• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

He's pretty different from Bosco.  Bosco had a slight but persistent tendency to argue endlessly about a subject he felt he was right about, but he didn't do it about almost every subject and usually tried to be polite and often wanted to make amends after a heated exchange if the other person was being at least relatively civil.  Bosco is more like a labrador, TwoPiece more like the calmer varieties of pit like the American Bulldog.

American_Bulldog_Posing.ashx?w=450&hash=

I'm more like a toyger:

Toyger-cat-breed.jpg

This may be my bias towards cats showing, but my guess is that you've inspired a much larger percentage of people exposed to you to want to punch you in the face than the average tabby cat has.  hm

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

He's pretty different from Bosco.  Bosco had a slight but persistent tendency to argue endlessly about a subject he felt he was right about, but he didn't do it about almost every subject and usually tried to be polite and often wanted to make amends after a heated exchange if the other person was being at least relatively civil.  Bosco is more like a labrador, TwoPiece more like the calmer varieties of pit like the American Bulldog.

American_Bulldog_Posing.ashx?w=450&hash=

Bosco sounds like any other online discussion participant. :whatthe:

Meanwhile, the critics can say what they want about this movie. I'll be there with my ticket to judge for myself.

Now, back to the rumors of dual accounts and that Bosco fellow. (:

Edited by Bosco685

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

The MCU has an excellent track record. Infinity War proved that, despite the regurgitation that they have a "formula", the MCU is more than capable of flexing their chops.

Despite a movie like Doctor Strange being too similar in origin to Iron Man, it was still an extremely different movie in nature, and IMO it's amazing.

Venom in the hands of Marvel Studios would do nothing but good things for the character. If Sony can't get it right and make an R-rated horror movie of the solo property, then they need to stop.

I absolutely agree with your assertion that Marvel characters would always be in better hands with the MCU and that source material shouldn't be tossed aside in these movies. Just curious, I assume you believe any Venom movie should be an R rated horror film or am I mistaken to assume?

In such case why would you think Disney would agree to put out an R rated horror film even if it's dedicated to a comic book character??? When has Disney ever released anything close to a violent horror film?

Anyways if there's anything good to come out of a less than stellar performance here it's that these non MCU entities may just stop attempting comic movies all together. If they're determined to ignore the character's source material because these Sony writers & producers know better then please don't bother. If there's indeed a God Sony will just relent and sell all it's Marvel toys to Disney however this movie performs!

That being said I have enjoyed the trailers and being a Venom fan am hoping for a successful performance here. 

Have no idea how predictive critics or rotten tomatoes is? Barely even heard of rotten tomatoes?

16 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I absolutely agree with your assertion that Marvel characters would always be in better hands with the MCU and that source material shouldn't be tossed aside in these movies. Just curious, I assume you believe any Venom movie should be an R rated horror film or am I mistaken to assume?

In such case why would you think Disney would agree to put out an R rated horror film even if it's dedicated to a comic book character??? When has Disney ever released anything close to a violent horror film?

Anyways if there's anything good to come out of a less than stellar performance here it's that these non MCU entities may just stop attempting comic movies all together. If they're determined to ignore the character's source material because these Sony writers & producers know better then please don't bother. If there's indeed a God Sony will just relent and sell all it's Marvel toys to Disney however this movie performs!

That being said I have enjoyed the trailers and being a Venom fan am hoping for a successful performance here. 

Have no idea how predictive critics or rotten tomatoes is? Barely even heard of rotten tomatoes?

A non-Spider-Man titular Venom movie, not released by Disney, would have been best suited as an R-rated horror movie. This was a huge opportunity missed by Sony.

Under Disney, I don't expect there to be a solo Venom movie, and I don't think they'll ever distribute an R-rated MCU film (I don't think Disney does any R-rated films).

I'm a fan of the Venom character, and I still want to be optimistic about this movie, but the "turd in the wind" end to Trailer 2 and the current dialogue of the movie being "comedy-heavy" have me so down.

I very rarely tend to agree with the Critic Rating on RT. The Force Awakens might be the last movie that I liked in which critics favorably reviewed. My family and I usually get excited about movies when critics ____ on them (Fan4stic not included). Venom could follow that trend, but it's looking more and more unlikely.

