• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I look at it as just one step closer to Sony ultimately and wisely deciding to just leave this all to the comics professionals.

kevin_feige.jpg

White socks, black shoes..... just lost credibility. 

17 minutes ago, bane said:
31 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I look at it as just one step closer to Sony ultimately and wisely deciding to just leave this all to the comics professionals.

kevin_feige.jpg

White socks, black shoes..... just lost credibility. 

The Feige leaves superfluous stuff like fashion sense to the Avi Arads and Ike Perlmutters of the world.  He's too busy being a comics nerd to worry about such trivialities.  :angel:

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - it was at 29% positive two hours ago.

Now it's at 27% positive.

Even Suicide Squad settled at 28% after all the reviews were in.

There's only 35 reviews on RT at the moment  (9 yay and 26 nay) - so the score could jump around quite a bit until the number of reviews increases.

This movie looked like trouble from the start, just like Dark Phoenix.  Problem with non-MCU and DC is the execs just want to slap a label on it and hope it sells.  MCU is the only brand where they focus on quality - which is why they can take no name GOTG and turn it into a blockbluster.

8 minutes ago, 234wallst said:

There's only 35 reviews on RT at the moment  (9 yay and 26 nay) - so the score could jump around quite a bit until the number of reviews increases.

The overwhelmingly common pattern is the scores go down by about ten points from the beginning until a week after release.

9 minutes ago, 234wallst said:

This movie looked like trouble from the start

He's an exceptionally difficult character to translate to a standalone film; maybe the hardest in either universe tried to date.  Deadpool is similarly challenging in being an anti-hero, but he's got the extreme humor going for him that Ryan Reynolds brought to life in a way I had no idea was possible.  Venom is quite different though because he's just dark and dark with an extra helping of dark layered on top.  I've never seen the character done in a way in the comics that would ever appeal to a mass audience, so I was baffled by Sony's persistence over the last decade in getting a film about him out.  I'm glad it happened though, I'm thinking I might like it knowing that most reviewers were never going to.

Based on my limited sample size I’m hearing more people wanting to go to the stupid Gaga movie this weekend.  I think my original 1st weekend may be high.  Could be a 35-40mil movie based on what I’m hearing.  Hopefully there is some bad weather to push people into the theaters.

I don't like the idea of seeing a "comedy" Venom movie... It should be horror. Idc if it doesn't pander to mass-audiences. Do a yourself a favor and respect both the source material and the actual comic book fans (see: Zack Snyder). I don't care about critics and most critics don't care about comic books. Make movies for the people actually interested in what the movies are supposed to derive from. If audience scores are decent this weekend then I'll still plan on seeing this.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

He's an exceptionally difficult character to translate to a standalone film; maybe the hardest in either universe tried to date.  Deadpool is similarly challenging in being an anti-hero, but he's got the extreme humor going for him that Ryan Reynolds brought to life in a way I had no idea was possible.  Venom is quite different though because he's just dark and dark with an extra helping of dark layered on top.  I've never seen the character done in a way in the comics that would ever appeal to a mass audience, so I was baffled by Sony's persistence over the last decade in getting a film about him out.  I'm glad it happened though, I'm thinking I might like it knowing that most reviewers were never going to.

I call BS on his being "exceptionally difficult" to translate.

If New Line could produce a successful Rated R Blade movie 20 years ago, there's no excuse for Sony's failure to do likewise with Venom today.

To say nothing of Blade II's being a straight masterpiece.

But no - let's half- it with a cartoony PG-13 take...

How great are the venom comics anyways?

if much of the characters origin and purpose (no Spider-Man) is removed what did people expect to happen???

Edited by jsilverjanet

I used to oppose the “give marvel the movie” but I’m all for it now. I want people to see the same marvel movie recycled over and over again starring your favorite superheroes 

The MCU has an excellent track record. Infinity War proved that, despite the regurgitation that they have a "formula", the MCU is more than capable of flexing their chops.

Despite a movie like Doctor Strange being too similar in origin to Iron Man, it was still an extremely different movie in nature, and IMO it's amazing.

Venom in the hands of Marvel Studios would do nothing but good things for the character. If Sony can't get it right and make an R-rated horror movie of the solo property, then they need to stop.

After actually reading the majority of the critics comments and descriptions (a mix of the macabre and absurd with lots of positive nods to Hardy) and many of the critics essentially saying they enjoyed it for what it was (despite RT still giving those reviewers a "negative") the movie looks to be mostly what I was expecting.  (thumbsu

-J.

PS: Still tracking at ~$65MM.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2018/film/box-office/box-office-preview-venom-a-star-is-born-lady-gaga-1202965910/amp/

41 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

If New Line could produce a successful Rated R Blade movie 20 years ago, there's no excuse for Sony's failure to do likewise with Venom today.

Blade got better reviews, but those were mixed as well with 54% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Venom's box office is likely to be similar to Blade's as well even adjusted for inflation.  It is a good comparative example though in that both Venom and Blade are very dark action superhero flicks.

Edited by fantastic_four

12 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Blade got better reviews, but those were mixed as well with 54% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Venom's box office is likely to be similar to Blade's as well even adjusted for inflation.  It is a good comparative example though in that both Venom and Blade are very dark action superhero flicks.

This has yet to be determined...

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I knew Jaydogrules would jerk the movie off no matter how "bad" it seems. I almost want to hate this movie just because of him.

If they omitted the "turd in the wind" portion of the 2nd trailer I might be much more optimistic.

Hi Bosco.  :hi:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules