• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor 193 in 9.8 at $3250...I don't get it

13 posts in this topic

Random question....

Does anyone understand Thor 193 selling for $3250 in 9.8? It's not new news...prices have been over $3000 since 2010. But I am just curious why this book is getting so much. Is it just rare in high grade?? (10 copies in 9.8...none higher)

Is it just rare in high grade?? (10 copies in 9.8...none higher)

fewer copies on census for two issues around it...

192: 5 CGC 9.8s

194: 6 GCG 9.8s

(now part of that is more copies stay raw since they arent worth four figures)

I assume its a market interest in

a) Silver Surfer cover

b) marvel photo frame cover.

9.4s usually go for less than guide, just get one of those. I will usually go as high as 10x guide for low population 9.8 and a standout issue like this. $3250 price tells me the seller doesn't want to part with it unless he can profit from it. A couple more 9.8s will cut prices further and there are a lot of ungraded copies out there. Move on...

Random question....

Does anyone understand Thor 193 selling for $3250 in 9.8? It's not new news...prices have been over $3000 since 2010. But I am just curious why this book is getting so much. Is it just rare in high grade?? (10 copies in 9.8...none higher)

Demand > supply.

I love this comic. It's the first cover appearance of the Surfer on a Thor comic, the one and only Thor picture frame squarebound, a tough book to find with both a 9.8 grade and a good cover wrap, and a giant-size of cool story and art. Disclosure: I own a 9.8 copy. :blush:

Now if you really want to be amazed, find a 9.8 well-wrapped copy of Avengers #93 and see what that puppy goes for.