• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

Everything in the CGI looks awesome other than the glaring omission of the spider symbol on the chest! What's the story there? Was Sony not allowed to use it (shrug)? Just doesn't seem like Venom without it 

The expanding/contracting eyes on Venom were interesting & looks like they pulled it off pretty well but uggh... that damn spider symbol...

On 8/1/2018 at 10:20 PM, IkewithMike said:

Hope you do understand why people are upset Spiderman isn't in it. I personally think, that going with Lethal Protector and Planet of the Symbiotes, that Spiderman has no part to play at all. He was in Lethal Protector more as a supporting act to make sure copies sold.

My logic comes to the conclusion that this will be a one off, like ones in the past, like Punisher.

There's going to be a sequel. It's been all but confirmed.

On 8/1/2018 at 8:55 PM, IkewithMike said:

I guess I'm the only one who isn't overly impressed with Tom Hardy's work. He's good, but definitely not as great as you guys make him out to be lol

Anyways, being someone who was a fan of Lethal Protector, I am happy with the elements they present in the trailer, however, making Carnage the "villain" in this is a terrible terrible mistake. If you are going to make a stand alone Venom film, (most likely filmS) you cannot crack Carnage out of the box like this. The Eddie Brock backstory is what made Venom, Venom. Having read that the movie is the combination of Lethal Protector and Planet of the Symbiotes, you have to use Carnage. I suppose I would be more supportive of a R rated Venom and Carnage, ala Logan, then something like this.

Then again, seeing how the Xmen and FF stories were butchered, I shouldn't be surprised. We definitely don't need another Peter Parker origin story, and fitting Venom into the new Spiderman would be challenging.

By all indications "Scream" will be the main villain. I think they're going to save Carnage for the sequel. Otherwise we would have gotten an indication or two of Woody Harelson in the symbiote by now.

Edit: it's not scream it's Riot as the supposed main antagonist. Getting my characters mixed up

I suppose they can get away with not including Spidey if they really wanted to with this lethal protector/planet of symbiotes/klyntar storyline but they'd be shortchanging themselves & the fans if they choose that route. I think most people would really prefer them to work in Spidey somehow. It'll make for a more successful Venom movie franchise

Edited by MGsimba77

4 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

There's going to be a sequel. It's been all but confirmed.

Movies that bomb, don't get sequels.  (See: Fantastic Four).  I'm not saying it's gonna bomb, I'm just saying that we'll have to wait and see how the movie does at the box office before we can claim anything is "all but confirmed."

As a child of the 80s/90s, and a fan of Spider-Man, Venom, and Tom Hardy, I really hope it does well.  But what I've seen from the trailers doesn't really inspire that much hope in me.  This isn't like the Infinity War trailer which just hyped me up so much.

14 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Oh please.  This movie is going to open at an easy #1 and probably do $125-$150MM opening weekend worldwide on its ~$70MM budget.  

-J.

I thinking about 100 million opening. $50 million domestic and $50 million international.

It wouldn't surprise me though if it hits your $125-$150 million bench mark because looking at the schedule Venom doesn't seem to have any strong competition.

I would say final tally would be in the $300 million range world wide,so with a $70 million budget and ending about $300 million we have to call that profitable.

9 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Movies that bomb, don't get sequels.  (See: Fantastic Four).  I'm not saying it's gonna bomb, I'm just saying that we'll have to wait and see how the movie does at the box office before we can claim anything is "all but confirmed."

As a child of the 80s/90s, and a fan of Spider-Man, Venom, and Tom Hardy, I really hope it does well.  But what I've seen from the trailers doesn't really inspire that much hope in me.  This isn't like the Infinity War trailer which just hyped me up so much.

You seem to be in the minority.  

Has anyone ever done a formal study of the correlation between trailer views and opening/final box office performance ?  It would be interesting to see something like that.  

Here's a few fun facts from a quick compilation that I just did (highest viewed official trailers only; domestic figures only):

Fantastic Four (2015) Trailer Views- 11MM; Opening Box Office- $25MM

Justice League Trailer Views- 34MM;Opening Box Office- $94MM

Suicide Squad Trailer Views- 85MM;Opening Box Office- $133MM

Wonder Woman Trailer Views- 29MM;Opening Box Office- $103MM

Avengers Infinity Wars Trailer Views-205MM; Opening Box Office- $258MM

Antman and Wasp Trailer Views- 25MM; Openong Box Office- $76MM

Logan Trailer Views- 25MM; Opening Box Office- $88MM

Deadpool 2 Trailer Views- 42MM; Opening Box Office- $125MM

Batman vs Superman Trailer Views- 72MM; Opening Box Office- $166MM

Aquaman Trailer Views- 35MM (8 days)

Shazam Trailer Views- 16MM (8 days)

Venom Trailer Views- 67MM 

++Venom Trailer 3 Views- 21MM (3 days)

Not hard to see why Sony's not worried.  (thumbsu

-J.

9 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Has anyone ever done a formal study of the correlation between trailer views and opening/final box office performance ?  It would be interesting to see something like that.  

Here's a few fun facts from a quick compilation that I just did (highest viewed official trailers only; domestic figures only):

-J.

i watched it 3 times just to revel in its awfulness

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

I'm for sure in the minority.  I'm one of those stubborn people that let my wallet speak.  I refused to watch BvS, Justice League, and Suicide Squad in theaters, just as I refused Fantastic Four and Age of Apocalypse.  At the very least I didn't go watch it opening weekend and waited for reviews from friends.  I think if more people took that approach, the production companies would learn and give us better sequels.

