• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/venom-r-rating-not-confirmed-pg13-spider-man-crossover-1201992715/

They're shooting for a PG 13 for a potential future Tom Holland crossover

In that article, the director talks about keeping it real with Venom because he "eats brains".  Where and when did he start doing this in the comic books?  I don't remember that in the McFarlane, Larsen or Bagley runs but maybe I'm mistaken.  

Anyways, PG-13 is not a good sign for a movie that was supposed to tentpole the Halloween season.  

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

In that article, the director talks about keeping it real with Venom because he "eats brains".  Where and when did he start doing this in the comic books?  I don't remember that in the McFarlane, Larsen or Bagley runs but maybe I'm mistaken.  

Anyways, PG-13 is not a good sign for a movie that was supposed to tentpole the Halloween season.  

i think this is going to tentpole anyone expecting it to be any good

12 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I was really hoping the movie would be R-rated (still might be(shrug)).

Anywho, here's my point...how is this a bad sign?  Why is everybody freaking out about this?  Go back to a time before Deadpool and Wolverine.  Everybody said a successful comic book movie had to be PG (or PG13).  Everybody claimed that an R-rated comic book movie can't be a blockbuster.  Now that's all changed???  Everything has to be R-rated to be successful???

Not saying it needs to be PG-13 or R-rated...just seems that a lot of people are stuck in the moment with their opinions.

***Not you specifically...overall general statement

The more violent the character the more the R rating helps.  It was always pretty lame to see Wolverine nail people with his claws and see no visible effect before Logan.  Venom is a pretty violent character, so it'd be nice if they had made it R.  The fact that they didn't suggests they're skeptical of the film's quality or appeal and want to widen the available audience.

14 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

This has already been asked here a number of times & I'm surprised people don't know about it.

The early Venom alluded to it a few times like the (first image I listed from ASM #333). Brock did his best to fight the symbiotes desire for brains & other cannibalism in general. He was able to stop it for the most part. 

In "Venom the hunger" (1996) 4 issue series you see Venom eating brains & other body parts as I listed in the the other pics.

Venom later becomes full cannibal in mid 2000's when Mac Gargan assumes the symbiote and of course has no interest in containing Venom's unsavory impulses

Amazing-Spiderman-333.jpg

4679657-9564657502-f512f.jpg

hunger-venom-1.jpg

4679654-5654364102-32602.jpg

hunger-venom-3.jpg

4679653-3007547290-tumbl.png

Edited by MGsimba77

On 8/9/2018 at 4:53 PM, MGsimba77 said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/venom-r-rating-not-confirmed-pg13-spider-man-crossover-1201992715/

Welp this pretty much guarantees a PG 13 rating.  Definitely not what would be my preference for this character though my only consolation is there have been quite a few PG 13 movies that have pushed the limits of that rating.  

I suppose this also means we will have to wait for the DVD release to get the "hard R unrated cut" that we were initially promised for the theaters.  

-J.

On 8/9/2018 at 5:53 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Is that because Holland is still 12 and would not be able to watch it if it were rated and higher?

15 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Welp this pretty much guarantees a PG 13 rating.  Definitely not what would be my preference for this character though my only consolation is there have been quite a few PG 13 movies that have pushed the limits of that rating.  

I suppose this also means we will have to wait for the DVD release to get the "hard R unrated cut" that we were initially promised for the theaters.  

-J.

This also guarantees 100 million dollar opening world wide. (thumbsu

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Just when you think Hollywood is finally getting it, after Deadpool and Logan.

The character is an anti-hero, they play better in edgier 'R"-rated films.

PG-13 guarantees, a CG army of aliens, bug-eyed zombies, drones, Ultron-bots, demons, to defeat like a videogame.

This mess was boring in '62 with Dr. No, with all the bad guys in matching jumpsuits.

Raise the stakes a little, stop being family friendly!

What next a PG-13 Crow reboot?

This article makes it seem like a lot of follow-on movies are dependent on this movie's success...to include a Kraven the Hunter movie. Unless I missed something, this is the first confirmation I've seen that a Kraven movie is officially in the works...very nonchalant. If any of this is true, we now have even more at stake with Venom's success.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/420151-sonys-marvel-universe-updates-silver-and-black-splitting-into-two-more#/slide/1

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

This article makes it seem like a lot of follow-on movies are dependent on this movie's success...to include a Kraven the Hunter movie. Unless I missed something, this is the first confirmation I've seen that a Kraven movie is officially in the works...very nonchalant. If any of this is true, we now have even more at stake with Venom's success.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/420151-sonys-marvel-universe-updates-silver-and-black-splitting-into-two-more#/slide/1

I think Kraven is going to be a very interesting movie. I think the resistance with these movies is the fans think Spidey will not be involved, but we don't know that yet. Reminds me of the last Star Wars movie were everybody was upset Luke died, but now he is coming back for the next one. I think we must watch Venom first before final judgement.

17 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think Kraven is going to be a very interesting movie. I think the resistance with these movies is the fans think Spidey will not be involved, but we don't know that yet. Reminds me of the last Star Wars movie were everybody was upset Luke died, but now he is coming back for the next one. I think we must watch Venom first before final judgement.

That's a good point. I forget, why can't spidey be in them? Is that part of their deal with Disney? Because I have a hard time picturing a Kraven movie without Spidey...

Edited by Callaway29
replaced MCU with Disney

8 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

That's a good point. I forget, why can't spidey be in them? Is that part of their deal with Disney? Because I have a hard time picturing a Kraven movie without Spidey...

Sony also has plans for Mysterio & Morbius...

Sony & the MCU have a production/licensing merchandising deal for spider man movie involvement. If a Sony movie has an R rating it would make it less likely that the MCU would agree to produce future movies financed by Sony that include Holland as Parker

This is an explanation from the article I linked at the bottom...

But since Sony has the license for Peter Parker, why can’t he have a cameo in Venom you ask? Because if Tom Holland shows up, even for a split second, in Venom, by association that immediately means that Venom has to exist within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And because Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios run a very tight ship and develop their movies for years before pulling the trigger, there’s no way Feige and Co. are going to let a film they’ve had no input on just all of a sudden “become” canon in the MCU—especially an R-rated Venom movie.

It’s entirely possible that when it comes time to renegotiate, Marvel Studios comes onboard as a partner and does start to develop these other “spinoff” movies, but as of right now the only films that are officially MCU canon are the ones involving Tom Holland as Peter Parker.

http://collider.com/spider-man-marvel-sony-deal-explained/#mcu

Edited by MGsimba77
Verbiage