• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Albert Moy's update with Rocketeer art!

20 posts in this topic

I'm surprised no one on the boards mentioned that Albert is now rep'ing Dave Steven's estate. He listed a bunch of Rocketeer art, even a few with Bettie Page :cloud9: ... I mean, Betty

When Dave's art was listed on galerie9art.fr I salivated over the quality and quantity of pages being offered. But found the prices prohibitive. Based on what pages Albert offered, I guess galerie9 sold only a handful of pages. Looks like Albert hit the sweet spot, with most of his pages selling out in a day.

Anybody else scratch their Dave Stevens itch?

Albert Moy site

Galerie 9 - 2014 Art Exhibit

Mike,

Not sure what the Stevens family has decided in regards to the original Rocketeer story published by Eclipse. Only art I have see is the New York Adventure. They might decide to sell pages from the first story, then you would need to dig deep!

That stuff is insane. Brushwork like that stands the test of time. I am so so sorry I never knew about Dave Stevens when he was working even though I was into comics. I'm speechless at trying to think how to convey my admiration when I see those pages.

Brian, I am 50 later this year and have been into comics steadily since college but just missed out entirely. I knew of The Rocketeer vaguely but that is it. Better late than never I guess and I have the AE now, one of the only ones I have read completely through. My daughter is an aspiring artist and I break it out to show her how it is done right, whether it is technique or characterization. (I show her the movie house crowd splash often, every face distinct and individual.) I haven't done that with any of the other 8 or so AEs I have.

It's great stuff, but after talking to Geoff Darrow a while back, he really helped remind me of just how much work was done by the batch of Dave Stevens' friends that helped him out for that New York Adventure series. So I guess I'd just remind anyone buying those originals that there were more artists involved in the final art than Dave Stevens.

I'd be very curious to hear what those other guys did on the book!

It's great stuff, but after talking to Geoff Darrow a while back, he really helped remind me of just how much work was done by the batch of Dave Stevens' friends that helped him out for that New York Adventure series. So I guess I'd just remind anyone buying those originals that there were more artists involved in the final art than Dave Stevens.

I'd be very curious to hear what those other guys did on the book!

The Deluxe Edition of the Rocketeer by IDW lists all the artists in the credits.

Volume 1 art assist by Jaimie Hernandez

Volume 2 art assist by: Art Adams, Geof Darrow, Gary Gianni, Mike Kaluta, Stan Manoukian, Sandy Plunkett, and Vince Roucher

The deluxe book has great examples of their contributes with pictures. Including pages that are only 20-50% by Stevens, with him focusing on a character or 2, the rest drawn by friends. The artists supplied finished pencils and inks on some pages, with Dave focusing on key faces. Though each page has it's own history.

I think you can tell which pages Dave penciled/laid out, especially the early NY issue pages with lots of small panels, their pacing is completely different. After that Kaluta laid out a bunch of the story, IMO you can see Art Adam's influence on many of the background characters in part 3. I think his friends had their strongest influence in issue 3.

Kelvin Mao may be able to shed light, if you have a specific question about art.

Mike,

Not sure what the Stevens family has decided in regards to the original Rocketeer story published by Eclipse. Only art I have see is the New York Adventure. They might decide to sell pages from the first story, then you would need to dig deep!

I only wish my pockets were that deep.

I'm surprised no one on the boards mentioned that Albert is now rep'ing Dave Steven's estate. He listed a bunch of Rocketeer art, even a few with Bettie Page :cloud9: ... I mean, Betty

When Dave's art was listed on galerie9art.fr I salivated over the quality and quantity of pages being offered. But found the prices prohibitive. Based on what pages Albert offered, I guess galerie9 sold only a handful of pages. Looks like Albert hit the sweet spot, with most of his pages selling out in a day.

Albert Moy site

There was mention of all of this in the little old Dave Stevens thread in the Copper Age forum. :whistle:

Albert Moy site

Wowza! Congrats to Dave's family and Albert. They definitely figured out the pricing this time. Looked to be about 20-60% off the prices in France.

Kicking myself now for not jumping on a page or two. Congrats to the buyers, as well!

There was mention of all of this in the little old Dave Stevens thread in the Copper Age forum. :whistle:

Ah, just found your post.

Is that right, more of Dave's Rocketeer art will be offered for sale? hm Does that include pages from vol 1?

Hopefully not too soon, some of us are tapped out from this round. :P

Ah, just found your post.

Is that right, more of Dave's Rocketeer art will be offered for sale? hm Does that include pages from vol 1?

Hopefully not too soon, some of us are tapped out from this round. :P

Just got confirmation: Nothing from the first story is being sold. This is it.

Congrats again to the buyers. I didn't expect that prices would be so much lower than before. What a great opportunity to get some gorgeous Stevens inks. (And Brian, I am very grateful to have the painting, but I still would love to get a nice inked piece!)

Just got confirmation: Nothing from the first story is being sold. This is it.

Congrats again to the buyers. I didn't expect that prices would be so much lower than before. What a great opportunity to get some gorgeous Stevens inks. (And Brian, I am very grateful to have the painting, but I still would love to get a nice inked piece!)

Felix thanks for clarifying , good for his family.

Your cover is incredible, I'm excited about my new inked page, but the cover from #1 is iconic, on another level. As an aside, I'm really enjoying your podcast. Fasinating that you rubbed elbows with Peter Jackson, let alone your New York / San Diego stories. I look forward to each episode.