 and buy some original art with it. Maybe a modern cover.

On 6/24/2017 at 1:50 PM, Philflound said:

I think it's better to ride on many mid-grade older books than 1 book that goes up and then comes down. My BA 12 is 9.8 though it's not graded. I've watched graded 9.8 copies go from $1800+ to $1500 now in the past year.

It ain't a 9.8 unless it's been graded. And, frankly, sometimes it ain't a 9.8 even if it's been graded. :wink:

On 3/2/2016 at 2:48 PM, Gatsby77 said:

We've now seen Green Goblin in 3 out of 5 Spider-Man movies -- my bet is they'll go with different characters (Kraven, Mysterio, Chameleon, Vulture, even Venom again) rather than back to a Green Goblin knock-off.

Gauche to quote myself, but simplly noting...15 months later and here we are.

With a Vulture movie arriving next week and Kraven, Mysterio and Venom spin-off movies announced.

Just my opinion, between the two books in the original thread, I'd probably still go with BA 12 even with the 9.6 grade.  I know there's a lot of them out there, but Harley tends to attract a lot fans, particularly female, that seem to transcend comics.  I think there will always be interest in the character.  At worst, she'll always get tie-in interest from both Batman and the Joker if she can't stand on her own.

Personally, I'd invest the money into something else altogether.