My only worry is the lack of International markets which this movie will be a hit.  I do see a lot of Spawn books going oversees so maybe there is a huge audience over there.  My guess is 90 - 95 Mill opening weekend ($55 US and 35 (40) International).

18 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Everything in the CGI looks awesome other than the glaring omission of the spider symbol on the chest! What's the story there? Was Sony not allowed to use it (shrug)? Just doesn't seem like Venom without it 

The expanding/contracting eyes on Venom were interesting & looks like they pulled it off pretty well but uggh... that damn spider symbol...

It hasnt bonded with Spider-Man yet, so there is not "emblem" for it to have.  

34 minutes ago, sd2416 said:

It hasnt bonded with Spider-Man yet, so there is not "emblem" for it to have.  

It was brought to earth by Peter Parker from Beyonder's battle word before it ever found Brock. I can only hope you're right but it'll take some interesting creative liberties for it to somehow bond with spider man after Brock :S.

Whatever... It'll just be cool to see a totally comic accurate Venom however it happens. Something closer to this version as opposed to the skinny butchered 2007 version. Maybe someday?

Anyways it'll be a much more coherent and comic accurate movie world if all these characters were controlled by just one big MCU! I can dream though...

Obviously rights issues forces Sony to tweak the origin (just as Marvel has had to tweak MANY things for the same reason, specifically, almost EVERYTHING in Civil War and Infinity Wars).  This is looking like a prequel/origin movie, but my sense is there's A LOT they aren't showing (good!), because Peter Parker does have a rumored appearance, and we have seen nothing of either Woody Harrelson (confirmed) or Toxin (also rumored) in any trailer or teaser yet.

-J.

12 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Obviously rights issues forces Sony to tweak the origin (just as Marvel has had to tweak MANY things for the same reason, specifically, almost EVERYTHING in Civil War and Infinity Wars).  This is looking like a prequel/origin movie, but my sense is there's A LOT they aren't showing (good!), because Peter Parker does have a rumored appearance, and we have seen nothing of either Woody Harrelson (confirmed) or Toxin (also rumored) in any trailer or teaser yet.

-J.

Toxin was shown in the trailer fighting Venom, I believe

I don't get people's complaints about the CGI. ??? This is the best and most realistic I can imagine the symbiote looking. It's not a particularly realistic concept for an organism--which is a huge part of its appeal for me since it can do so many physically-impossible but fantastic things--so it's going to look unrealistic by its very nature.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/3/2018 at 10:34 AM, ExNihilo said:

I'm for sure in the minority.  I'm one of those stubborn people that let my wallet speak.  I refused to watch BvS, Justice League, and Suicide Squad in theaters, just as I refused Fantastic Four and Age of Apocalypse.  At the very least I didn't go watch it opening weekend and waited for reviews from friends.  I think if more people took that approach, the production companies would learn and give us better sequels.

We have similar tastes, I too have avoided all those movies. The only one I have watched in that list was Age of Apocalypse and I was sorely disappointed. I knew it looked horrible in the trailers, but the actual movie was worse than I had imagined.

Being a huge Xmen fan from the early 80's to 90's, the entire Xmen franchise has been one disappointment to another, but that was the worst of the bunch. The makers of that movie just did not care one iota for the fan base and wanted to make money based on interest groups. Which proved their research was folly.

Going back to the topic at hand, it seems that the fanatics are taking a stand, rather than discussing the possibilities, which makes discussion of the film difficult. Hopefully more trailers will shed more light on the movie, as it stands, it looks like a hack job. Perhaps not a terrible hack job, but a hack job nonetheless.

But I too am in the minority, while I haven't perused the Deadpool 2 threads yet, I can imagine a stir when I mention Cable was absolutely terrible, oh Josh Brolin did his best, his portrayal was ok, but he sure didn't have much to work with. Deadpool 2 is what I imagine Venom will be. Ok, but really, not good at all.

1 hour ago, IkewithMike said:

We have similar tastes, I too have avoided all those movies. The only one I have watched in that list was Age of Apocalypse and I was sorely disappointed. I knew it looked horrible in the trailers, but the actual movie was worse than I had imagined.

I have a co-worker who buys the movies on blu-ray so I just borrowed his copy of BvS: Extended because he said it would be better.  It was still pretty bad that it makes me wonder how much worse the theatrical release was.  Justice League and Suicide Squad, I watched on flights.  I honestly can't remember anything about Suicide Squad other than it was completely forgettable.  But, I can say in all 3 cases, the trailers turned out to be a good predictor of how big a pile of steaming :censored: the actual movies were.

The bottom line is that the people who put together the trailers usually do a pretty good job of making the movies look compelling, interesting, exciting, etc.  I mean, name a good comic book movie, that had a bad trailer?  The only one that comes to memory recently is Black Panther and that trailer wasn't even that bad (the Golden Jaguar trailer reveal just made me worry that it was gonna be like any other Marvel movie where the hero fights an evil mirror version of himself).  If a person putting together a trailer can't manage to make a good trailer, to me that implies that the footage they were given to work with wasn't that good to begin with.  There's obviously no correlation between the two, but it also doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feelings.

With that being said, I still don't have enough reservations to not watch Venom. I just won't be going to the theater to do so, probably catch it on Netflix