Edited by TwoPiece

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

This may be my bias towards cats showing, but my guess is that you've inspired a much larger percentage of people exposed to you to want to punch you in the face than the average tabby cat has.  hm

If 1 person has ever wanted to punch me in the face, isn't that already more than the amount of people that want to punch a cat in the face..? Don't most people in their lives have other people wanting to punch them in the face at some point, for something that they've said/done, or otherwise..?

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

A non-Spider-Man titular Venom movie, not released by Disney, would have been best suited as an R-rated horror movie. This was a huge opportunity missed by Sony.

Under Disney, I don't expect there to be a solo Venom movie, and I don't think they'll ever distribute an R-rated MCU film (I don't think Disney does any R-rated films).

I'm a fan of the Venom character, and I still want to be optimistic about this movie, but the "turd in the wind" end to Trailer 2 and the current dialogue of the movie being "comedy-heavy" have me so down.

I very rarely tend to agree with the Critic Rating on RT. The Force Awakens might be the last movie that I liked in which critics favorably reviewed. My family and I usually get excited about movies when critics ____ on them (Fan4stic not included). Venom could follow that trend, but it's looking more and more unlikely.

http://www.businessinsider.com/venom-rated-pg-13-so-that-character-can-meet-spider-man-in-future-2018-9

Meanwhile I think it's a bit of an overreaction to be obsessed over one line in one trailer. It's just a line in the movie. Why let it influence your outlook of the whole thing?

I'm just withholding any objections I have until I see the movie and/or learn of any future plans they have with possible sequels. If I think it blows I'll be all over Sony like flies on dog s**t! Don't have any positive or negative preconceptions. Just waiting till I see. 

Edited by MGsimba77

52 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Evidently this movie is coming out tomorrow instead of Friday.  

Nah - Friday's still the official release date.

It's just that the "Thursday night previews" have been pushed up from midnight to (here) as early as 5:00 pm. Same with A Star Is Born.

It's now broken 30% positive and is rising -- 31% right now.

Here are my two favorite pull quotes from two of the positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes:

"It's a mess, but wow is it ever a fun, fascinating mess."

"As a superhero movie, it's nothing special. As a cannibal comedy, it's priceless."

Looks like I'm going to have to grab my buddy, get Ghost Rider-drunk, and catch a matinee.

8 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I see some are still in the denial phase... It’s ok...you’re not alone, green lantern still hurts...

this movie had more tells it was going to be awful than a bad poker player w/ OCD

1)Sony's Spider-Man 3

2)Sony's Amazing Spider-Man

3)Sony's Amazing Spider-Man 2

4)the trailers

5)no Spider-Man

6)PG-13

7)the up to the last minute review embargo

Edited by paperheart

On 3/23/2018 at 11:03 AM, valiantman said:

It occurs to me that there are so many superhero movies that it is at least possible that a studio would do the following:

1) Take source material that is lacking a key element (such as Venom without Spider-man)

2) Create a low-budget movie, designed to earn money only in the first weekend, netting a profit because of the low budget

3) Use the outrage from fans and discouragement with the movie to fuel the support for a reboot.

4) Reboot the character in a new movie for fans with the key element added and increase the budget (Venom, awesome graphics, with Spider-man).

5) Rake. It. In.

I called it!  March 23rd. lol

I'm seeing it as a prescreening tonight.  :whee:

I would report back, but I seemed to think that the predator movie prescreen wasn't too too bad. I may have ruined my street cred lol

But seriously, it takes a lot to ruin something for me, such as the prescreen for Bad Times at the El Royale that was horrible....

20181003_112025.jpg

Dude Sam De la Rosa showed up lol with posters to sign haha. To the prescreening, for those who don't know, he's a really good dude and does a lot of Dallas stuff...or is always at con's... real nice guy :)

20181003_183425.jpg

20181003_183454.jpg

Watching it tomorrow.

Venom is over the top.  Excessive.  Not philosophical.  My 10 year old self fell in love with the character over (relatively) boring Spidey... ‘nuff said.

I feel there’s almost no way any faithful Venom movie could do well with the critics, short of them doing something cerebral like the Venom #155 story.

That said, this should’ve been rated R.