• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if?????

24 posts in this topic

OK, so its Friday, its silly season in politics, how about we bring some of that silliness to the boards?

WHAT IF __________ Had a lower print run???????

List a title, or a single issue, that you think would have been HOTTER THAN *#@*& had it had a very very low print run

Lets try be creative with this one... Anyone can list Spider-man #1 or any other common book... But anyways...

I nominate Ronin/DC as a viable candidate to start

2998753-tumblr_m4h9jljgtp1qk1j78o1_1280.jpg

Can only imagine what New Mutants 98 would be if the print run was a 10th what it was. Crazy money for sure.

I would actually think some of the earlier Liefeld books would be up there as well, such as What If (vol 2) #7 or even Hawk/Dove

Can only imagine what New Mutants 98 would be if the print run was a 10th what it was. Crazy money for sure.

With that you could also include BA #12...that would be insane numbers right now!

It's a controversial topic, but if collectors (in larger numbers) do start differentiating between direct and newsstand editions, a few of the easy books will be much, much tougher in high grade.

It's a controversial topic, but if collectors (in larger numbers) do start differentiating between direct and newsstand editions, a few of the easy books will be much, much tougher in high grade.

But is there a way of calculating that? We already know that newsstands are usually more rare, and usually not is as good of a condition as Direct, but is there anyway to determine how much more rare? Is it possible to find out what the print runs were?

But is there a way of calculating that? We already know that newsstands are usually more rare, and usually not is as good of a condition as Direct, but is there anyway to determine how much more rare? Is it possible to find out what the print runs were?

I don't think print runs are as important as "market availability" decades later (today). Direct and newsstand editions have different attrition rates. What's actually for sale now? I've checked Amazing Spider-man #300 on and off for years, and there's usually about 30 high-grade direct editions (Spidey-head box) for every 1 high-grade newsstand (UPC box) on Ebay. (Right now, there are 38 copies of ASM #300 CGC 9.6 on Ebay... zero are newsstand.) There's not much evidence that the market pays significantly more for newsstand than direct on ASM #300, but the high-grade newsstands for sale are effectively a 1:30 in the terms of today's variant-crazy industry.

Don't the early newsstands outnumber (or equal) the direct editions, then get rarer (relative to DEs)?

Yep. Newsstands were more common than direct editions until about mid-1980s. Late-1980s to present are more common as direct editions.

Just imagine if only 10 copies of Action #1 were printed...

The superhero would have been dead on arrival, paving the way for a series of big-budget, 21st-century, epic/blockbuster Katzenjammer Kids movies!!

:banana:

Just imagine if only 10 copies of Action #1 were printed.

Imagine if there was a chromium variant :idea:

Imagine if the original art still existed. lol

Met with Albert de Guzman last year who showed me the original re-makes of Action which he later auctioned at comicconnect

Man I wanted to buy the whole remake book so bad